Brandon Beane letter to Season Ticket Holders

YoloinOhio

On 2/4/2019 at 4:14 PM, Buddy Hix said:

Why only address the season ticket holders? Why not send this letter to all fans?

I mean the letter is pretty pointless and nondescript but for a franchise as bad as the Bills you’d think they would reach out to their entire fan base.

Buddy -

In the first place, how are the Bills going to have a mailing list for the entire fan base?  The only addresses they have, residence, business or email, are only for the season ticket holders and a few other people who bought tickets or wrote them a letter. 

In the second place, the Bills, like any business, are going to try to treat their customers specially.   You want special treatment, be a season ticket holder.  

In the third place, there's nothing in this letter that hasn't been said before or that isn't completely obvious.  If you send me your address, I'll pull my copy of Beane's letter out of the trash and mail it to you.  

Having said that, I do want to thank you for having provided an excellent example of the 21st Century American it's-all-about-me attitude.   

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

They're 4, 5, and 7...and you mean the rounds we got Taron Johnson and Matt Milano in the last few years? The 5th round where we got our best player for the last decade?

Exactly.  Or the picks you throw in to move up to get an Edmunds.   

To your point, people lose track of the numbers.   53 players on the roster, average player career is five years.   That means every year you have to add 10 players to your roster.   Include practice squad and guys you pick up during the season, it means you need a dozen or more players every season.   Even if you hit on 100% of your picks, most of your players would be coming from later round picks and undrafted free agents.  

To be successful in the draft and undrafted free agency, you need to (1) not miss on picks in the first three rounds and (2) find some good players in the later rounds.   Having extra picks in the later rounds increases your chances of getting guys who contribute to your team.   

On 2/4/2019 at 4:14 PM, Buddy Hix said:

Why only address the season ticket holders? Why not send this letter to all fans?

I mean the letter is pretty pointless and nondescript but for a franchise as bad as the Bills you’d think they would reach out to their entire fan base.

Well, first of all, they did.  Anything Beane said in that letter has been on the Bills website and in transcripts of his interviews.

Second, let me know when you figure out how to download that database of "all Bills fans."

46 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Buddy -

In the first place, how are the Bills going to have a mailing list for the entire fan base?  The only addresses they have, residence, business or email, are only for the season ticket holders and a few other people who bought tickets or wrote them a letter. 

In the second place, the Bills, like any business, are going to try to treat their customers specially.   You want special treatment, be a season ticket holder.  

In the third place, there's nothing in this letter that hasn't been said before or that isn't completely obvious.  If you send me your address, I'll pull my copy of Beane's letter out of the trash and mail it to you.  

Having said that, I do want to thank you for having provided an excellent example of the 21st Century American it's-all-about-me attitude.   

It’s a “me first” attitude to want the team to address the fan base collectively when it comes to the direction of the franchise? And simply questioning that marketing decision makes me selfish?

It was just an observation but thanks for the snark and useful insight.

And I get the logistics of literally sending out emails or letters, it was meant figuratively.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Well, first of all, they did.  Anything Beane said in that letter has been on the Bills website and in transcripts of his interviews.

Second, let me know when you figure out how to download that database of "all Bills fans."

To your first point, I asked why the letter wasn’t addressed to all Bills’ fans. I didn’t state that the information was groundbreaking, I actually stated the opposite.

Secondly, I meant to send the message figuratively. I’ll be sure to be more clear next time. It seems a few people misunderstood something I thought would be obvious.

31 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

And I get the logistics of literally sending out emails or letters, it was meant figuratively.

Huh?  How could Beane have sent the letter to you figuratively?  You asked "Why not send this letter to all fans?"  How were we supposed to read that question other than literally?

You asked a literal question.  Several people, including me, responded to your literal question, pointing how stupid it your question was.   Then you get all upset and defensive and tells us you didn't mean it literally.   Please tell us what you DID mean, because we all seem to have missed the point.  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Huh?  How could Beane have sent the letter to you figuratively?  You asked "Why not send this letter to all fans?"  How were we supposed to read that question other than literally?

You asked a literal question.  Several people, including me, responded to your literal question, pointing how stupid it your question was.   Then you get all upset and defensive and tells us you didn't mean it literally.   Please tell us what you DID mean, because we all seem to have missed the point.  

figuratively doesn't really make sense either since the only thing that could mean is why didn't they send it to more fans which what other larger list of fan addresses do they have?

5 hours ago, thurst44 said:

They're 4, 5, and 7...and you mean the rounds we got Taron Johnson and Matt Milano in the last few years? The 5th round where we got our best player for the last decade?

