The future of the AFC is KC, Cleveland... and Buffalo!

Cleveland hasn't even had a winning season yet. Let's pump the brakes before we anoint them a dynasty.

They'll find a way to muck it up. They're the Browns.

And the Bills are in the same boat. There is reason for moderate optimism for both teams, but no reason to mention super bowl in the same sentence with either.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Cleveland hasn't even had a winning season yet. Let's pump the brakes before we anoint them a dynasty.

They'll find a way to muck it up. They're the Browns.

And the Bills are in the same boat. There is reason for moderate optimism for both teams, but no reason to mention super bowl in the same sentence with either.

NE was a joke when I was a kid. Automatic 2 wins. The idea that they would become a dynasty would have been equally laughable.

Why not dream? It's morning in the AFC

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

NE was a joke when I was a kid. Automatic 2 wins. The idea that they would become a dynasty would have been equally laughable.

Why not dream? It's morning in the AFC

Dream all you want. I'm not saying you can't hope for these things. I just see little evidence so far.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Dream all you want. I'm not saying you can't hope for these things. I just see little evidence so far.

I think KC becomes the dynasty. Bills become the spoiler once or twice to break up their run like the Ravens vs NE

KC has the HC QB combo that nobody but NE has in the AFC

22 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think KC becomes the dynasty. Bills become the spoiler once or twice to break up their run like the Ravens vs NE

I think you are assuming a lot ....you make it sound like KC will have run of 3-5 AFC Championship and 3 SBs ?.......NE has completely ***** up fans expectations......a team winning 3 out of 4 is rare .....you also need some luck.....

Edited by Iron Maiden

1 hour ago, Iron Maiden said:

I think you are assuming a lot ....you make it sound like KC will have run of 3-5 AFC Championship and 3 SBs ?.......NE has completely ***** up fans expectations......a team winning 3 out of 4 is rare .....you also need some luck.....

Agreed but who else stands ready to challenge?

AFC has been top heavy for a while. Last year NE beat Jax and Ten in the playoffs, neither team made the tournament this year.Peyton Manning prevented 3 more NE super bowls. For all the grief he took he was 3-1 vs Brady and Belichick in the biggest game they could play. Sadly he is retired now so they have breezed right through. Same could be true if KC takes over 

Here's an oddity: Cleveland and Denver played in the AFC championship game 3 out of 4 years in the late 80s. Obviously Denver won all 3

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Unless Cleveland can trade their owner, I doubt they become a serious and consistent contender for anything more than cheap but amusing jokes. Would you take  every Brown draft choice for the next two years to swap owners? I wouldn’t. 

I get that they have some impetus under Dorsey, but they voted 4-1 for McD as HC, and Haslam insisted on Hue Jackson? That cripples a team’s chances. Why even vote. (Not that I was there, but it sounds about right.) 

Augie - you always bring up a good point on Haslam.  Unless he does a 180 and let the football people make the decisions, and give coaching and Mgmt at least three years to improve.  He hasn’t shown to do that, but maybe he’s learned his lesson and they do have a lot of talent.

i’m very Pleased with the OP, who is positive about this team.  I only disagree it will be probably at least 2 years before the Pats start going down.  Brady probably by 43 should feel it enough plus pressure from his wife to retire.  By then Belicheck will be 68 and at some point will want to get to his next step in life.  Unless they find another Garropolo which is not easy, they will go down.

i agree about the future tough teams in the playoffs.  It is tough to predict, but I believe the Pegulas learned their lesson with Rex, and have made very good decisions since that time.

Thanks again for the optimistic attitude.  I hope you’re right.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

As a die hard Bill's fan, I can say that only Bill's fans feel this way.  When I mention something of this nature to people where I live, it is followed by a big laugh.  We have a lot to prove before anyone believes the Bill's will be a top competitor, and until we can win a normal regular season game against the Pat's instead if curling up in the corner and taking the beating it will not change.  It sounds great to us Bill's fans, but the reality is NE owns us more than any other team in history, and to think that will change next year (year after year) is the definition of insanity...repeating the same thing over and over with the same results.  Show me the baby and I will believe!

My poker games include fans of the best teams of the last 20 years.

i don’t pipe in with some sugar plum wish thst the Bills will be kicking ass until it actually happens again.

Our defense folded like a cheap table whenever it was challenged and Josh is just as likely to take a step back as he is to take a step forward. This Pats team proved that it’s all Belichick, Brady is a shell of himself and has made very little plays all season. Belichick is coaching in 3019 while we are here in 2019. We prided ourselved on a great run D and the Pats ran for a team record 275 yards against us, because they could

16 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Yup. The Dynasty might be "Not Done!" but this was it for them. Hubris will bring Brady back next year (and hopefully more) which will serve was a nice catharsis for us as the Bills regularly beat them with Brady still on the field. Doesn't erase his titles, but it eases the pain a bit AND creates a few "passing of the torch moments" in the AFC overall and the AFC East. A nice ugly situation where the Patriots practically force Brady to retire OR end up benching him midseason to "protect him" would be fantastic but might be asking too much. Either way, he is nowhere near the same QB. They won this year by running the ball and Dee Ford lining up 6 inches Offside.  

