The Phantom Hold and why the NFL is dying

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

So all the other owners are going along with this conspiracy.

If you actually think this way. Then it doesnt matter what the Bills do in the off season.

Your right but I still watch the WWF because it is entertaining. I know the Bills are going to get at least 3 total BS calls vs the Patriots. Like wrestling I know it's fake and scripted but I just watch for the entertainment value and FFL.

I'm sick of people arguing that "human error" is still a part of the game.

That's fine, but it's irrelevant when discussing these "missed calls."

This isn't human error. It's institutionalized manipulation.

Not calling NRC's targeting at the end of the Saints game and then calling him for an even lesser offense in the beginning of the Pats game - it was the perfect display in back-to-back games of the blatant officiating biases and resulting inconsistencies.

I hated that call.  I also hated the call on Robey-Coleman when he blew up the RB in the backfield earlier in the game.  It was a bang-bang play and he just bombed the guy, got called for hit to the head, although I'm not sure how he could have avoided it.  Instead of 3rd and 16 or so, the ball was moved 15 yards from the line of scrimmage and NE got a first down. In a game of shifting field position, that call may have been huge.

Brady is better than Goff.  That's probably the end of the story.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The holding call on the Rams center early in the fourth after Gurleys 13 yard run was no doubt the turning point in the game.  Instead of first and 10 on the *patriots 43 after just tying the game and with all of the momentum the Rams faced a 1 and 20 in their own territory.  They went on to punt and the *pats scored the game winning touchdown.  I have watched that replay 10 times and there is no way that should have ever been called a hold.  It’s these “inconspicuous” type of blatant calls in the NFL that have the ratings for the Superbowl at a 10 year low.  

The point being people like me are realizing there are just to many variables to be able to win a game in the NFL, with the refs being number 1. You really have to hope that your team is “allowed” to win.  The Rams never really had a chance and it was made clear after that atrocious call. The *pats were penalized TWO TIMES up until the *pats last drive when the game was already over.  How do they play such perfect football?

The holding call was bogus, no question. 

On the other hand.... great teams overcome that stuff.  The Rams were outcoached and on the O side, outplayed.  There were places where they played not to lose.  That's not good enough in the Superbowl. 

Compare and contrast with last year's Superbowl where the Iggles came in with attitude.  Their reaction would have been "yeah, right, Got it.  We'll beat you Patsies and your stripy 12 guys too." 

You can't point at the refs and that phantom hold call without pointing at Goff's missed blitz pickup/sack that shoved them back out of fieldgoal range and his back-breaking INT.   The Rams didn't do enough to win.  Period.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The holding call was bogus, no question. 

On the other hand.... great teams overcome that stuff.  The Rams were outcoached and on the O side, outplayed.  There were places where they played not to lose.  That's not good enough in the Superbowl. 

Compare and contrast with last year's Superbowl where the Iggles came in with attitude.  Their reaction would have been "yeah, right, Got it.  We'll beat you Patsies and your stripy 12 guys too." 

You can't point at the refs and that phantom hold call without pointing at Goff's missed blitz pickup/sack that shoved them back out of fieldgoal range and his back-breaking INT.   The Rams didn't do enough to win.  Period.

This.  End of story.

The question should be "why call that penalty, at that time of the game on an interior lineman"?

Why do nfl officials inject themselves into the game that way on what will almost always be a marginal call unless a QB is running around or a team is setting up a screen?

I guess it is easier to just continue to ball-wash NE and their o-line that never holds.

I certainly don't want to start not following my team, but the over-officiating is making the game harder to watch, and I am on the fence in regards to making holds reviewable... the game would move at a glacial pace.

There is some holding on every play, it is the selective application of penalizing it that irritates me (see Jerry Hughes), and officials could just choose to flag the individuals or teams they want to call out. Reviews would take time and make those selective calls stand.

I am thinking less is more. Perhaps if the NFL created a hard cap to reduce the number of non-reviewable flags (sans dangerous or unsportsmanlike plays) that can be thrown per game they would make the game more enjoyable for all by having less overall officiating. Similar concept to limiting challenge calls by coaches.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

The NFL ratings were up 5% since last year and the championship round was a monster. The only reason the ratings sucked in the super bowl was New England. 

