Adam Schefter: Julian Edelman Is a Hall Of Fame candidate

Is Julian Edleman a Hall of Fame WR?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Is Julian Edleman a Hall of Fame WR?

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Julie needs another 4-5 years to qualify.

he'll need far more than that.  the guy has barely cracked 1000 yrd twice.  there's guys like issac bruce who are still waiting to get in, and he's had what, 10,000 yards more than edelman.  he's just not that great of a player day in and day out to be a hof'er.  

1 minute ago, Mark92 said:

I literally said to get past your hang up on them not to completely toss them out.  He's a HOF player in my book and in a lot of people's book.  We can agree to disagree.  

Your book doesn't matter. Neither does mine, BTW. It's up to the selection committee.

I hope they judge him by his full body of work, which is totally lacking, rather than his ability to ride coattails into the playoffs.

Just now, Mark92 said:

I forgot it's impossible to have an opinion on this board.  Either drink the cool aid or be ridiculed.  

this has nothing to do with "kool aid" or the pats.  get over it.  

Just now, MJS said:

Your book doesn't matter. Neither does mine, BTW. It's up to the selection committee.

I hope they judge him by his full body of work, which is totally lacking, rather than his ability to ride coattails into the playoffs.

i don't know why people don't understand this.  it's an entire career that get you in.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

he'll need far more than that.  the guy has barely cracked 1000 yrd twice.  there's guys like issac bruce who are still waiting to get in, and he's had what, 10,000 yards more than edelman.  he's just not that great of a player day in and day out to be a hof'er.  

Lynn Swann was made to wait along time to get in, i never had any doubts he belonged

but it’s the Harold Baines Era for what used to take a lot to get into a legit HOF....

• Like (+1) 1

They’ll set up a side committee that lets in Julian, just you watch....

He will get in and every day at Canton at least 100 Pats fans will be there praising him, ruining your enjoyment....  :D

I totally understand how hall of fame voting works.  I know his regular season numbers are not close to the threshold that gets you in.  However, there is not another receiver in NFL history that has his post season numbers and accomplishments without the regular season numbers.  He is an interesting case and I believe his post season numbers will get him in.  You all can feel how you like and make your arguments with voter history on your side.  I'm just saying I believe his post season numbers which probably will climb more should get him in.  Not 1st ballot obviously but he will get in.  

5 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

I totally understand how hall of fame voting works.  I know his regular season numbers are not close to the threshold that gets you in.  However, there is not another receiver in NFL history that has his post season numbers and accomplishments without the regular season numbers.  He is an interesting case and I believe his post season numbers will get him in.  You all can feel how you like and make your arguments with voter history on your side.  I'm just saying I believe his post season numbers which probably will climb more should get him in.  Not 1st ballot obviously but he will get in.  

ehhhhhhh.

again, this wasn't just my opinion about edelman.  it was the people who actually vote on the inductions that thought the idea was insane.  post season stats alone will not get you in.  that's what edelman has.  he's an amazing wr who stepped up in a huge way when he had to.  so did joe flacco.  neither should be in the hall.

11 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Harold ***** Baines got in with a SJW bogus side committee.

anything goes now

53 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

The Patriots hate is strong in here..... As it should be.  I never said to look past his regular season numbers.  Truth is most players only have regular season numbers.  Edelman has both and his post season numbers will get him in.  There will come a point where a lot of these Patriots are going to make their way in because of the postseason accomplishments.  

yoda_o_240958.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

He shouldn't get in based on his regular season stats, but I'm a firm believer that postseason numbers should be taken into consideration. It's why Terrell Davis, who had 1,140 rushing yards and 12 TDs in 8 postseason games (extrapolated to 16 games, that's 2,280 yards and 24 TDs) against the highest level of competition, is in -- and rightfully so. Edelman has 115 receptions and 1,412 receptions in 18 games (only 14 starts; he was a special teamer when he started there). That's damn impressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, teef said:

ehhhhhhh.

again, this wasn't just my opinion about edelman.  it was the people who actually vote on the inductions that thought the idea was insane.  post season stats alone will not get you in.  that's what edelman has.  he's an amazing wr who stepped up in a huge way when he had to.  so did joe flacco.  neither should be in the hall.

I think his postseason will get him in.  It's not just one season like flacco.  He does it all the time.  

Just now, Mark92 said:

I think his postseason will get him in.  It's not just one season like flacco.  He does it all the time.  

i suppose it's just a question of whether post season play can get you in.  i don't think it's even that his regular season stats are good enough that his playoff stats will push him over the top.  it would be mostly based on the post season, which he was fantastic in.

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He shouldn't get in based on his regular season stats, but I'm a firm believer that postseason numbers should be taken into consideration. It's why Terrell Davis, who had 1,140 rushing yards and 12 TDs in 8 postseason games (extrapolated to 16 games, that's 2,280 yards and 24 TDs) against the highest level of competition, is in -- and rightfully so. Edelman has 115 receptions and 1,412 receptions in 18 games (only 14 starts; he was a special teamer when he started there). That's damn impressive. 

terrell davis also had huge numbers during the season.  didn't have have over 2000 yards one year?  the guy was a game changer all year round.  edelman isn't nearly as much if at all.

