The Phantom Hold and why the NFL is dying

6 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The holding call on the Rams center early in the fourth after Gurleys 13 yard run was no doubt the turning point in the game.  Instead of first and 10 on the *patriots 43 after just tying the game and with all of the momentum the Rams faced a 1 and 20 in their own territory.  They went on to punt and the *pats scored the game winning touchdown.  I have watched that replay 10 times and there is no way that should have ever been called a hold.  It’s these “inconspicuous” type of blatant calls in the NFL that have the ratings for the Superbowl at a 10 year low.  

The point being people like me are realizing there are just to many variables to be able to win a game in the NFL, with the refs being number 1. You really have to hope that your team is “allowed” to win.  The Rams never really had a chance and it was made clear after that atrocious call. The *pats were penalized TWO TIMES up until the *pats last drive when the game was already over.  How do they play such perfect football?

But it isn’t really all about the refs.  There are as many uncotrolled variables as a poker tournement with 3,000 people.  No matter how good you are at the end you need the right run of cards and about a million other tiny things to go your way.  That is the odds of your team winning the Big Game if your not the *pats.  No matter how good you are in the NFL the refs, injuries, freak plays, and many other factors make the NFL a game of luck which is sad to me.  People are realizing it’s all about luck unless your the *pats and winning the Superbowl is just like hitting a # on the roulette wheel, there is really no ryme or  reason when it comes down to it and 31 teams are just hoping they get lucky and the cards fall their way, just a big gamble really.  A game of chance, it’s just the hard truth for fans like us who wish there was justice in something we invested so much time and emotion in.    

On a side note edelman winning mvp  is a great message for the kids that if you cheat it pays off. And bravo hiring an arrest riddled rapper to be part of the halftime show. Stay classy Goodell and the NFL

If you think its fixed why bother watching or following. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Logic said:

The holding call stunk. 

HOWEVER...

Football is and always has been an imperfect game. It is subject to human error by the officials, whose jobs are much harder than they appear to us who get to watch the game from our couch in super slo-mo HD. The refs pretty much "let 'em play" all night long on Sunday, for better or worse. The play you mentioned was one exception.

The bad holding call didn't cause Goff to throw too late to a wide open Cooks, negating a touchdown. The bad holding call didn't force the Rams to come out in base defensive personnel on four straight plays against the Pats empty sets, leading to an easy Pats touchdown drive. The bad holding call didn't cause Wade Phillips to choose not to double cover Julian PEDelman on numerous critical 3rd downs. Even DIRECTLY after that holding call, on 2nd and 22, the instant replay showed that Robert Woods got WIDE open for first down yardage on a deep square in. Goff missed him and chucked it deep to the well-covered flanker instead. I could go on and on.

The bottom line is that blaming the entire outcome of the game on one bad offensive holding call -- when the Rams had NUMEROUS opportunities to win that game, needing only to score TWO touchdowns in four quarters -- is bogus. The Pats earned the win, the Rams earned the loss. 

I agree with your premise that the game is officiated by imperfect people and is made up of so many judgement calls. I only question how the *pats o-line NEVER holds even though we see many obvious examples on replay every game?

• Like (+1) 2

The Patriots* always get the advantage of these calls and anyone who points them out get called old, bitter and get lame jokes about tin foil hats. I agree with the OP, a few well timed phantom calls can have a huge impact on the game. It inevitably happens in favor of the Pats* and if you mention it, you get mocked by all the closet New England fans on this board. 

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

The Patriots* always get the advantage of these calls and anyone who points them out get called old, bitter and get lame jokes about tin foil hats. I agree with the OP, a few we’ll timed phantom calls can have a huge impact on the game. It inevitably happens in favor of the Pats* and if you mention it, you get mocked by all the closet New England fans on this board. 

So all the other owners are going along with this conspiracy.

If you actually think this way. Then it doesnt matter what the Bills do in the off season.

17 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

you're

Also, Goff floated that first pass to Cooks in the endzone, giving McCourty time to cover ground and break up the play.  Big miss.  Just make the plays that are there to be made and you can win games against anyone, including the Pats.

When I watched that I thought, "That's a TD with our QB."

Can't wait.

• Like (+1) 2

2001 - 4-12

2002 - 9-7

2003 - 6-10

2004 - 10-6

2005 - 6-10

2006 - 8-8

2007- 8-8

2008 - 8-8

2009 - 7-9

2010 - 5-11

2011 - 6-10

2012 - 7-9

2013 - 7-9

2014 - 9-7

2015 - 9-7

2016 - 7-9

2017 - 10-6

2018 - 7-9

What your seeing is the Bills Record had they SPLIT with New England every season.  Which I feel is something most divisional rivals should be able to accomplish.

what this shows me is that even by Buffalo being able to beat New England...they were rarely still ever a good enough team on their own to really matter in any serious conversation in the NFL.

Its not New England or The Refs or Bad Luck...it’s Buffalo as a Franchise being inept for nearly all the 21st Century.

I don't think the NFL needs saving but if it did, moving towards an analysis of each and every play for any and all penalties that should or shouldn't have been called is not going to save it. As for 'luck", it seems like the best teams consistently have all the luck. If the uncertainties inherent in the game are too much for you, you might consider becoming a chess fan. 

