My Hypothetical Julio Jones Trade....Yes or No?

Special K

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

You want him the most because he is so good...

The Falcons still have Jones under contract another two years at reasonable money..

They also probably think they are in Matt Ryan's Superbowl window...

I think having Jones on the team actually helps Ridley develop as he goes up against the No 2 CB each week...

Like I said.. I would expect them to trade Sanu first, but even that would be unlikely IMO

I would be gobsmacked if they traded Jones..

Matt Ryan has like 6-7 years left. They will likely turn the roster over twice in that window and jones will be gone by the end.

they won’t be giving him away though. Right price opens up a whole new window.

Don’t like the idea of trading for Julio. It’s a huge risk. He’s awesome, but not young, dinged up a lot, and has a fairly sizable contract. Higher than a rookie deal for sure. In your scenario, I’d rather keep the picks and make selections. 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

So you think the Redskins are going to trade their second round pick this year and next year’s first round pick to move from 16 to 9?  You are dreaming.  I’m not even sure they would trade just their second round pick to make that move.  

For the Bills and Redskins to swap- ir will net the Bills the Skins pick at 15 plus a 2 this year, possibly a 3 this year and a player without the 2. Of course there could be other scenarios but this is the most likely result if a swap was to happen, imo and according to draft value.

Edited by billsfan_34

3 hours ago, Special K said:

If the Bills could find a trade down partner, such as the Redskins or Steelers, and net a 2nd round pick this year and a 2020 1st round pick, then send those two picks to Atlanta for Julio Jones(assuming he would be willing to stay long term with the Bills), would you be willing to do this.

Essentially, the Bills would be getting Jones in return for moving down 10-15 spots in the first round of this years draft.

Do you think a move like this would be possible?

Would you do it if it was?

No.

Beane says we're gonna be calculated with our free agency moves. This calculation has too high a cost.  I don't see Beane making this move. I don't see him being willing to give up significant draft capital to bring Jones here & frankly I wouldn't do it either. Julio might be the big flashy signing some would like to have but I don't think its the best thing to do. Not at his age & term, nor his cost, both salary wise & what we'd have to give up to get him.

I love me some Special K, but on this trade i gotta say no

3 hours ago, mannc said:

So you think the Redskins are going to trade their second round pick this year and next year’s first round pick to move from 16 to 9?  You are dreaming.  I’m not even sure they would trade just their second round pick to make that move.  

If it's for a QB they will.

I'm certainly not against trading down if the opportunity presents itself. But this is not the kind of deal that I would be in favor of. I question Julio's durability at this stage of his career for one thing. I want Beane to shore up this teams OL in FA first and foremost. A serviceable TE would be nice too. Allen needs a WR who can grow with him and become a WR1 for years to come. The only teams I don't want to trade down with would be Miami or N.England because they are our direct competitors being in our division. An extra 2nd rd pick would come in handy. However, bearing all this in mind, if Beane decides to stay put at 9 and say draft a DL I'd support that move too. Not knowing what FA will bring makes it difficult to guess what Beane will do in the draft itself...

Edited by DefenseWins

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They used a #1 on a WR last year, plus have Sanu.  I can tell you I'm ready to give up on him as he's my keeper on my fantasy team and his numbers have been pretty low.  He'll have a couple of monster games, but overall  too many people to throw the ball to down there.

Well if you are ready to give him up on him in your fantasy team they will certainly move him on..

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Matt Ryan has like 6-7 years left. They will likely turn the roster over twice in that window and jones will be gone by the end.

they won’t be giving him away though. Right price opens up a whole new window.

Just because Brady can play well into his 40’s don’t assume they all can..

Every player is probably tradable for the right price... I just don’t see it this year..

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Special K said:

If the Bills could find a trade down partner, such as the Redskins or Steelers, and net a 2nd round pick this year and a 2020 1st round pick, then send those two picks to Atlanta for Julio Jones(assuming he would be willing to stay long term with the Bills), would you be willing to do this.

Essentially, the Bills would be getting Jones in return for moving down 10-15 spots in the first round of this years draft.

Like the idea of trading for Julio, but this scenario is all kinds of nope.

1.  0% chance we get both a 2nd this year and a first next year.  Absolute best case scenario is a 2nd and a 3rd/4th this year, and it’s most likely just a second.  Washington is in a bad spot, so may over pay, but no way it includes a 2020 first.  

