The Phantom Hold and why the NFL is dying

The holding call on the Rams center early in the fourth after Gurleys 13 yard run was no doubt the turning point in the game.  Instead of first and 10 on the *patriots 43 after just tying the game and with all of the momentum the Rams faced a 1 and 20 in their own territory.  They went on to punt and the *pats scored the game winning touchdown.  I have watched that replay 10 times and there is no way that should have ever been called a hold.  It’s these “inconspicuous” type of blatant calls in the NFL that have the ratings for the Superbowl at a 10 year low.  

The point being people like me are realizing there are just to many variables to be able to win a game in the NFL, with the refs being number 1. You really have to hope that your team is “allowed” to win.  The Rams never really had a chance and it was made clear after that atrocious call. The *pats were penalized TWO TIMES up until the *pats last drive when the game was already over.  How do they play such perfect football?

But it isn’t really all about the refs.  There are as many uncotrolled variables as a poker tournement with 3,000 people.  No matter how good you are at the end you need the right run of cards and about a million other tiny things to go your way.  That is the odds of your team winning the Big Game if your not the *pats.  No matter how good you are in the NFL the refs, injuries, freak plays, and many other factors make the NFL a game of luck which is sad to me.  People are realizing it’s all about luck unless your the *pats and winning the Superbowl is just like hitting a # on the roulette wheel, there is really no ryme or  reason when it comes down to it and 31 teams are just hoping they get lucky and the cards fall their way, just a big gamble really.  A game of chance, it’s just the hard truth for fans like us who wish there was justice in something we invested so much time and emotion in.    

On a side note edelman winning mvp  is a great message for the kids that if you cheat it pays off. And bravo hiring an arrest riddled rapper to be part of the halftime show. Stay classy Goodell and the NFL

Edited by Estelle Getty
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

The holding call stunk. 

HOWEVER...

Football is and always has been an imperfect game. It is subject to human error by the officials, whose jobs are much harder than they appear to us who get to watch the game from our couch in super slo-mo HD. The refs pretty much "let 'em play" all night long on Sunday, for better or worse. The play you mentioned was one exception.

The bad holding call didn't cause Goff to throw too late to a wide open Cooks, negating a touchdown. The bad holding call didn't force the Rams to come out in base defensive personnel on four straight plays against the Pats empty sets, leading to an easy Pats touchdown drive. The bad holding call didn't cause Wade Phillips to choose not to double cover Julian PEDelman on numerous critical 3rd downs. Even DIRECTLY after that holding call, on 2nd and 22, the instant replay showed that Robert Woods got WIDE open for first down yardage on a deep square in. Goff missed him and chucked it deep to the well-covered flanker instead. I could go on and on.

The bottom line is that blaming the entire outcome of the game on one bad offensive holding call -- when the Rams had NUMEROUS opportunities to win that game, needing only to score TWO touchdowns in four quarters -- is bogus. The Pats earned the win, the Rams earned the loss. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

The holding call stunk. 

HOWEVER...

Football is and always has been an imperfect game. It is subject to human error by the officials, whose jobs are much harder than they appear to us who get to watch the game from our couch in super slo-mo HD. The refs pretty much "let 'em play" all night long on Sunday, for better or worse. The play you mentioned was one exception.

The bad holding call didn't cause Goff to throw too late to a wide open Cooks, negating a touchdown. The bad holding call didn't force the Rams to come out in base defensive personnel on four straight plays against the Pats empty sets, leading to an easy Pats touchdown drive. The bad holding call didn't cause Wade Phillips to choose not to double cover Julian PEDelman on numerous critical 3rd downs. Even DIRECTLY after that holding call, on 2nd and 22, the instant replay showed that Robert Woods got WIDE open for first down yardage on a deep square in. Goff missed him and chucked it deep to the well-covered flanker instead. I could go on and on.

The bottom line is that blaming the entire outcome of the game on one bad offensive holding call -- when the Rams had NUMEROUS opportunities to win that game, needing only to score TWO touchdowns in four quarters -- is bogus. The Pats earned the win, the Rams earned the loss. 