5 hours ago, Jasovon said:

Stop devoting time to this. The patriots will lose Brady and belichick one day then we might be able to be relevant 

maybe 10 years from now that guy has some miracle mojo juice in his water.   But it was interesting that the game plan was a s long as close throw limited and run alot.   Once they needed the TD they went into spread and empty backfield.  This is the mistake the Rams ,ade they stayed in base offense that worked all year for them that gave Billy 18 games of film

7 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The *pats were penalized TWO TIMES up until the *pats last drive when the game was already over.  How do they play such perfect football?

They are better coached than any other team.

It wasn't holding on the Gurley run, you are right. However, Sullivan's arm does fling out towards the defender's shoulder almost like he was going to grab and thought better of it as his guy was going down. In slow motion it is very, very easy to see he doesn't hold. In full speed looking through bodies I can understand why it was called but the refs should always err on the side of not calling if in doubt.

I thought the refs did a good job in the Superbowl on the whole.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

So all the other owners are going along with this conspiracy.

If you actually think this way. Then it doesnt matter what the Bills do in the off season.

First of all, I never said it was a conspiracy, that is just another insult that you closet patriot* fans use to insult people who point out the bad officiating and how it is often in the favor of the patriots*.

Secondly, other teams don’t “go along with it”. I heard player, coaches and owners complaining about inconsistent officiating all season long. They just can’t say too much or they get fined by the league.

7 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The holding call on the Rams center early in the fourth after Gurleys 13 yard run was no doubt the turning point in the game.  Instead of first and 10 on the *patriots 43 after just tying the game and with all of the momentum the Rams faced a 1 and 20 in their own territory.  They went on to punt and the *pats scored the game winning touchdown.  I have watched that replay 10 times and there is no way that should have ever been called a hold.  It’s these “inconspicuous” type of blatant calls in the NFL that have the ratings for the Superbowl at a 10 year low.  

The point being people like me are realizing there are just to many variables to be able to win a game in the NFL, with the refs being number 1. You really have to hope that your team is “allowed” to win.  The Rams never really had a chance and it was made clear after that atrocious call. The *pats were penalized TWO TIMES up until the *pats last drive when the game was already over.  How do they play such perfect football?

But it isn’t really all about the refs.  There are as many uncotrolled variables as a poker tournement with 3,000 people.  No matter how good you are at the end you need the right run of cards and about a million other tiny things to go your way.  That is the odds of your team winning the Big Game if your not the *pats.  No matter how good you are in the NFL the refs, injuries, freak plays, and many other factors make the NFL a game of luck which is sad to me.  People are realizing it’s all about luck unless your the *pats and winning the Superbowl is just like hitting a # on the roulette wheel, there is really no ryme or  reason when it comes down to it and 31 teams are just hoping they get lucky and the cards fall their way, just a big gamble really.  A game of chance, it’s just the hard truth for fans like us who wish there was justice in something we invested so much time and emotion in.    

On a side note edelman winning mvp  is a great message for the kids that if you cheat it pays off. And bravo hiring an arrest riddled rapper to be part of the halftime show. Stay classy Goodell and the NFL

What about the pretty blatant hold on Edelman by Peters (sideline throw) that if called would have resulted in a first down for PNE  inside LA’s 40 yard line on the previous possession? Peters clearly yanked and tugged his jersey, and it was more obvious than the semi-borderline call on Gilmore on the Rams’ next possession.

42 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

I have never seen a questionable call go against New England at a critical point in a game. Just sayin...

In the KC playoff game, Watkins had a 38 yard pass play that set up the go-ahead td late in the fourth. It was BLATANT offensive PI, with the other KC receiver making no attempt to run a route and instead clearing out not one but two NE defenders way zone where he ia allowed to do that.

Edited by dave mcbride

33 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

First of all, I never said it was a conspiracy, that is just another insult that you closet patriot* fans use to insult people who point out the bad officiating and how it is often in the favor of the patriots*.

Secondly, other teams don’t “go along with it”. I heard player, coaches and owners complaining about inconsistent officiating all season long. They just can’t say too much or they get fined by the league.

When you state that officiating helps one team out of 32 with no basis to back that up except for nitpicking a few calls. conspiracy is implied.

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

I have never seen a questionable call go against New England at a critical point in a game. Just sayin...

There were a few questionable calls that went against New England in Super Bowl 52. Everybody hated Collinsworth for pointing it out. I hate New England as much as anyone, but I was surprised things went Philadelphia's way that game. My enthusiasm for the NFL will continually die, as long as the other 15 teams in the AFC continue to let the Patriots win their conference year after year.

11 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

When you state that officiating helps one team out of 32 with no basis to back that up except for nitpicking a few calls. conspiracy is implied.

I didn't say they were the only team that benefits from bad calls, but are you seriously saying there is no basis to back up the Patriots* getting more than their fair share of timely help from the officials?! We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

Just watching every play to show up the officials

should stop watching sports if that is the prime reason to watch

I agree with you- i have watched much less NFL the past few years because of the officiating being atrocious. Why watch something where the most incompentent people on the field are in charge?

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

It does not have to be never to be valid because on  balance it is about 4 to 1 close calls going their way. My father in law is a pats* lover and loves to point out how eagles one td last should have been overturned. It is the only one he has but he is right.