2.  Julio Jones may not even fetch a first if traded, let alone and 2nd and a first round pick.  And if by some miracle we got that much from a trade down, then no way we should use it on Julio.  I would send Atl out 2nd and AT MOST throw in another pick this year like onenof our 4ths.  

With Julio’s age, contract, and injury risk...he’s not going to get some mega trade value.  People keep over estimating these things.  

So to answer your qiestion, no way would I trade a first and a second for Julio, especially in this very deep and rich draft at WR.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Special K said:

Are you suggesting we would get a 2019 1st round pick, 2019 2nd round pick and 2020 1st round pick for a team to come up to 9? This isn't even a remotely close trade, not a chance at all we get that kind of ransom for the 9th overall pick.

This team needs to start drafting and signing their own, screw Julio Jones find our Antonio Brown in this draft class, there is going to be a stud WR somewhere there almost always is, Beane needs to identify that WR and draft him, develop him.

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Well if you are ready to give him up on him in your fantasy team they will certainly move him on..

Just because Brady can play well into his 40’s don’t assume they all can..

Every player is probably tradable for the right price... I just don’t see it this year..

I put the close of his window at 39-40 with that. It’s not like I stretched it wildly. He’s still a young guy by an standards. 

assuming he would cost a pick we could part with (i dunno, a 3rd this year?) id be all over it.

we can give him a giant balloon first year, matching our cap room, and when he falls off in 3 years or so it's not an albatross.  imagine how our own young bama WR would do with julio on the other side!  allen would be lacing deep bombs all over the joint, would be great.

• Like (+1) 1

I dont know if its worth the trade whatever values and numbers are presented, but saying Julio isnt worth it because of talent and age is foolish.  Since Megatron retired Julio is the best in the leage and hasnt shown any signs of slowing up after 8 seasons or whatever.  Just imagine what a security blanket like JJ would mean for Allens development.

12 hours ago, dubs said:

Don’t like the idea of trading for Julio. It’s a huge risk. He’s awesome, but not young, dinged up a lot, and has a fairly sizable contract. Higher than a rookie deal for sure. In your scenario, I’d rather keep the picks and make selections. 

The only reason he would be available is because his contract is TOO SMALL for his liking.

13 hours ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair the saints model included cooks and graham being locker room distractions.

graham was allegedly 110% checked out after the tag arguments and the receivers were insulting each other on Twitter 

that aside- I think jones is available at the right price. I think beane would covet him. He would be a fantastic fit. I don’t know if stars will align though.

I suspect Jones will be checked out.........of OTA's and preseason and much of the season.........if he doesn't get his contract re-done.

His AAV will have to come in around $17M.

Easy for the Bills to swing.........they could even guarantee the first two years salary on a 4 year deal instead of a bonus and then be free to let him go with zero dead money or restructure after the 2020 season......at a time that coincides with young players like White/Allen/Edmunds being extendable.

Fans clutch to their first round picks but if there is a time to do this.......it is after you think you've just drafted 3 studs in round 1 in the past 2 years........ESPECIALLY with one being a QB.

Let's say they NAIL this years first and he turns into another $15M+ player..........you are going to lose someone in FA if you have a $30M QB and three $15M+ players to extend over a 3 year period.

First world problem..........but you have to take it into account if you are McBeane and really think long range.

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They used a #1 on a WR last year, plus have Sanu.  I can tell you I'm ready to give up on him as he's my keeper on my fantasy team and his numbers have been pretty low.  He'll have a couple of monster games, but overall  too many people to throw the ball to down there.

Julio? Dude was the NFL recieving leader! 1600+, DON'T LET HIM GO IF HE'S ON THE FALCONS.

I had him too. Just doesn't get as many TDs as you'd wish

This topic comes up a lot, but I have to ask: why would Atlanta, even factoring in the contract squabbling, trade one of the best players in the league ( https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneJu02.htm ) when everyone knows that it's win now for them or else? I'd be extremely surprised if he's not playing for the Falcons next season. They won their last 3 games in 2018, and they were definitely better than their 7-9 record. Injuries in their secondary killed them.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

My thought exactly.  I already let Beane know.

8 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Julio? Dude was the NFL recieving leader! 1600+, DON'T LET HIM GO IF HE'S ON THE FALCONS.

I had him too. Just doesn't get as many TDs as you'd wish

True and the scoring in our league is PPR  for WR 1 point for every 15 yards, so need TD's to rack up the points.  There were many weeks he didn't make his projection.

I also have Fornette, so need to decide between the two.  Fornette had a terrible year, but will see if he does get cut/traded or they gear the offense around him.