And the egregious non interference in the NO game makes people forget that the idiot saints and their idiot coach didnt just run the clock down on that series to mere seconds while setting up the gimme FG for the win. INC pass on 1st down .incomplete on the non call. no time off the clock and LA has all day to march down and tie it. Inexcusable. Why on Gods earth were they throwing the ball that series???? To maybe get a TD that would still leave the Rams a chance to tie it because of good time left on the clock?

Stupid teams get hurt the worst from bad calls. 

• Like (+1) 2

Rams deserves to lose, but this is why challenging penalties or non-penalties must be done. There’s too much riding on the line. I’m willing to lose a few plays per game & perhaps the playclock should be wound down to 35 seconds from 40 to offset. 

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Rams deserves to lose, but this is why challenging penalties or non-penalties must be done. There’s too much riding on the line. I’m willing to lose a few plays per game & perhaps the playclock should be wound down to 35 seconds from 40 to offset. 

That call pry wouldn't have been reversed though as John Sullivan did have a hold of the defenders jersey so it would have to be indisputable video evidence that he didn't .  I like the idea of giving the head coach one challenge a game to challenge a ref's judgement call and another one in the final five minutes of the game.  I just worry about it slowing the game down even more.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi from Australia. Could I thank everyone who contributes to this board. You have helped me learn so much more about the Bills and the NFL than I would have otherwise.

In Australia, our main sports our cricket, rugby league, and Australian Rules. We also play soccer and rugby union. From following them all off and on for too many decades, I can assure you that there is one consistent law of officiating in all of them: the better team will almost always benefit from the close or contested calls. If the better team is also the home team, this rule is almost guaranteed.

There’s nothing to be done except to take down the dominant team and then the rule will apply to the next dominant team.

I have always really enjoyed the relative lack of controversy about officiating in NFL. I stopped following rugby league closely when complaints about the officiating became the main topic of conversation between fans and often, pundits every week. It’s boring.

Please don’t let the NFL go too far down this path.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

That call pry wouldn't have been reversed though as John Sullivan did have a hold of the defenders jersey so it would have to be indisputable video evidence that he didn't .  I like the idea of giving the head coach one challenge a game to challenge a ref's judgement call and another one in the final five minutes of the game.  I just worry about it slowing the game down even more.

It needs to be implemented. Penalties are non-reviewable which makes them much more important then current plays that can be reviewed. I want the ability to challenge 1 play per drive. 

5 hours ago, Estelle Getty said:

The point being people like me are realizing there are just to many variables to be able to win a game in the NFL, with the refs being number 1. You really have to hope that your team is “allowed” to win.  The Rams never really had a chance and it was made clear after that atrocious call. The *pats were penalized TWO TIMES up until the *pats last drive when the game was already over.  How do they play such perfect football?

But it isn’t really all about the refs.  There are as many uncotrolled variables as a poker tournement with 3,000 people.  No matter how good you are at the end you need the right run of cards and about a million other tiny things to go your way.  That is the odds of your team winning the Big Game if your not the *pats.  No matter how good you are in the NFL the refs, injuries, freak plays, and many other factors make the NFL a game of luck which is sad to me.  People are realizing it’s all about luck unless your the *pats and winning the Superbowl is just like hitting a # on the roulette wheel, there is really no ryme or  reason when it comes down to it and 31 teams are just hoping they get lucky and the cards fall their way, just a big gamble really.  A game of chance, it’s just the hard truth for fans like us who wish there was justice in something we invested so much time and emotion in.    

On a side note edelman winning mvp  is a great message for the kids that if you cheat it pays off. And bravo hiring an arrest riddled rapper to be part of the halftime show. Stay classy Goodell and the NFL

My conspiracy theory is that the belicheat/pats*** wanted the Rams over the Saints, so to make that happen, the refs let a blatant PI go that affected the outcome of the game.   Sets up a young inexperienced team vs the pats*** instead of an excellent veteran QB and head coach.  The Saints were robbed and have every right to be pissed.  

Half the times edelman was open were due to his ability to push off and not get called for it.

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

It needs to be implemented. Penalties are non-reviewable which makes them much more important then current plays that can be reviewed. I want the ability to challenge 1 play per drive. 

They'd have to move the 4pm games to 9pm then.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1