Jogger kills Mountain Lion Fort Collins CO - UPDATE It was a 3 month old cub

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I was under the impression that a mountain lion could destroy an 80 pound pit bull with ease. Is this true?

I once saw one upstate laying down in a field off the side of the road. I stopped my car to check it out and it turned around and glared at me. My ass was out of there in a flash.

forrest_gump_running_alabama_jenny.jpg

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

All these posts in an no cougar jokes.

Kids got it easy nowadays... We never had cougars at our bus stops!

not politically correct

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Add another to the pile of weird mountain lion stories this week: 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/idaho-woman-accidentally-grabs-mountain-lion-during-attempt-to-break-up-dog-fight?fbclid=IwAR0QfEeg_HPGrh2pZ2-9McpUYRmGc_ntJcb1zjrXUOQ9JsYRSlJ0XOMwUOM

An Idaho woman was shocked to discover she was holding onto a male mountain lion when she yanked the creature off her dog last week.

The woman, who has not been identified, believed she was breaking up a "dog fight" between her pup and another pet outside her Mackay home when she suddenly realized she was actually grabbing a wild animal.

After realizing what she had in her hand, the shocked woman — who suffered scratches during the attack — called her husband for backup.

Edited by whatdrought

On 2/5/2019 at 4:09 PM, Uncle Joe said:

Dad told me a story recently over the holidays. His grandfather was working at a birch barking factory in Connecticut probably 1900 or so. Reliable young kid didn't show up at work one day. They found him dead taken down by a pack of wolves. Kid took out about 6 wolves with his ax before he died.

I am skeptical... Not buying the pack of wolves story.  No disrespect.

Not saying it ain't true... But early FakeNews!©???

Wolf attacks in N.America have been highly embellished. Verses other animals, wolves/canids are a different story.  More myth than reality.

Here is a very interesting read if you want to dive into it!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301267098_Predators_That_Kill_Humans_Myth_Reality_Context_and_the_Politics_of_Wolf_Attacks_on_People

"Historical Wolf Attacks (Pre-1950)

History is repeatedly used by competing factions to legitimize various positions in

politics, and wolf conservation is no exception. The relationship between wolves and humans has a rich cultural history with written source stretching back over 2000years (Lopez 1978 ; Carbone 1991 ; Marvin 2012 ). Accounts of wolf attacks on

humans are widespread throughout history. However, a considerable challenge

occurs when trying to assess the accuracy of various sources. There is a whole genre

of folktales that portray cases of wolves chasing horse-drawn sleights in winter, or

attacking soldiers and postal workers as they travel alone through the woods

(Carbone 1991 ; Snerte 2000 ). Although widespread in local oral traditions, these

tales turned up repeatedly across Europe from the nineteenth century and onwards

following the rapid expansion in printed materials (precursors to today’s tabloids) in

that period which used images and text to generate emotional responses in readers

(Sangiovanni 2012 ). Despite the stories often being portrayed as having occurred

locally (in each of many localities), there is no indication that they are based on

factual events. In recent years, European historians have studied the administrative

archives to gather more robust information about the historical relationships between

people and wolves..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

42 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am skeptical... Not buying the pack of wolves story.  No disrespect.

Not saying it ain't true... But early FakeNews!©???

Wolf attacks in N.America have been highly embellished. Verses other animals, wolves/canids are a different story.  More myth than reality.

<snip>

No offense taken, Since my Dad is getting up there in age I am trying to get some family history from him while he's still around. Usually I hear these after a few drinks anyways. My Grandfather was born in Caribou Maine and was an avid hunter and outdoors man. I have a picture of me at 4 years old standing next to a black bear that had been shot at the hunting cabin in Maine (pic so it did happen!).
Wolves have been reintroduced here in Oregon and they are predators -
Recent story:
https://www.oregonlive.com/environment/2018/12/or-7s-wolf-pack-kills-a-7th-cow-in-southern-oregon.html

So if cougars can prey on humans when they are desperate for food I imagine wolves could do the same,

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, TigerJ said:

I have to assume the jogger had a knife.  It also happened to be a juvenile - not quite full grown.  As a result, it would have been a little smaller, and perhaps not quite as lethal, though still formidable.  As the article suggests, it is not unheard of for persons to fight off an attacking mountain lion, though mountain lions aren't normally killed by the human when that happens.  Personally, I would not only make sure I'm armed, I probably wouldn't go alone either.

Apparently not the article says the mountain lion was suffocated.

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Apparently not the article says the mountain lion was suffocated.

He choked him out. That info has been out there since the beginning practically, but people just run on in their minds completely unconcerned with facts. Sign of the times I guess. 

Edited by Turk71

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

He choked him out. That info has been out there since the beginning practically, but people just run on in their minds completely unconcerned with facts. Sign of the times I guess. 

It’s a story worth two seconds of thought

if you spent half an hour on it, good for you

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

A story you've commented on 4 times and I once. You're kind of an ####### aren't you?

no, you stated you've READ INTO the story enough to critique others and be righteous

there's a dead bear out here you can come over and ***** at your convenience...

• 3 weeks later...

Not Fake News (not reported on F*X)
Mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner was a kitten, necropsy report says

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mountain-lion-killed-colorado-trail-203621816.html

The necropsy performed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife veterinarians in Fort Collins identified the lion as a "kitten'' with a weight of 24 pounds. However, the animal was heavily scavenged and officials estimated the animal's live weight was 35 to 40 pounds

52 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not Fake News (not reported on F*X)
Mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner was a kitten, necropsy report says

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mountain-lion-killed-colorado-trail-203621816.html

The necropsy performed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife veterinarians in Fort Collins identified the lion as a "kitten'' with a weight of 24 pounds. However, the animal was heavily scavenged and officials estimated the animal's live weight was 35 to 40 pounds

I should have updated this thread yesterday when that broke  -  (I did Shout it out)

He killed a Cub