Goff was actually worse than you think...

blacklabel

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

He was awesome, now for the sophomore year and hopefully not get hurt

True.  I think, of the guys drafted in the past 3 years, Mayfield may come close.  Hopefully J Allen will come on strong.  He looked wild (in a good way) at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Even Mahomes struggled until late with Bill Bellichick defense. Happens to everyone. 

Then he went berserk.  He couldn't overcome the idiotic playoff game management tendencies of his HC unfortunately...

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....Jesus, wait 'til Josh makes it to HIS first Big Dance with McDermott and comes up Goff/McVay like against The Master......TBD meltdown time.........

Josh looked just as lost against the Pats in Week 16

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

He didn’t see Van Noy until impact

Keeping in the huddle until 10  to go means your young QB can’t read or react to the D

elites get to the line with 20 to go and read and change the play 

Meh. A saints struggle all season was getting out too late. I’d say drew and Sean are as elite a pair as npretty much anyone. No one way to do it, but just like anything it can be a pro or con in your matchup. 

You do do have to be aware at the line though.

Edited by NoSaint

31 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

No I thought he sucked and he pretty much did. I think Josh Allen would have done a way better job. Imagine having that supporting cast in Buffalo.

Right? Or last year when they had Sammy and bob woods! Can you imagine?!?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I hope Dorsey, Andetson and Barkley stress to Allen the importance of learning how to read defenses and check off plays yourself. I think Goff uses the 15 second comm from McV as a crutch. The bottom line is Goff was awful, Gurley and Kupp hurt sealed the Rams fate....

Allen is a very smart QB.  He is still inexperienced, of course, but made great strides in reading defenses during the season.  I think year two will show a big improvement, but I think he'll continue to work and improve the mental aspect of his game for several years. a major part of that will be reading defenses.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

To be fair, I saw Goff throw a perfect touchdown pass to tie the game with 4:00 left in the 4th quarter.

Until Brandin Cooks dropped it.

Goff and the Rams were able to make some adjustments late.  You're right about the drop, but had Goff been able to get a better grasp earlier, there might have been a few more chances for big plays.

13 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

That and the pick by Gilmore sealed his fate. This game was his to lose and he lost it. 

That was such a bad pick too. I think he got excited that he almost hit Cooks for a TD on the previous play and he wanted to go right back to it but the Pats sent a ton of pressure on the next play and instead of living to fight another down he tossed up a gimme to Gilmore. Kid just looked off all night. I think we can count on one hand how many money throws he made.

17 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Despite McVay taking the blame for being out-coached, he actually provided Goff with some answers against the Patriots but Goff was never able to capitalize. One of the interesting things the Rams do offensively is they don't really huddle much. They stand a few yards off the line, Goff gets the play and gets everyone set as quickly as possible and that affords McVay a few seconds to still be in Goff's ear and tell him how to adjust based on how the defense is lining up. There's a cut-off for helmet communications (I think it cuts off with 10 or 15 seconds left on the play clock) but even when the cut off happens, they usually still have time for Goff to look at the sideline and get hand signals. This shows that Goff really struggles to read defenses pre-snap. 

This article right here breaks down a number of plays in which Goff had open receivers but either didn't see them or did and just decided to go elsewhere with the ball. The throw to Cooks in the back of the end zone that got broken up needed to be thrown much earlier as Cooks was wide open almost right off the line. Goff even had a better option on the INT he threw to Gilmore.

They even break down one play in which Robert Woods recognizes a blitz is coming. He calls it out and points right at the blitzer and signals to Goff that he's going to run the hot route. Goff never saw it coming despite Woods helping him out and was sacked on the play. And it wasn't even some kind of exotic blitz from NE, it was a blitz they had ran three or four times against KC. That's on film. How did Goff see that in film study and then not put things together when he saw them lining up the exact same way?

It just makes you wonder how good Goff really is or is it McVay's scheme that really makes things extremely easy for him. He's almost running a college-style offense at times, especially with getting everyone on the line quickly so McVay can asses the defense and tell Goff to adjust or not. That was a huge knock on Goff coming out of college, he never made pre-snap adjustments on his own, everything was called from the sideline and he just had to relay the message. 

Just thought it was an interesting article to share and an interesting look at how things went down. 

I think McVay did a huge disservice to himself and the team.  The Rams were best going uptempo and keeping teams off balanced.  Getting to the line seeing what a defense was going to do and then adjusting before the headset shuts off.  Then like a college team using hand signals to help get everything set.

In the Super Bowl - McVay to try and thwart BB kept the Rams in the huddle until the head set would shut off to prevent BB from adjusting, but that limited the adjustments he could make and Goff could not do it himself.  That team is all about what McVay can see and he purposefully took himself out to try and limit BB and it cost the Rams.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

True.  I think, of the guys drafted in the past 3 years, Mayfield may come close.  Hopefully J Allen will come on strong.  He looked wild (in a good way) at the end of the season.

Call me a homer but based upon Allen being a "late bloomer" and only finally getting good coaching I think he has the highest ceiling of them all.  And he has the attitude and work ethic to go along with that stupendous physical talent.