Warren Sharp breaks down why the Rams lost the Super Bowl

HappyDays

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

If employed properly, a good gameplan trumps everything.  Even talent.

The problem is, most coaches in the NFL are average.  No creativity.  No innovation.  No forward thinking.

They usually branch off from a coaching tree (like Andy Reid or Bill Parcells) that started running a particular scheme and style decades ago, and has been passed down for years and years.  If they have right players and pieces, it works.  If they don't, they fail, get fired and become another retread bouncing from team to team.

Sean McVay is a small notch ahead of the pack, because he actually built a successful offensive scheme (as opposed to just copying someone else).  But on Sunday, he proved that his ability to prepare for an opponent and make adjustments is just as poor as everyone else.  Belichick figured out how to stop his bread-and-butter, and McVay looked like a deer in the headlights for 4 quarters.

I would say that Belichick just gave the NFL a blueprint for stopping the Rams offense next year.  But honestly, how many coaches are going to study what New England did and use it?  My guess is that most of the Rams opponents next year will just try playing the scheme they play every week.

I wouldn't agree.  A lot of teams run 1 Cross.  It's just many of them don't run it well.  The Chiefs actually tried to run this against the Pats and failed.  1 Cross is a common NFL/College Coverage scheme and that's what the Patriots utilized to muddy up the middle of the field.  The Rams just didn't do their homework to help themselves in this game on the perimeter.  There were several areas they could have attacked, but they kept trying to hit the middle.

Edited by NewEraBills

So McVay employed the Marv Levy approach to a SB game plan and lost to Belichick, go figure.

36 minutes ago, P51 said:

Really sounds like McVay needs to read the Art of War, or at least chapters I, III, VI, VIII, XI and XIII for good measure...

All battles are won before they are fought... The Super Bowl it appears to have been lost before and during the fight. 

Or maybe reviewed the tape to SB XXV

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

The rest of the league's teams are managed by men who are predictable, pathologically fear change and don't trust their players whatsoever to grasp what the Patriots do. The NFL is filed with PROCESS guys.  

PROCESS is predictable.

How do you beat the Patriots?  Have one member of your film unit obsess and study them full time, especially if you're in the AFC.

You throw out every single play you ever ran this year and create brand new plays they've never seen before for their games.  

At the half time of the game against the Patriots, you throw out the first half plans, and have new ones just for the second half.  

The key to beating the Patriots is not letting them get tape on you and that requires a level of adaption these NFL coaches just can't handle.  

That's why the Patriots own the NFL.  New England preys on the predictability of everyone else.   

Absolutely correct.

However, the problem is executing new game plans in one half and then new ones in the second half are not easy for just one game (two if it's us). Belichick is a master at game planning. I hate that we have had to deal with him since essentially 1991 (SBXXV).

This is why Brady and Belichick coming back is so important

It matters to the future of the league that someone beats this dynasty on the way to their own super bowl next year.

Otherwise it would just feel like the B teams playing and they only won because Brady and Bill called it quits.

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

The rest of the league's teams are managed by men who are predictable, pathologically fear change and don't trust their players whatsoever to grasp what the Patriots do. The NFL is filed with PROCESS guys.  

PROCESS is predictable.

How do you beat the Patriots?  Have one member of your film unit obsess and study them full time, especially if you're in the AFC.

You throw out every single play you ever ran this year and create brand new plays they've never seen before for their games.  

At the half time of the game against the Patriots, you throw out the first half plans, and have new ones just for the second half.  

The key to beating the Patriots is not letting them get tape on you and that requires a level of adaption these NFL coaches just can't handle.  

That's why the Patriots own the NFL.  New England preys on the predictability of everyone else.   

That's how the Eagles beat them

Funny how Doug Pederson put up 41 against NE with his backup QB (and won!) while McVay scored 3 with his starter in a humiliating loss

One is the second coming... A true genius!

The other gets no fanfare

Edited by TheFunPolice

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

it's okay for a coach to have his "system" and build around it from ground zero, McD is fine because we don't have expectations of greatness. The last great coach for the Bills was Knox and none are probably coming in the next 40 years.

Rex came in with a decent team and destroyed it by week 2 after boasting about world domination.

