Rex Ryan and Charles Clay

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) Rex is an idiot

2) Clay had some solid seasons here.  Injuries definitely were an issue though.

Clay was occasionally OK for the Bills, but it is the case that his knee hampered him almost from day one. Rex is an idiot. 

Incidentally, did you see Gilmore's postgame comments? He has only played for one other team, and spent his last two years for that team playing for Rex.

'[Gilmore] He also attributed the team’s sustained success to a dedication to hard work. “I feel like there are no shortcuts,” Gilmore said. “It’s a grind every day. Nobody knows how hard we work. We work hard every day and we compete every day. Blood, sweat, and tears. No matter what, we come out and compete. If you’re limping, you’re competing. I feel like nobody does that in other organizations. It’s a grind every day, but it’s worth it. You have an opportunity to go to the playoffs and an opportunity to go to the Super Bowl.”'

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Clay was occasionally OK for the Bills, but it is the case that his knee hampered him almost from day one. Rex is an idiot. 

Incidentally, did you see Gilmore's postgame comments? He has only played for one other team, and spent his last two years for that team playing for Rex.

'[Gilmore] He also attributed the team’s sustained success to a dedication to hard work. “I feel like there are no shortcuts,” Gilmore said. “It’s a grind every day. Nobody knows how hard we work. We work hard every day and we compete every day. Blood, sweat, and tears. No matter what, we come out and compete. If you’re limping, you’re competing. I feel like nobody does that in other organizations. It’s a grind every day, but it’s worth it. You have an opportunity to go to the playoffs and an opportunity to go to the Super Bowl.”'

Couldn't agree more - I mean, the difference b/t rexy and mcd is night and day, but clearly played into Gilmore's perspective here.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1) Rex is an idiot

2) Clay had some solid seasons here.  Injuries definitely were an issue though.

He would have had better ones with a real QB.  Part of me wants to see him go and the other part wants him to stay and stop dropping the football.  If he leaves he will go to NE and put up ProBowl numbers if he stays he may drop 20 completions on the turf.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Clay was a top 100 player when he got here.......and the thing about him is he is also a pretty good blocker....a complete TE

The problem is he is not and has not been healthy for YEARS

Its been so long since the ball has been thrown to him he gets shocked to have it come and drops it.

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Clay was either #1 or #2 in receiving yards on the team for his first few years here.

He was third in 2015 behind Woods and Watkins which was his first year

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Gee, this 2015 reaction by Rex holds up really well, doesn't it? http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/20840/rex-ryan-takes-jab-at-mike-tannenbaum-over-charles-clay

Note his comments about Martavis Bryant too!

Clay was simply the closest fitting missing cog in the Greg Roman offense.

Over 150 catches in his first 3 years in Buffalo and great run blocking. Not canton bound, not horrible either.   

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

And? That isn’t relevant to the post I was referring to..

anything accomplished by a TE in Buffalo is to be considered a miracle, for a long time now.   :D

Don't be so touchy.....

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Tyrod gets too much crap now looking back, but was any receiver going to put up great numbers with him?  If Clay went to NE with Brady (and no Gronk), he would have been pretty good.

32 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Clay was simply the closest fitting missing cog in the Greg Roman offense.

Over 150 catches in his first 3 years in Buffalo and great run blocking. Not canton bound, not horrible either.   

Good post.  A big reason Clay was signed was because of his versatility.

43 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He was third in 2015 behind Woods and Watkins which was his first year

Okay, fair enough.  He was 3rd by like 20 yards.  My point is that, on a team with an inept QB and an inept coaching staff (his first two years), what more did we expect Clay to do?

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Okay, fair enough.  He was 3rd by like 20 yards.  My point is that, on a team with an inept QB and an inept coaching staff (his first two years), what more did we expect Clay to do?

I think he has been a terrible signing in terms of value for money, his availability to both practice and play at his best given his injuries, and the way that his contract was structured meaning that even if they do finally move on from his this year it is still going to cost them..

None of that is his fault of course, but If he had the first, second or third most amount of balls or yards on this ordinary team then I don’t really see that as much of accomplishment..

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think Tyrod gets too much crap now looking back, but was any receiver going to put up great numbers with him?  If Clay went to NE with Brady (and no Gronk), he would have been pretty good.

Good post.  A big reason Clay was signed was because of his versatility.

Tyrod might get too much crap here idk. Or perhaps his play dictated that. If you take away the extremes on both sides, his best games, his worst, what you get is still pretty lousy as a whole. Tyrod had as it turns out, pretty decent WR's here at times. You mean receivers like Robert Woods & Sammy Watkins or Marquise Goodwin? When they had a different QB throwing to them they began putting up better numbers. Something akin to if Clay went to NE, of course his knee would have to hold up & he'd have to catch the ball. But perhaps it was something else holding Tyrod back here, so how did he do in Cleveland with all that talent on their offense? He played 3 games, completed 41 of his 84 attempts (48.8 percent) for 462 yards and two touchdowns against two interceptions & was sacked 13 times for 81 lost yards in the first three games. Averaging that out, 462/3, he threw for 154 yards a game, with .7 td's. Numbers all of us here can relate to since that pretty much sums up what we remember.

Case in point look at what happened when Baker Mayfield took over the team, it was like night & day. So maybe, just maybe Tyrod gets too much crap, or maybe he is just what he is. A below average passer with above average running ability. Tyrod's a great guy from all accounts & he's a guy you'd like to see succeed. But all one can go by is what a player makes of his opportunities. Who knows if he'll ever get another one again. But like Taylor its past the time for Clay to go.

Sorry for the long post, i just didnt expect to see a Tyrod post today haha. I had hoped we moved on from him because its a torturous subject, speaking of it is like self mutilation, it hurts

• Like (+1) 1

Always great to talk about hindsight from a fool, and liar himself.  Who cares what he reported on ESPN.  He always states self serving remarks to make himself look better as both HC ended up in flames.

I agree though that Clay hasn’t worked out and we paid for it like so many others under Whaley.