I think the league is going to start realizing that the patriots & their success is actually hurting the popularity of the game.  Fans of other teams, rightfully so are tired of seeing these guys.  it is not so much the penalties called against NE opponents, it is when they are called.  yes the Rams missed numerous opportunities to tilt the game in their favor but......it does always seem like NE is the benefactor of a big call late in the game that appears to be a phantom call.  Fans around the league are tired of it & if Goodell was smart going into next year he would send a memo to the head of refs to have his boys knock off the favoritism.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

In the KC playoff game, Watkins had a 38 yard pass play that set up the go-ahead td late in the fourth. It was BLATANT offensive PI, with the other KC receiver making no attempt to run a route and instead clearing out not one but two NE defenders way zone where he ia allowed to do that.

Yep. KC had most of the bigger calls go their way in that AFCCG.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, they had punted on 8  possessions to that point....but THAT one, that was going to be the drive that brought them back!!

For the record, after the penalty, it was still 1st down and the Rams were on their 33 (instead of the NE 44 without penalty).  The drive was still alive and approaching midfield.  Then the Rams went: sack, incomplete, Gurley for -1 yard, punt.  3 plays and they LOST 3 more yards.

Pretty weak take, OP...

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The holding call on the Rams center early in the fourth after Gurleys 13 yard run was no doubt the turning point in the game.  Instead of first and 10 on the *patriots 43 after just tying the game and with all of the momentum the Rams faced a 1 and 20 in their own territory.  They went on to punt and the *pats scored the game winning touchdown.  I have watched that replay 10 times and there is no way that should have ever been called a hold.  It’s these “inconspicuous” type of blatant calls in the NFL that have the ratings for the Superbowl at a 10 year low.  

The point being people like me are realizing there are just to many variables to be able to win a game in the NFL, with the refs being number 1. You really have to hope that your team is “allowed” to win.  The Rams never really had a chance and it was made clear after that atrocious call. The *pats were penalized TWO TIMES up until the *pats last drive when the game was already over.  How do they play such perfect football?

But it isn’t really all about the refs.  There are as many uncotrolled variables as a poker tournement with 3,000 people.  No matter how good you are at the end you need the right run of cards and about a million other tiny things to go your way.  That is the odds of your team winning the Big Game if your not the *pats.  No matter how good you are in the NFL the refs, injuries, freak plays, and many other factors make the NFL a game of luck which is sad to me.  People are realizing it’s all about luck unless your the *pats and winning the Superbowl is just like hitting a # on the roulette wheel, there is really no ryme or  reason when it comes down to it and 31 teams are just hoping they get lucky and the cards fall their way, just a big gamble really.  A game of chance, it’s just the hard truth for fans like us who wish there was justice in something we invested so much time and emotion in.    

On a side note edelman winning mvp  is a great message for the kids that if you cheat it pays off. And bravo hiring an arrest riddled rapper to be part of the halftime show. Stay classy Goodell and the NFL

You used to have somewhat credible posts in the past as I recall  .  Seems like you have devolved into spewing  conspiracy theories .

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

You used to have somewhat credible posts in the past as I recall  .  Seems like you have devolved into spewing  conspiracy theories .

if you watch the game with Rumpelstiltskin-level hating of the superior team, you will cry out that the refs favour them every single play

you probably whined that Jordan was traveling even when he didn't touch the ball, the Pats are holding every single play, the Sabres are being interfered with all game long

it's really annoying sitting with people like this, i just want to watch the game and see sports excellence, and the far superior team is probably going to win the game....

10 hours ago, Logic said:

The holding call stunk. 

HOWEVER...

Football is and always has been an imperfect game. It is subject to human error by the officials, whose jobs are much harder than they appear to us who get to watch the game from our couch in super slo-mo HD. The refs pretty much "let 'em play" all night long on Sunday, for better or worse. The play you mentioned was one exception.

