Jogger kills Mountain Lion Fort Collins CO - UPDATE It was a 3 month old cub

5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

The only way this guy killed one without weapons is if this mountain lion was sick, emaciated or standing on just three legs or severely cross-eyed.  

It's not a fair fight otherwise.  Not that you want a fight to ever be fair (always to your advantage) but if this is your average, healthy, hungry mountain lion I doubt it goes Mr. Jogger's way.  Those animals are sneakily strong in getting prey in exposed positions.  It's not like the guy was boxing with the mountain lion or unleashing Krav Maga.  He was probably just your average guy punching and gouging whatever he could find furiously and exhausting himself in the process and that's when they get you.  

That's where any carried weapon gets those odds a little more 50/50.  It's like going down a dark alley at 2am.  The situational awareness buzzer should be going off to be a little prepared.  

Mountain lions aren't a problem in the east.  I suppose if one happened to meander into Pennsylvania for the first time in 150 years, there'd be hunters who'd deliberately jog for the first time in their adult lives just for a chance to bag it. 

It says the lion was a juvenile in the article. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

All these posts in an no cougar jokes.

Kids got it easy nowadays... We never had cougars at our bus stops!

a man stands a chance against a mountain lion

apparently

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

it was young and ONLY 80 pounds   Like wrestling with your Lab 

fair enough, i don't think they'd invent it out of full cloth, i was picturing a 150 pound survivor

wait, the lion or the Cougar?

or the Puma?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

fair enough, i don't think they'd invent it out of full cloth, i was picturing a 150 pound survivor

wait, the lion or the Cougar?

or the Puma?

the "cat" that attacked the jogger was 80 pounds.

he used to be 180 but he crapped out 30 pounds 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

80 lbs is light for how much they can get but it's much, much stronger than a lab.  They are also more athletic.

It's really impressive what this guy did IMO.

just using the lab as an example of the weight.  

Don't you have Emma Stone pictures to drool over?  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

The only way this guy killed one without weapons is if this mountain lion was sick, emaciated or standing on just three legs or severely cross-eyed.  

It's not a fair fight otherwise.  Not that you want a fight to ever be fair (always to your advantage) but if this is your average, healthy, hungry mountain lion I doubt it goes Mr. Jogger's way.  Those animals are sneakily strong in getting prey in exposed positions.  It's not like the guy was boxing with the mountain lion or unleashing Krav Maga.  He was probably just your average guy punching and gouging whatever he could find furiously and exhausting himself in the process and that's when they get you.  

That's where any carried weapon gets those odds a little more 50/50.  It's like going down a dark alley at 2am.  The situational awareness buzzer should be going off to be a little prepared.  

Mountain lions aren't a problem in the east.  I suppose if one happened to meander into Pennsylvania for the first time in 150 years, there'd be hunters who'd deliberately jog for the first time in their adult lives just for a chance to bag it. 

I believe you but the animal I saw looked just like the one in the OP except it was shabbier. I'm from Queens and was curious, until it turned it's head around slowly and stared me down lol.

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I believe you but the animal I saw looked just like the one in the OP except it was shabbier. I'm from Queens and was curious, until it turned it's head around slowly and stared me down lol.

https://www.fws.gov/northeast/ecougar/index.html

Eastern cougar

Ghost cat. Catamount. Puma. Painter. Panther. Mountain lion. Cougar. The many names given the nation's largest cat convey the mystery surrounding this solitary hunter. But the variety of names also demonstrates the cougar's original distribution across the North American continent and from southern Canada to the tip of South America.

Once the most widely distributed land mammal in the Western Hemisphere, cougars have been eliminated from about two-thirds of their original range. Only western cougars and Florida panthers still live in large enough numbers to maintain breeding populations. Historic accounts and observations of western cougars and Florida panthers provide biologists with information for the cats that once lived east of the Mississippi.

Although generally presumed extinct in the wild, the eastern cougar subspecies remained protected by the Endangered Species Act. Eastern cougars historically ranged from Michigan, southern Ontario, eastern Canada and Maine south to South Carolina and west across Tennessee. At one time, they lived in every Eastern state in a variety of habitats including coastal marshes, mountains and forests.

https://sciencing.com/types-cats-live-new-york-8231986.html

New York State is home to the bobcat

the eastern cougar has been extirpated in New York and is believed to be extinct in the wild for at least 70 years.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

18 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the "cat" that attached the jogger was 80 pounds.

he used to be 180 but he crapped out 30 pounds 

just using the lab as an example of the weight.  

Don't you have Emma Stone pictures to drool over?  

You mean does Emma have pics of me she's drooling over?  My guess, more than likely but not guaranteed.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

I've never understood the logic of running or biking in mountain lion country without being armed with a knife, small handgun, etc. that gives you a fighting chance if you find yourself squaring off with a hungry mountain lion on his home turf. 

Do the runners and bikers think they will outrun a mountain lion?  Do they think they are stronger than the mountain lion?    

There's no way Mr. Jogger Man killed a mountain lion with his bare hands.  Not a chance.  

I have to assume the jogger had a knife.  It also happened to be a juvenile - not quite full grown.  As a result, it would have been a little smaller, and perhaps not quite as lethal, though still formidable.  As the article suggests, it is not unheard of for persons to fight off an attacking mountain lion, though mountain lions aren't normally killed by the human when that happens.  Personally, I would not only make sure I'm armed, I probably wouldn't go alone either.

Bear spray is the way to go. A buddy of mine owns a gun shop and 75% of his bear spray sales are to bouncers at bars in Tampa... bring a whole room to its knees in 10 seconds, that ***** is heavy duty.

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

Bear spray is the way to go. A buddy of mine owns a gun shop and 75% of his bear spray sales are to bouncers at bars in Tampa... bring a whole room to its knees in 10 seconds, that ***** is heavy duty.

One summer job in far northern Ontario the bears were everywhere, we just stayed away and they left the area and we tried to avoid getting near cubs

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

One summer job in far northern Ontario the bears were everywhere, we just stayed away and they left the area and we tried to avoid getting near cubs

Dad told me a story recently over the holidays. His grandfather was working at a birch barking factory in Connecticut probably 1900 or so. Reliable young kid didn't show up at work one day. They found him dead taken down by a pack of wolves. Kid took out about 6 wolves with his ax before he died.

BTW, I have seen cougars in the woods with a gun. It is a very eerie sight.

Also  have seen pictures of 200 pound cougars that were killed by people I know.

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

cougar-2-gty-thg-180725_hpMain_16x9_992.

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-container/US/trail-runner-kills-attacking-mountain-lion-defense-authorities/story?id=60847507

The runner was able to break free from the cougar's powerful maw and defend himself, killing the wild cat as a result. The man was then able to get himself to a local hospital, where he was treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries.

Rocky Mountain High ......  who's buying this story? 

could have broke its neck, crazy things when you're fighting for your life.

13 hours ago, dpberr said:

I've never understood the logic of running or biking in mountain lion country without being armed with a knife, small handgun, etc. that gives you a fighting chance if you find yourself squaring off with a hungry mountain lion on his home turf. 

Do the runners and bikers think they will outrun a mountain lion?  Do they think they are stronger than the mountain lion?    

There's no way Mr. Jogger Man killed a mountain lion with his bare hands.  Not a chance.  

Trench Knife, which stupidity is illegal in NY.

• Like (+1) 1