post game interview madness

You guys probably saw the ridiculous scrum on the field after the game.  Looked dangerous and completely unnecessary.

Once again I have to offer my logic in the absence of a real commissioner, so here goes:

No reporters or ANYONE not on a team allowed on the playing field after the game.  It will be for players and coaches only.   The camera's can still record all the action from the stands as usual, and let these poor athletes get a little while to enjoy themselves and celebrate with their teammates, shake hands with the other team, say a prayer at midfield, whatever.  Keep the stupid reporters out of the way and safe, they'll get their time, it's just not immediately after the last second ticks off the clock.

There is plenty of time to interview these guys after the melee is over, stay the hell out of the way.   It's a dumb a tradition is almost as bad that stupid idea some GM came up with that they will call the college player they're drafting right exactly as they're making the pick so he has to be on the phone during the best minute of his life instead of celebrating with his family.   Ridiculous.

Brady handled it well, but it sucked for everyone and was hard to watch.   Then this little 4 foot 10inch lady finally gets a second to ask her question, and instead of sticking the mic in his face and saying "Hows it feel Tom?" and then shutting her mouth, she launches into this 40 second question about some crap and history and being vindicated.  He ignored it because it was stupid and he probably couldn't here it anyway, and went on with the exact thing he would have said if he just handed him the mic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brady handled it well, but it sucked for everyone and was hard to watch.   Then this little 4 foot 10inch lady finally gets a second to ask her question, and instead of sticking the mic in his face and saying "Hows it feel Tom?" and then shutting her mouth, she launches into this 40 second question about some crap and history and being vindicated.  He ignored it because it was stupid and he probably couldn't here it anyway, and went on with the exact thing he would have said if he just handed him the mic.

To make matters worse, she screamed the entire time,

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everything about it was bad. Another ‘win’ for the commissioner (sarcasm). Why CBS had their smallest reporter out there I have no idea...and I agree that the question was beyond amateur. I was waiting for Brady to say he was going to Disneyland!

Pretty sure he (and the NFL) had nothing to do with who was put out on the field for interviews.  This is how it goes every year after this game.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Pretty sure he (and the NFL) had nothing to do with who was put out on the field for interviews.  This is how it goes every year after this game.

The commissioners office has control over everything in these events. Who do you think puts the entire event together? The Homecoming Dance committee?

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

The commissioners office has control over everything in these events. Who do you think puts the entire event together? The Homecoming Dance committee?

The networks.  They are paying for it.  

Nothing was different on the field this time as far as access for the press was concerned.  Exactly what part of the scene that you describe was directly the result of decisions made by Roger Goodell for this game in particular.  Be specific.

My daughter and I were theo only ones awake at that point. Why!? Is it really nessassary to be the first person there to get the answer to how do you feel about this win? My daughter said, "shouldnt they give them a second to allow congratulations by the other players"? I think they do it is rude and doesn't allow the oppertunity for the players to be good  showers of sportmanship

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

You guys probably saw the ridiculous scrum on the field after the game.  Looked dangerous and completely unnecessary.

Agree with you.  It was ridiculous that players couldn't enjoy the victory before being decended upon by the horde of locusts media.     

With so much 'media' today, it's devolved from mosh pit to mob to dangerous situation.    The only media allowed on the field in that situation should be the network broadcast personnel.   Everyone else should have to wait until the players step off the field.

Edited by Lurker

Maybe I'm old but one of the reasons I enjoy football is that after 60 mins of beating the crap out of each other at the end of the game these guys shake hands and display true sportsmanship.  Last night made a mockery of this fine tradition and having 100 paparazzi style Aholes on the field made it hard for the players to find each other at all.  It was a joke!

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Once again I have to offer my logic in the absence of a real commissioner, so here goes:

No reporters or ANYONE not on a team allowed on the playing field after the game.  It will be for players and coaches only.   The camera's can still record all the action from the stands as usual, and let these poor athletes get a little while to enjoy themselves and celebrate with their teammates, shake hands with the other team, say a prayer at midfield, whatever.  Keep the stupid reporters out of the way and safe, they'll get their time, it's just not immediately after the last second ticks off the clock.

There is plenty of time to interview these guys after the melee is over, stay the hell out of the way.   It's a dumb a tradition is almost as bad that stupid idea some GM came up with that they will call the college player they're drafting right exactly as they're making the pick so he has to be on the phone during the best minute of his life instead of celebrating with his family.   Ridiculous.

You watched the “ after affair”

Turned it Off.

Screw Brady !!!!

Screw the PATRIOTS!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The networks.  They are paying for it.  

Nothing was different on the field this time as far as access for the press was concerned.  Exactly what part of the scene that you describe was directly the result of decisions made by Roger Goodell for this game in particular.  Be specific.

The networks do call a lot of the shots.  Certainly they work with the Commissioner's office but they, as those who cough up the dough, have significant say.

Totally agree. Like most other sporting events, they should only allow one reporter and camera, from the network covering the game, on the field immediately after the game. It was so bad that for the first time in my life I actually had a smidgen of sympathy for Tom Brady. Let the guys celebrate with their teammates, let the opposing team's players congratulate him (because those players want to get off that field fast). Those photographers have phenomenal zoom lenses, just look at some of the amazing photos taken in game. They do not need to be two inches in front of Brady's face. If they all stood back, they could all get some nice shots. In that scrum, how many good pictures could they actually get? Half of them probably don't even have Brady in the frame. And wouldn't your readers rather have a nice shot of the players hugging and celebrating with each other, rather than probably an annoyed looking Brady surrounded by a bunch of other photographers? It makes no sense.

And if you have a mic, what are you going to get but some cliché answer to how he feels that everyone hears anyway because it is being broadcast on CBS. There is no scoop there. You'll get better quotes from him when you are actually able to ask specific questions and he is in a more reflective mood, post the locker room celebration. I cannot think of any reason or benefit for that type of media scrum. 

Edited by folz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

the whole thing was badly managed to the point of being unsafe

I had the same thought; crap like this will continue until something happens.  Someone will get knocked over and hurt or a fight will break out with the pushing and shoving, and then the rule will change to something more sensible.

I stuck around just long enough to see the melee and thought it was entertaining so I continued to watch until things calmed down. Turned channel at that point.