The bad holding call didn't cause Goff to throw too late to a wide open Cooks, negating a touchdown. The bad holding call didn't force the Rams to come out in base defensive personnel on four straight plays against the Pats empty sets, leading to an easy Pats touchdown drive. The bad holding call didn't cause Wade Phillips to choose not to double cover Julian PEDelman on numerous critical 3rd downs. Even DIRECTLY after that holding call, on 2nd and 22, the instant replay showed that Robert Woods got WIDE open for first down yardage on a deep square in. Goff missed him and chucked it deep to the well-covered flanker instead. I could go on and on.

The bottom line is that blaming the entire outcome of the game on one bad offensive holding call -- when the Rams had NUMEROUS opportunities to win that game, needing only to score TWO touchdowns in four quarters -- is bogus. The Pats earned the win, the Rams earned the loss. 

Nicely put.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I think the league is going to start realizing that the patriots & their success is actually hurting the popularity of the game.  Fans of other teams, rightfully so are tired of seeing these guys.  it is not so much the penalties called against NE opponents, it is when they are called.  yes the Rams missed numerous opportunities to tilt the game in their favor but......it does always seem like NE is the benefactor of a big call late in the game that appears to be a phantom call.  Fans around the league are tired of it & if Goodell was smart going into next year he would send a memo to the head of refs to have his boys knock off the favoritism.  

The league wasn't hurting when Green Bay won 5 titles in the 60s, Pittsburgh 4 in the 70s, San Fran 4 in the 80s, Dallas 3 in the 90s, and the Patriots since the millennium started.  If anything, dynasties have helped advance the league's popularity given that yes, people hate those teams. 

This is you wanting something consistent with your opinion when it's not.  I can't stand the Patriots, but their dominance is not hurting ratings. 

Winning means overcoming adversity, and in most cases, not blaming things you can't control for not succeeding. This mindset that there's always a scapegoat like officiating is such a modern incarnation.  Los Angeles wasn't ready to win on Sunday and it showed.  One call wouldn't have changed that.

3 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

2001 - 4-12

2002 - 9-7

2003 - 6-10

2004 - 10-6

2005 - 6-10

2006 - 8-8

2007- 8-8

2008 - 8-8

2009 - 7-9

2010 - 5-11

2011 - 6-10

2012 - 7-9

2013 - 7-9

2014 - 9-7

2015 - 9-7

2016 - 7-9

2017 - 10-6

2018 - 7-9

What your seeing is the Bills Record had they SPLIT with New England every season.  Which I feel is something most divisional rivals should be able to accomplish.

what this shows me is that even by Buffalo being able to beat New England...they were rarely still ever a good enough team on their own to really matter in any serious conversation in the NFL.

Its not New England or The Refs or Bad Luck...it’s Buffalo as a Franchise being inept for nearly all the 21st Century.

I hate you. But posts don't get more on target than this.

Alright, I don't hate you but I hate to admit how right you are. Painful to think about.

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

if you watch the game with Rumpelstiltskin-level hating of the superior team, you will cry out that the refs favour them every single play

you probably whined that Jordan was traveling even when he didn't touch the ball, the Pats are holding every single play, the Sabres are being interfered with all game long

it's really annoying sitting with people like this, i just want to watch the game and see sports excellence, and the far superior team is probably going to win the game....

Hardly, I hate NE but pretty much expect the Bills to get the majority of the flags at any given game regardless of opponent.

Patriot players simply do not hold, they don't interfere with receivers, or use pick plays to free Edelman, they don't throw late hits, or lead with their helmets.

The point is that they do all of these things, but with the exception of one year they have led the league in fewest penalties assessed. I think they could use some more officiating "love".

When NE was actually assessed a pick during their game with KC, I almost choked on my drink...it is that rare.

The thing that annoys me most, is that you are partially right...most years they would easily beat the Bills without the help of phantom calls or blatant non-calls. It is an extra kick to the sprinkler my Bills do not need.

My favorite games to watch are those where I did not notice the refs, with minimal calls either way. Swallow the whistles and let them play.

Regarding my Sabres - they need a freaking kick in the pants. Out there skating figure 8's in the neutral zone, waiting for that breakout play vs backchecking and forechecking. Wondering if Housley is just too nice.