The key to being a successful coach is

#1 creating a scheme to match your talent

#2 creating a scheme to take away your opponent's strengths

neither are rocket science, but 99% of coaches are either too dumb or try to be too smart.

Marv Levy's greatest contribution when he coached the Bills was to recognize the offensive talent we had and let them go with the K-Gun as opposed to his ground and pound background.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Maybe some of the luster was worn off of McVay.  He’s young and will hopefully learn from this game.

All the talk about being the youngest HC in the NFL, his photographic memory, innovative concepts, et al...you can throw it out the window.

I think McVay went with 11 personnel because he knew NE was stronger against that set and figured he could out-do Belichick.  It makes little sense, but then again HC's get stupid sometimes going up against Belichick. 

Edited by BillsVet

4 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

This is what scares me about McDermott and his conservative, predictable style. In some ways the "close" game in Buffalo against them this year worries me more than the one in NE where we just got obliterated in the trenches. While the score was close for a lot of that game...it was never in doubt. The Pats were in control all the way. If we ever do take the next step, I have my doubts that this coaching staff will be able to come up with innovative and adaptive schemes to compete with the big boys. We're almost going to have to have overwhelming talent that can withstand that to go far. 

I don't think Daboll is like that, and he really showed growth over the course of the season in his playcalling. Give him some good players, and I expect good things will happen. He's a longtime Belichick guy after all, and he's analytical.

Edited by dave mcbride

To add to this, I don't think your head coach should call plays. It is distracting and it sometimes keeps you from seeing the most obvious things. I think a head coach has to watch the game, which allows him to keep things in perspective and he can see the things that are obvious to people watching on TV. When you are calling plays, I think you lose persepective and get tunnel vision. 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Here's my breakdown for why the Rams lost:

Because Bill Belichick and Tom Brady were on the opposing team.

This made me think (it can happen, you never know!) that I would pay to see Brady play AGAINST a Belichick defense. That would be fun.

And if it’s not fun enough, only then would we add a mountain lion to the mix. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ticketssince61 said:

The key to being a successful coach is

#1 creating a scheme to match your talent

#2 creating a scheme to take away your opponent's strengths

neither are rocket science, but 99% of coaches are either too dumb or try to be too smart.

Marv Levy's greatest contribution when he coached the Bills was to recognize the offensive talent we had and let them go with the K-Gun as opposed to his ground and pound background.

Marv inherited a dream roster, he was used to it from coaching the Alouettes in Canada

Not sure he really did much, seemed his team won when they played better and lost when they didn’t 

the type who never won a game he shouldn’t have, and lost many he should have won if he bothered with a few good adjustments

4 hours ago, dpberr said:

PROCESS is predictable.

Son of a biotch. I was told to "Trust the Process" I'm sick of being duped by the Bills. 

5 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I feel it was both Goff and McVay.  They were both terrible 

Mostly yes, but Goff dropped a dime to Cooks in the endzone beating double coverage that he simply dropped...then the next pass was intercepted on what looked like the very same play...

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Mostly yes, but Goff dropped a dime to Cooks in the endzone beating double coverage that he simply dropped...then the next pass was intercepted on what looked like the very same play...

...kid did have some late season hiccups.....not sure if it was confidence, nerves or whatever.......Wade did his job defensively....Goff and McVay just got beat by The Master period......think maybe your FIRST TRIP to the Big Dance may be a bit intimidating before all of this suckitude crap?....naw, not a chance......

Belichick also has a pretty good record against QB's that don't see his team often or are rookies.

The other day I saw some article going on an on about the genius of Belichick playing man against KC with Hill in the slot when everyone in the AFC East knows he always prefers man to zone coverage. It has always been a Belichick philosophy that you create smaller windows and more pressure for opposing QB's using man coverage and it allows him more flexibility dialing up blitzes.

Teams have to do a bit more to fix what isn't working during games with NE.

Wade did a nice job of bottling up their "O", but did not get a whole lot of help.

Edited by WideNine

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...kid did have some late season hiccups.....not sure if it was confidence, nerves or whatever.......Wade did his job defensively....Goff and McVay just got beat by The Master period......think maybe your FIRST TRIP to the Big Dance may be a bit intimidating before all of this suckitude crap?....naw, not a chance......

It wil be interesting to see if that is who Goff is moving forward...a guy who plays his smallest when games are largest...

• Like (+1) 1