Goff was actually worse than you think...

blacklabel

Despite McVay taking the blame for being out-coached, he actually provided Goff with some answers against the Patriots but Goff was never able to capitalize. One of the interesting things the Rams do offensively is they don't really huddle much. They stand a few yards off the line, Goff gets the play and gets everyone set as quickly as possible and that affords McVay a few seconds to still be in Goff's ear and tell him how to adjust based on how the defense is lining up. There's a cut-off for helmet communications (I think it cuts off with 10 or 15 seconds left on the play clock) but even when the cut off happens, they usually still have time for Goff to look at the sideline and get hand signals. This shows that Goff really struggles to read defenses pre-snap. 

This article right here breaks down a number of plays in which Goff had open receivers but either didn't see them or did and just decided to go elsewhere with the ball. The throw to Cooks in the back of the end zone that got broken up needed to be thrown much earlier as Cooks was wide open almost right off the line. Goff even had a better option on the INT he threw to Gilmore.

They even break down one play in which Robert Woods recognizes a blitz is coming. He calls it out and points right at the blitzer and signals to Goff that he's going to run the hot route. Goff never saw it coming despite Woods helping him out and was sacked on the play. And it wasn't even some kind of exotic blitz from NE, it was a blitz they had ran three or four times against KC. That's on film. How did Goff see that in film study and then not put things together when he saw them lining up the exact same way?

It just makes you wonder how good Goff really is or is it McVay's scheme that really makes things extremely easy for him. He's almost running a college-style offense at times, especially with getting everyone on the line quickly so McVay can asses the defense and tell Goff to adjust or not. That was a huge knock on Goff coming out of college, he never made pre-snap adjustments on his own, everything was called from the sideline and he just had to relay the message. 

Just thought it was an interesting article to share and an interesting look at how things went down. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think its a combination of McVays scheme with Goff certainly improving over time to flourish in it but I think yesterday it came down to in-experience by Goff.

I saw that the Pats had played more snaps in man-to-man than any team in the regular season but yesterday played virtually no man to man. I just think Goff doesnt have the game experience to erase a two-week long game plan to beat man-to-man and all of the sudden execute a zone beating scheme even. I think over time you can learn to do that better than he did bit thats a tough wrinkle to throw at a young QB in his first Superbowl. Well played by the Pats

4 minutes ago, jletha said:

I think its a combination of McVays scheme with Goff certainly improving over time to flourish in it but I think yesterday it came down to in-experience by Goff.

I saw that the Pats had played more snaps in man-to-man than any team in the regular season but yesterday played virtually no man to man. I just think Goff doesnt have the game experience to erase a two-week long game plan to beat man-to-man and all of the sudden execute a zone beating scheme even. I think over time you can learn to do that better than he did bit thats a tough wrinkle to throw at a young QB in his first Superbowl. Well played by the Pats

B B is the best at getting young QBs discombobulated.

and that is saying it nicely

Goff was flummoxed !

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

I think Romo mentioned this a couple times during the broadcast.  He said they changed up going to the line of scrimmage and started huddling to not allow Belichick to communicate with his defense.  

Didn't work but that was supposedly the reasoning.  

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Goff was terrible but the Rams OL was atrociously bad. 

One of the biggest problems that I saw with the Rams was their insistence on running their stretch cut back play up the middle.  It broke for one 16 yard run.  The rest of the time it was shutdown.  Anderson had some decent runs on straight dives and counters but they wouldn't stick to it.  No doubt Goff was terrible but McVay's play calling was worse.  He was naive to believe that he could just rely on his normal regular season schemes.  BB was prepared for all of it and shut it down.

I have not seen anything from Goff that makes me believe that he will ever be a dominating QB in the league.  I think he is a very similar player to Sam Bradford and we all know how that has worked out.  Better them than us.........GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, jletha said:

Yup.  Sith Lord Belichick struck again.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The scheme was atrocious, the playcalling was atrocious and the adjustments were atrocious. 

Goff missed some throws. He didn't play well. But Sean McVay was worse than you think. A lot, lot worse. I watched the whole game back today. I still put this almost entirely on McVay. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Goes to show how Mahomes is light years ahead of the QBs drafted the past 3 years as far as pure talent goes.  The contrast is stark.

He was awesome, now for the sophomore year in quality time and every opponent writing the book on him

Edited by row_33