8 minutes ago, teef said:

i suppose it's just a question of whether post season play can get you in.  i don't think it's even that his regular season stats are good enough that his playoff stats will push him over the top.  it would be mostly based on the post season, which he was fantastic in.

terrell davis also had huge numbers during the season.  didn't have have over 2000 yards one year?  the guy was a game changer all year round.  edelman isn't nearly as much if at all.

No, he's not, but I won't be surprised if he gets another 250 catches or so over the next three seasons and ends up with ~750-800 for his whole career. His career ain't over yet.

Has he ever even been a number 1 option on the Pats?  How many other players could do similar in the same role?  He is another Tom Brady creation like Deion Branch, Wes Welker (again who was a better player than JE), David Patton, David Givens, etc.

he is a little scumbag and made a nice career for himself catching 5 yard passes from the best QB ever.  But putting him in the HOF just goes a step further in devaluing it.  

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No, he's not, but I won't be surprised if he gets another 250 catches or so over the next three seasons and ends up with ~750-800 for his whole career. His career ain't over yet.

never say never i suppose.  but besides catches, doesn't total yards matter?  he'd have to play longer than a few seasons to catch up.  to me, hall of famers should be guys that their team can't do without.  if he wasn't on the pats, i don't think their dominance would be any less.  they would have plugged and played another guy into that roll, and life would go on.  

his numbers in the playoffs are huge because he's there all the time.  being on the pats alone plumps up those numbers.  not to take anything way from his play in the playoffs, because he deserved the mvp many times over.  he's been a game changer in some important game absolutely, but that's not who he has been over his entire career.  shouldn't that be who the hof is reserved for?

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Has he ever even been a number 1 option on the Pats?  How many other players could do similar in the same role?  He is another Tom Brady creation like Deion Branch, Wes Welker (again who was a better player than JE), David Patton, David Givens, etc.

he is a little scumbag and made a nice career for himself catching 5 yard passes from the best QB ever.  But putting him in the HOF just goes a step further in devaluing it.  

agreed.  this was the point i was trying to make as well.

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Catches is such an overblown stat.  JE gets a lot of catches becaus teams pass a ton more.  Catches is so misleading when you compare guys from this generation to previous ones.  

The HOF should be reversed for greatness.  Cole Beasley on the Pats isn’t greatness.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

When Tom Brady has needed a 1st down he goes to Edelman.  Scumbags make the hall as well.  Character doesn't get you in unfortunately.  

4 minutes ago, teef said:

never say never i suppose.  but besides catches, doesn't total yards matter?  he'd have to play longer than a few seasons to catch up.  to me, hall of famers should be guys that their team can't do without.  if he wasn't on the pats, i don't think their dominance would be any less.  they would have plugged and played another guy into that roll, and life would go on.  

his numbers in the playoffs are huge because he's there all the time.  being on the pats alone plumps up those numbers.  not to take anything way from his play in the playoffs, because he deserved the mvp many times over.  he's been a game changer in some important game absolutely, but that's not who he has been over his entire career.  shouldn't that be who the hof

Jerry Rice has huge numbers in the postseason because he was a 49er.  You can't blame a player for playing on good teams.  Eric Moulds would have been amazing in the postseason if the team could get him there! 

6 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

When Tom Brady has needed a 1st down he goes to Edelman.  Scumbags make the hall as well.  Character doesn't get you in unfortunately.  

He would go to Cole Beasley if he was in the role.  Same with average solid to decent slot receiver in the nfl.  JE runs good option routes and has good chemistry with Brady.  He could easily be replaced and they won’t miss a beat.  Just like the Pats did with Welker, a much better player than JE who will not get in the HOF.

and I agree about the character.  I just want to point out that he is a cheating scumbag who takes cheap shots.

i just looked up the stats between Welker and Little Julian.  Welker has almost double JE’s yards and Tds and he isn’t sniffing the HOF.  Some people are just prisoners of the moments. Is Brandon Stokley making the HOF?

8 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

Jerry Rice has huge numbers in the postseason because he was a 49er.  You can't blame a player for playing on good teams.  Eric Moulds would have been amazing in the postseason if the team could get him there! 

You don’t see the problem with comparing Rice and JE?  You can’t be in the HOF if teams don’t game plan to stop you.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Catches is such an overblown stat.  JE gets a lot of catches becaus teams pass a ton more.  Catches is so misleading when you compare guys from this generation to previous ones.  

The HOF should be reversed for greatness.  Cole Beasley on the Pats isn’t greatness.

Well, he's great in the postseason, and I'm a firm believer that the postseason matters -- A LOT. I also think he's at least as good as Welker, and let's not forget that Welker choked big time against the Giants in the 2011 SB and the Ravens in the 2012 AFC championship game early in the second half when the Pats had a chance to put the game away. Those were two huge drops on relatively easy throws that would have changed the game if caught.  The drop in the SB arguably cost them the game. If he catches that, they're in the red zone and can probably run out the clock. 

I'm not saying Edelman should get in, by the way. 

@C.Biscuit97  -- Edelman never did this. Watch this play closely. It's a terrible drop: 

Edited by dave mcbride