CBS.com 2018 Re-Draft: Allen to Jets, Bills take Rosen; Robert Foster, Levi Wallace go in 1st round

YoloinOhio

Now's the appropriate time to take in everything we witnessed during the NFL season and re-examine the famed, quarterback-driven 2018 NFL Draft. 

A career isn't made or broken after one season, but factoring in rookie years and projecting forward, let's piece together a re-draft for the 2018 class.

Guidelines

With this re-draft we are assuming: 

• All rookies from the 2018 class (including undrafted free agents) have been removed from their respective NFL rosters and are free to be selected.
  • If a rookie is not included in the top 32 here, they would revert back to the round in which they were originally drafted and to the team that picked them. Original first-rounders not included in this first round would stay with their current teams too.
  • All veteran transactions made during the 2018 season are in tact (Khalil Mack trade, Amari Cooper trade, etc.).
  • The below selections are what I would do as the GM of every team (while considering coaches' schemes, etc.), not what I think the GMs of each teams would do.
  • The draft order is based on the real order on April 26, 2018, before the draft began.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-redraft-saquon-barkley-lands-with-patriots-giants-pick-sam-darnold/

12. Buffalo Bills

Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA. We'll probably never know for sure how much the Bills were interested in Rosen. However, in reality they did trade up with him on the board and picked Allen instead. So, they couldn't have been too enthralled. Yes, Rosen had a disastrous rookie season. But he was also placed in the worse situation of any of the first-round quarterbacks and does have the wide-ranging skill to be a franchise quarterback.

22. Buffalo Bills

Braden Smith, OT/OG, Auburn. Whether it be for Josh Allen in reality or Josh Rosen in this hypothetical, the impact a receiver can make is largely contingent upon his quarterback ... who needs to be protected. Smith was a road-grader at guard at Auburn and acclimated amazingly to the right tackle position for the Colts as a rookie. Had it not been for his teammate at left guard, we would've heard much more about Smith during the season. He's a powerful player with light feet and good technique.

26. Atlanta Falcons

Robert Foster, WR, Alabama. Foster spent time on waivers this season following the Bills releasing him from the practice squad mid-way through the year. That was the wake-up call he needed, as he erupted in Buffalo down the stretch with 27 receptions for 541 yards (20.0 yards per grab) from Week 10 on after being re-signed to the practice squad and promoted to the active roster. Foster managed a monstrous 12.2 yards per target too. He'd be a fun complement to Julio Jones.

Edited by YoloinOhio

ummmm.... and here's literally the most important part of the article, that op for some reason left out:

3. New York Jets: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming. Allen's opening handful of games in Buffalo were brutal at best, and strangely, the injury that shelved him for a month proved to be a godsend. He looked like a different, considerably more confident quarterback in November and December than he did in September and October. The Jets moved up before the draft to guarantee themselves a top signal-caller, and they get one in this re-draft.

Edited by JohnnyGold
  • Like (+1) 2

They have Levi Wallace going 20th to Detroit, too.

So not one but TWO of the Bills UDFAs would now go in the 1st round in this hypothetical re-draft.

If Allen and Edmunds turn out to be the real deal, then you add in Taron Johnson (who looks like a steal at nickel), Harrison Phillips (who looks to be, at worst, a quality rotational tackle), Wyatt Teller (who I'd be willing to bet will get a shot to start the coming season at LG or RG) and Foster and Wallace in UDFA...it will be considered one of -- if not THE -- all time great rookie classes for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

They have Levi Wallace going 20th to Detroit, too.

So not one but TWO of the Bills UDFAs would now go in the 1st round in this hypothetical re-draft.

If Allen and Edmunds turn out to be the real deal, then you add in Taron Johnson (who looks like a steal at nickel), Harrison Phillips (who looks to be, at worst, a quality rotational tackle), Wyatt Teller (who I'd be willing to bet will get a shot to start the coming season at LG or RG) and Foster and Wallace in UDFA...it will be considered one of -- if not THE -- all time great rookie classes for the Bills.

I somehow missed Wallace the 1st time I looked at it. So we lost Edmunds but gained Foster and Wallace in “1st round worthy rookies”

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

ummmm.... and here's literally the most important part of the article, that op for some reason left out:

3. New York Jets: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming. Allen's opening handful of games in Buffalo were brutal at best, and strangely, the injury that shelved him for a month proved to be a godsend. He looked like a different, considerably more confident quarterback in November and December than he did in September and October. The Jets moved up before the draft to guarantee themselves a top signal-caller, and they get one in this re-draft.

I didn’t leave it out? Allen to Jets is in the thread title 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

20. Detroit Lions

Levi Wallace, CB, Alabama. Wallace didn't get the call-up from the Bills practice squad until November. After that, he proved he should've been Buffalo's No. 2 cornerback all season. The undrafted free agent, who walked on at Alabama, defended three passes and had 37 tackles in seven games down the stretch for the Bills and was consistently glued to receivers on the outside.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Oh, and one more thing: Saquon Barkley dropping all the way to 23rd or whatever is just silly. He had 2000 all purpose yards as a rookie, right? And now he drops 21 spots in the re-draft? Nonsense.

That would never happen as he says, he thinks gettleman would take him all over again. He’s going by what he would do if he were these teams, and doesn’t put a lot of value on the RB position. 

• Like (+1) 2

26. Robert Foster, WR, Alabama. Foster spent time on waivers this season following the Bills releasing him from the practice squad mid-way through the year. That was the wake-up call he needed, as he erupted in Buffalo down the stretch with 27 receptions for 541 yards (20.0 yards per grab) from Week 10 on after being re-signed to the practice squad and promoted to the active roster. Foster managed a monstrous 12.2 yards per target too. He'd be a fun complement to Julio Jones

Foster and Wallace in the first round??

Wonder where Trapazoid has his No 1 QB pre draft Mason Rudolph going?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Wow they wanted the Bills to take the disaster known as Rosen... I thought he would have dropped out of the first round easily.

He seems to think he was put in a bad situation (is Buffalo’s offense much better?) and that he still has the chops to be a franchize QB. I mean, maybe. 

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Oh, and one more thing: Saquon Barkley dropping all the way to 23rd or whatever is just silly. He had 2000 all purpose yards as a rookie, right? And now he drops 21 spots in the re-draft? Nonsense.

This portion of the re-draft, is absolute nonsense. I’m rarely for going RB in the first round, but Barkley doesn’t fall out of the top 10 in any stretch of the imagination. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So Our two undrafted rookies are the 3rd WR and CB of the board.

A few things.

Fire McBeane!

Do people still not think Foster is #1 WR capable.

32 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

This portion of the re-draft, is absolute nonsense. I’m rarely for going RB in the first round, but Barkley doesn’t fall out of the top 10 in any stretch of the imagination. 

This is really based on need. Rather than BPA.  Also I would not take Darnold over Allen and neither would the Giants.  

How are these Defenses that are designed to defend against the spread going to deal with a 250 LB locomotive.  If he continues to improve as a passer he will be the next nightmare for AFC East teams.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yup, absent. :(

No Roquan Smith either 

#21.

I'm not sure what any of this means, and I seriously question some of these assumptions, but I think the Bill did a lot better with Allen and Edmunds that if they had gotten Rosen and Smith.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 4