Rich Stadium concert question

RochesterRob

12 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Didnt they get booed off stage?

I think it was more that people weren't paying any attention to them as all eyes were diverted to some idiot who was trying to cross the field using one of those cables that held up the screen in the end zone that FG's and XP's hit.

Besides that, George Thorogood opened the show and he won the audience over, Journey couldn't match George.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

I think it was more that people weren't paying any attention to them as all eyes were diverted to some idiot who was trying to cross the field using one of those cables that held up the screen in the end zone that FG's and XP's hit.

Besides that, George Thorogood opened the show and he won the audience over, Journey couldn't match George.

I'm kind of surprised as Journey was the "it" band of the early 1980's.  But one has to consider the sounds are different between the two.  Thorogood probably has a little more pull with a working class audience.  Still have not found my answer as I can't find the actual MTV clip.  Lots of reunion concert material.  Perhaps the original material is protected from Youtube viewership.

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'm kind of surprised as Journey was the "it" band of the early 1980's.  But one has to consider the sounds are different between the two.  Thorogood probably has a little more pull with a working class audience.  Still have not found my answer as I can't find the actual MTV clip.  Lots of reunion concert material.  Perhaps the original material is protected from Youtube viewership.

Journey was NOT the it band in the early 80's.  Everyone had a WTF moment when they were announced as the opening act for that Stones show.   They were and still are a chick band from the era, and the nostalgia act is rewriting history about their popularity back in the day.   They rank right up with REO Speedwagon

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GG said:

Journey was NOT the it band in the early 80's.  Everyone had a WTF moment when they were announced as the opening act for that Stones show.   They were and still are a chick band from the era, and the nostalgia act is rewriting history about their popularity back in the day.   They rank right up with REO Speedwagon

We can go back and forth on Journey and like I said they are not an alpha male band.  They were getting the most airtime for a group on MTV back when that first started.  As far as the Stones go while I liked a fair amount of their material they were derided as being the band for your brother who is 8-10 years older than you.  It still does not change the bottom line for me which is trying to get and keep a desirable girl who happens to be into Journey complete with concert shirt.  The ones with a white body and colored sleeves made of a thick cotton.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

We can go back and forth on Journey and like I said they are not an alpha male band.  They were getting the most airtime for a group on MTV back when that first started.  As far as the Stones go while I liked a fair amount of their material they were derided as being the band for your brother who is 8-10 years older than you.  It still does not change the bottom line for me which is trying to get and keep a desirable girl who happens to be into Journey complete with concert shirt.  The ones with a white body and colored sleeves made of a thick cotton.

It's more about the promoters' stupidity of sandwiching Journey between Thorogood and the Stones.   And Journey reinforced it by sucking on stage.   Much unlike The Clash in the following year.

PS -  May that promoter rot in hell

2 minutes ago, GG said:

It's more about the promoters' stupidity of sandwiching Journey between Thorogood and the Stones.   And Journey reinforced it by sucking on stage.   Much unlike The Clash in the following year.

Was that when the Clash opened for The Who concert? 

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Agreed.  Journey is not a fit with the Stones and Thorogood.  The promoter no doubt was looking at MTV airtime and national sales and not considering the audience.  I think Buffalo has been short changed a fair amount in this respect.  

5 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Happened during a Bills Monday Night game I was at, 1975 vs the Giants.  We were 4-0 going in and took a 14-0 lead when some dude did that.  We weren't the same after that delay and lost 17-14.  Then lost 3 of the next 4 and the season crumbled.

6 hours ago, GG said:

Absolutely.  The blew the stadium away.

I was at that show too ... The promoter got it right for this one ... Opened with David Johansson who did an Animals cover and not much else ... Followed by the Clash, who I wasn't a fan of before their performance ...  their performance however changed my opinion... they were great ... The Who was phenomenal that night, the sound was perfect.

5 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Happened during a Bills Monday Night game I was at, 1975 vs the Giants.  We were 4-0 going in and took a 14-0 lead when some dude did that.  We weren't the same after that delay and lost 17-14.  Then lost 3 of the next 4 and the season crumbled.

This idiot wasn't far from us .... Maybe 50 feet or so and 20 feet up at that point.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Filed with Foreigner, no thanks ever seriously 

more alpha than REO Speedwagon or Air Supply

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Filed with Foreigner, no thanks ever seriously 

more alpha than REO Speedwagon or Air Supply

I was more of a Leo Sayer fellow when I wanted to be mellow.  Not really.

I guess that you would have to go AC/DC if you really wanted the alpha male experience.  TNT.

Like I said for the right woman I would have put up with a couple hours of something I really did not like.  Not some idiot with nice measurements but the complete package with brains and drive.  I always fell for the honor roll girls in high school.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

I was more of a Leo Sayer fellow when I wanted to be mellow.  Not really.

I guess that you would have to go AC/DC if you really wanted the alpha male experience.  TNT.

Like I said for the right woman I would have put up with a couple hours of something I really did not like.  Not some idiot with nice measurements but the complete package with brains and drive.  I always fell for the honor roll girls in high school.

I don’t have to prove anything with dating boasting....

It’s all good, you had more fun than me....

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2019 at 11:22 AM, GG said:

Absolutely.  They blew the stadium away.

Yes they did! I was already a fan of the Clash. As forstbitmic said, "Opened with David Johansson who did an Animals cover and not much else." 

To be fair, Johansson was out of place at that venue. The crowd was not kind - very impatient. 

The Clash "rocked the casbah"! :w00t:

The Who started to sing "Love, Reign O'er Me" just when it started to rain. 

All things considered, without the big video screens they have today, a place like the Ralph is the WORST to see a band. I saw The Who at the Rochester War Memorial Auditorium in the early 70's (with Keith Moon) and it was the best! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rockpile said:

The Clash "rocked the casbah"! :w00t:

The Who started to sing "Love, Reign O'er Me" just when it started to rain. 

And it stopped raining just as the song ended, to which Roger Daltrey joked, "I'll bet The Stones can't do that."

I wasn't into The Clash at the time but I was impressed with their show.