Hogan will be gone?

1 minute ago, Success said:

I don’t dislike Hogan, but he is one of the most overhyped players of all time.  A very average receiver.  If we picked him up, my most enthusiastic reaction would be a barely perceptible shrug.

Is he the best lacrosse player in the NFL since Jim Brown? That’s lofty territory! 

?

19 hours ago, Utah John said:

I don't think so.  Edelman was superb in this year's SB.  Two years ago Hogan was superb.  They all fall off a cliff about now.  

Gronk is beat up.  I don't know if he's finished or not.  He can still play but the wear and tear have taken their toll.  If he retires and Hogan is cut, Edelman will not be sufficient.  He can be contained if the defense doesn't need to respect anyone else.  Josh Gordon might not be back.  If the only serious WR threat the Pats have is Edelman, he can be covered.  Of course, Belichick will figure something out as he always does, but the solution will have to be more than Edelman.

I like Hogan, but he's not been anywhere near the same caliber as Edelman, ever.  No one could stop him.  Gronk or no Gronk.  Gordon?? He's been gone for weeks and was never a threat.

Edelman is NE's only "WR threat"....

21 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

He was targeted 6 times and caught 0.  On the last one you could see Brady look right at him and let out an expletive.  I thought then that he's not going to throw to him again.   His contract is up, and he only caught 35 passes in the regular season.  While he was surprisingly important in last years Super Bowl and made a fantastic one hand grab against KC, I'm still thinking when you disappoint in the Super Bowl, Belichick (and Brady) are going to remember it.   If I recall on most of those targets he was thoroughly blanketed - and the passes weren't all that great, but I suspect he's going to bear the brunt of it and be somewhere else next year.

His last 2 seasons with the Pats were basically the exact same season he had his last year in Buffalo as well...dude is an average NFL receiver that works hard but just isn't that good.

Edited by matter2003

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

2016 with the Pats 58 targets for 38 catches

2017 with the Pats 59 targets for 34 catches

2018 with the Pats 55 targets for 35 catches

He's doing what they want. 35 is plenty, or they'd have gotten rid of him before. They don't throw a lot to their outside guys. He isn't making a ton. They might keep him or let him go but it won't be because he suddenly hasn't been doing enough.

...good work bud......gonna send the stat rats into a frenzy......plenty of rants about what the Pats paid him as well.....just doing his job.....we have this guy who gets paid a big buck while quietly going about his job and never appearing in the "Monday Stat Headlines"......sound familiar??........

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I saw a few Peterman-esque type throws during the year, but wasn’t sure how much I was hoping and praying it was the beginning of the end. The mind does funny things....

But the arm does NOT last forever. I remember when Kelly lost it, and it was not pretty there for a while. I can’t wait for it to be obvious for Tommy, and hope it’s early in a season so I can watch the rest of the year. ? 

If anyone can hide him though... hoodie

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hogan has always been so overrated. But he did not get a single clean catchable ball in the SuperBowl.  Maybe that was him not getting separation, but Brady did him no favors either.  For as awful as Goff was, Brady was not much better.  The seam pass to Gronk was a good ball but even that one hung a little.  He put a few passes in the turf and the INT was a misread.

I thought so too, especially the last 3rd of the game or so. 

I am willing to give Brady some benefit of the doubt because of his career. But I am hoping it’s a sign that next year he struggles mightily. 

I don’t want Brady to ride off into the sunset. I want him to have a terrible season where his body fails him. Where the heir apparent takes the reigns and Brady gets benched because of struggles. We deserve that in Buffalo. If that means he wins the Super Bowl in 2019/20, so be it. But I want that season. 

20 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's done in NE and that was obvious Sunday. At least he got a couple rings out of it to show his grandchildren. 

Maybe he can go back to Miami, full circle from where he started. They just hired the Pats longtime WR coach as OC. 

On 2/5/2019 at 8:01 PM, ROCBillsBeliever said:

There, I fixed it for you. 

PEDS do a body good :thumbsup:

On 2/5/2019 at 11:16 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Hogan has always been so overrated. But he did not get a single clean catchable ball in the SuperBowl.  Maybe that was him not getting separation, but Brady did him no favors either.  For as awful as Goff was, Brady was not much better.  The seam pass to Gronk was a good ball but even that one hung a little.  He put a few passes in the turf and the INT was a misread.

TB 12 needs to hit the weights, he is looking weak and frail. Might be time to eat real food again and get off the anorexia diet.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Only 2,500 more yards and 16 tds and D’Rick will be there!

personally, I’d struggle to bash a guy who started for the best team in nfl history for multiple seasons when I wanted him cut for a guy who had 3 career nfl catches.  You know you’re one of my favorite posters but this is kinda petty.  Hogan isn’t a star but he’s a better career than the vast majority of more talented receivers.  I’d love to have his resume. 

He has a better resume. We are in agreement. My point is that a zillion guys could have produced his resume given his opportunity. He’s a total JAG that is a product of opportunity. 

I argued in that thread, and have in a million others that I will ALWAYS take talent at the bottom of my roster. You can cycle through guys until one hits. I’d never protect guys that are going to be 2 catch a game guys. I can find guys on the street like that all day long. I’ll take the guys with the physical skills and hope that they hit. Once in a while you get Jason Peters but normally you get Mike Jasper. I’d take 1 Jason Peters and 5 Mike Jaspers over 6 Andre Holmes’. Hogan’s 35 catches a year aren’t changing my mind on that. I said that 5 years ago (or whenever it was) and still believe that now.

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He has a better resume. We are in agreement. My point is that a zillion guys could have produced his resume given his opportunity. He’s a total JAG that is a product of opportunity. 