So who takes over in the AFC going forward?

You need a great coach + a great QB. In my view, the AFC has ONE of these combos outside of Brady and Belichick. Reid and Mahomes.

One pair is #ALMOSTDONE! and the other is #JUSTGETTINGSTARTED!

My predictions: KC becomes the big dog, Cleveland and Indy become the perennial winners who can't close the deal most years but get a SB trip or two, and the Bills become that mean, nasty, tough team that you do NOT want to see in the playoffs and win 1-2 Super Bowls in between Mahomes and KC winning!

Here are my future outlooks for all AFC teams:

AFC East

NE: #DONE! or at least # ALMOSTDONE!

NJ: a possible threat but Gase is a nut who has authority issues

MIA: nowhere

BUF: the new 2000's Ravens... tough, good defense, nobody wants to see them in the playoffs but not flashy

AFC North

CIN: LOL... I predict misery... they will be the 2000's Bills

PIT: Still good, and might get another SB berth but falling apart due to locker room/off field issues. Plus, Ben is getting old.

BAL: Not sold on Jackson and fully expect them to be 6-10 or worse this year before imploding

CLE: I know it's Cleveland but NE was NE before they became NE (if that makes sense). Loaded roster, great young QB, good coaching, good GM. Wild card is an awful owner.

AFC South

Indy: Luck is decent and I love Reich. They are going to win games every year. But when it's cold Luck looks miserable. Division round fodder for KC, CLE and BUF!

Hou: the ultimate "meh" team with fading stars on defense. I like Watson, but I feel like the roster's window is closing. Could be a current Seattle like team that goes 10-6 and goes nowhere.

Jax: LOL.. implosion incoming

Ten: another "meh" team. Mariotta is mediocre, which is just good enough to get people fired for not replacing him.

AFC West

KC: On track to make people sick of them in 10 years. Reid could easily coach another decade if he stays healthy, and Mahomes is great. QB/HC combo of the AFC

LA: Rivers is on his last legs and always chokes in the playoffs anyway. They'll be another divisional round fodder team for a couple more seasons before the wheels fall off.

Oak/LV: A mess, but they have a ton of picks. No idea.

Den: Just another team... nothing jumps out about them as great, and the defensive players are not getting any younger.

When you look at the landscape of the AFC it is stark overall, which is part of how NE goes to the bowl every year, especially now that Manning is gone. But the torch will be passed, then what?

Luck

Mahomes

Watson

Allen

Darnold

Big Ben

Rivers

Mayfield

Those are your AFC QBs of note, with Big Ben and Rivers being on their way out as well. KC missed ring #1 this year, but they aren't going anywhere. One of these (Mahomes/Reid) is head and shoulders above all of the others.

Kansas City missed ring #2

They won super bowl IV

vs Minnesota 

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

I was just wondering how the Bills are going to make up 5 or 6 games to take the division. Thats a tall order

easypeasy

cakewalk city

seashells and balloons

we just think it and it happens

(I know, can you ***** believe some people on here)

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

easypeasy

cakewalk city

seashells and balloons

we just think it and it happens

(I know, can you ***** believe some people on here)

I love this board. Its like taking a stroll through a real life Candy Land. All gum drops and lollipops.

12 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

KC has a chump for a HC though, a dynasty with Andy Reid is not happening.

Dan Marino also set records in his 2nd year. He ended up being a HOF’er who never got the job done in the post-season. Time will tell if Mahomes is even as good as he was.

Nice post... and it's fun to dream.

But this happens every offseason. "The Pats are finally done!" "They're in decline!" "Brady can't hold up next year!" And then they do it again.

Until Brady/Belichick retire, it's going to be a tall order. I'm not saying it's impossible (all us Bills fans are dreamers), and I like KC and Indy... possibly Cleveland. I'll reserve judgement on our favorite team until after free agency and the draft.

But, the Patriots aren't going away. 

5 hours ago, Chris66 said:

I was just wondering how the Bills are going to make up 5 or 6 games to take the division. Thats a tall order

You haven't been paying attention then.

The rookie will play much better,  I trust the FO will focus on the Offense and bring in better talent than what they had in 18. 

Mock me now (eat crow later,) 

3 games right here  -> 

Buffalo will get a win out of NE in 2019. 

Sweep the JETS and Miami.

2 games right here  ->

Peterman is GONE and won't cost the Bills 2 games. 

Home: NYJ, NE, MIA, BAL, PHI, WSH, DEN, CIN

Away: NYJ, NE, MIA, DAL, NYG, PIT, TEN, CLE

It's not Rocket Science 

feel free to save this post.   I'll own up to it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1