The number of players from rounds 4-7 who have decent NFL careers, as in, 5 or more seasons starting or as significant contributors is not very high.  In Buffalo, from 2001-2015 there isn't much aside from Terrence McGee, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, and Nigel Bradham out of 85 picks.  Some of that I put on the personnel people, but it's also reality in the NFL.   

Those picks are nice on paper but finding starting material is unlikely.

34 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The number of players from rounds 4-7 who have decent NFL careers, as in, 5 or more seasons starting or as significant contributors is not very high.  In Buffalo, from 2001-2015 there isn't much aside from Terrence McGee, Kyle Williams, Stevie Johnson, and Nigel Bradham out of 85 picks.  Some of that I put on the personnel people, but it's also reality in the NFL.   

Those picks are nice on paper but finding starting material is unlikely.

I don't think this is correct.  I'd guess that half the starters in the NFL came from outside the top 3 picks.   

84 of the guys drafted in the top 3 rounds five years ago are still in the league.  77 of the guys drafted the year before that.  Only 13 of the guys drafted ten years ago are still in the league.   So that suggests that in the last 10 years of drafts, something like 600 of the guys drafted in the first three rounds are still in the league.   More than 100 of them aren't starters, maybe as many as 200, because a lot of the high-round draftees don't start in their rookie seasons.   So that means that only 400-500 of the guys drafted in the first three rounds are starting, and there are 700 starting jobs in the NFL.   That means 200-300 starters come from outside the first three rounds.

On top of that, everyone platoons, and there are injuries, so you need more than just your 22 starters, and most of those guys behind your starting 22 come from outside the first three rounds.   Those people are very important to your team.  

It isn't so much about "decent NFL careers."  It's about having the talent on your team to win, and that talent runs through all 60-70 players on your team and practice squad.   Finding a guy like Robey-Coleman in May is very important to how your team plays in the fall.  

On 2/4/2019 at 10:29 PM, purple haze said:

Taron Johnson - Rd. 4

Matt Milano - Rd. 5

Wyatt Teller - Rd. 5

Robert Foster - UDFA

Levi Wallace - UDFA

Players with potential can be found anywhere if the right scouts are in-house and the right person is picking them, and the right coaches are developing them.

....good call........McBeane assembled his "Gang of 17 (+ or -)" made up of several NFL execs who were VP's of Player Personnel or Pro Player Directors ALL on Pegula's nickel...I'd bet that payroll including McBeane is $5 mil+.......and I'd say they did one helluva job...only one not on the roster from later picks is Proehl.....Meatball with a 5th as was Milano.....there IS value later....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think this is correct.  I'd guess that half the starters in the NFL came from outside the top 3 picks.   

84 of the guys drafted in the top 3 rounds five years ago are still in the league.  77 of the guys drafted the year before that.  Only 13 of the guys drafted ten years ago are still in the league.   So that suggests that in the last 10 years of drafts, something like 600 of the guys drafted in the first three rounds are still in the league.   More than 100 of them aren't starters, maybe as many as 200, because a lot of the high-round draftees don't start in their rookie seasons.   So that means that only 400-500 of the guys drafted in the first three rounds are starting, and there are 700 starting jobs in the NFL.   That means 200-300 starters come from outside the first three rounds.

On top of that, everyone platoons, and there are injuries, so you need more than just your 22 starters, and most of those guys behind your starting 22 come from outside the first three rounds.   Those people are very important to your team.  

It isn't so much about "decent NFL careers."  It's about having the talent on your team to win, and that talent runs through all 60-70 players on your team and practice squad.   Finding a guy like Robey-Coleman in May is very important to how your team plays in the fall.  

This a heavy dose of sophistry here and...you've completely missed the point.  I'm talking specifically about rounds 4-7 and how many are starting NFL players.

The Bills have a handful (that's less than 5) from 2001-2015 with a few who went to other teams.  And that's out of about 85 picks over those years. 

I love when people talk about rookies or second year players being good after such a short time in the league.  Reminds me of the 2006 Marv/DJ draft people were giddy about.  By 2011, only Kyle Williams remained on the team. 

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

This a heavy dose of sophistry here and...you've completely missed the point.  I'm talking specifically about rounds 4-7 and how many are starting NFL players.

The Bills have a handful (that's less than 5) from 2001-2015 with a few who went to other teams.  And that's out of about 85 picks over those years. 

I love when people talk about rookies or second year players being good after such a short time in the league.  Reminds me of the 2006 Marv/DJ draft people were giddy about.  By 2011, only Kyle Williams remained on the team. 

5 between 2001 to 2015,  yet 3 in the last two years are contributing...

Maybe times have changed..

Things don't necessarily have to remain the same..