I argued in that thread, and have in a million others that I will ALWAYS take talent at the bottom of my roster. You can cycle through guys until one hits. I’d never protect guys that are going to be 2 catch a game guys. I can find guys on the street like that all day long. I’ll take the guys with the physical skills and hope that they hit. Once in a while you get Jason Peters but normally you get Mike Jasper. I’d take 1 Jason Peters and 5 Mike Jaspers over 6 Andre Holmes’. Hogan’s 35 catches a year aren’t changing my mind on that. I said that 5 years ago (or whenever it was) and still believe that now.

Kirby: If what you're saying is true, why does he almost always lead the skill players in snaps for that team? I'm not saying he's super-talented - he obviously isn't - but in the NE system an ability to do multiple things and consistently (dare I say it) "do your job" from play to play is regarded as a huge asset. Belichick's basic view is that winning revolves around making fewer mistakes than the opponent, and the league is filled with coaches who are dumber than NE's coaches and players who are just one step above a box of rocks on the dumb scale.  With regard to the Pats, I always go back to Michael Floyd (an idiot as a player): the Pats picked him up late in 2016 because he was super-talented, and then in his first or second game he ran a lazy route where he went to far and rounded it rather than running a crisp, short square in. The ball was picked, Brady was clearly pissed, and I don't think he ever saw another reception opportunity again after that play. 

Frankly, I think you overestimate high-physical talent guys vis-a-vis guys like Hogan. Ideally, you want guys who are physically talented AND smart-on-the-field players. There's a reason guys like Tyler Lockett excel despite not being nearly the physical speciman that Floyd was. Brains, discipline, and consistency matter so much in a game where mistake-proneness is the surest way to lose games. (Don't get me wrong; Lockett is definitely talented enough, but he is small.)

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Kirby: If what you're saying is true, why does he almost always lead the skill players in snaps for that team? I'm not saying he's super-talented - he obviously isn't - but in the NE system an ability to do multiple things and consistently (dare I say it) "do your job" from play to play is regarded as a huge asset. Belichick's basic view is that winning revolves around making fewer mistakes than the opponent, and the league is filled with coaches who are dumber than NE's coaches and players who are just one step above a box of rocks on the dumb scale.  With regard to the Pats, I always go back to Michael Floyd (an idiot as a player): the Pats picked him up late in 2016 because he was super-talented, and then in his first or second game he ran a lazy route where he went to far and rounded it rather than running a crisp, short square in. The ball was picked, Brady was clearly pissed, and I don't think he ever saw another reception opportunity again after that play. 

Frankly, I think you overestimate high-physical talent guys vis-a-vis guys like Hogan. Ideally, you want guys who are physically talented AND smart-on-the-field players. There's a reason guys like Tyler Lockett excel despite not being nearly the physical speciman that Floyd was. Brains, discipline, and consistency matter so much in a game where mistake-proneness is the surest way to lose games. (Don't get me wrong; Lockett is definitely talented enough, but he is small.)

There is certainly something to be said for Hogan’s intelligence and toughness. That’s why he fits in New England. That doesn’t change the fact that he doesn’t get separation and has been the same guy his whole career. He is an okay, back of the depth chart option. He plays more in New England because their receivers stink (outside of Edelman). That’s why they rolled the dice on Gordon. 

Maybe I do overrate physical ability but that’s how you end up with guys like Foster. He was a 5-star that was a part-time player at Alabama. He was part-time because of the other talent. He still has that raw physical ability. He easily could have been nothing but he also could easily, consistently, be 1,000 yard receiver. I’d keep cycling through guys until I found guys with that potential. 

In in terms of Lockett he was an All-American at K-State. His dad played in the league (at a high level).  He’s a technician, with a pedigree and production. He was a relatively safe pick for all of those reasons. 

Again, I know I’m on a bit of an island here but it’s what I believe. I’d have never signed a guy like Vlad Ducasse because I knew who he was. I would keep throwing rocks at the Wyatt Teller’s of the world in hopes of finding a player. If not you can always get a Vlad off the street. 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:23 PM, dave mcbride said:

I rewatched the game. He was blanketed three times (the INT play and 2 deep throws where Peters covered him), one pass was tipped and behind him (bad decision to throw into what looked like triple coverage), one was a one hopper across the middle where he was open (bad throw), and one was a drop on a not particularly well thrown ball that would have resulted in precisely zero yards if caught. Brady yelled at himself on the one hopper, not Hogan. To be fair, Brady was pressured on that throw and didn’t really step into it.

The narrative that he had some sort of bad game because he screwed up is flawed. He’s a great blocker and played almost every snap. That said, I suspect he’s gone.

Don't bring facts into the discussion.   Many of the posters here think the German's are still bombing Pearl Harbor...

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s a product of opportunity (and intelligence).

The same could be said for 50% of the Pats roster over the last decade.    IMO, Hogan does exactly what Belichick wants--work hard, prepare hard, be smart and step up when called upon (i.e., the Kansas City game).   

He may be JAG, but he's a Belichik guy through and through.   And that usually gets you a ring (or two)...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

The same could be said for 50% of the Pats roster over the last decade.    IMO, Hogan does exactly what Belichick wants--work hard, prepare hard, be smart and step up when called upon (i.e., the Kansas City game).   

He may be JAG, but he's a Belichik guy through and through.   And that usually gets you a ring (or two)...

100% agree

Thats my point. My buddy was the same way and has a ring and a Super Bowl loss. He stuck 6 or 7 years there for that reason. He ended up in Jacksonville and Cleveland after and didn’t stick. Those teams were terrible but wanted cheaper, young guys than a 31 year-Old JAG. The Bills have played in one playoff game in forever. They don’t need JAGs imo. They need to roll the dice and try to hit some home runs. They may have done that with Wallace and Foster. They took talented guys and gave them the chance.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1