Super Bowl Ratings Hit 10-Year Low

6 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

BS.  I'm a die hard football fan since 1963 and I didn't watch a second of the game. Didn't find out the outcome till the next day. The Rams didn't belong there and I hate the Pats. Why waste a good Sunday.

Thanks for making sure people know you chose to not watch the gsme

nobody ***** carea

L.A. market had lower TV rating for Super Bowl than country as a whole

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2019, 5:17 AM EST

Los Angeles isn’t getting behind the Rams the way cities usually get behind winning football teams.

In fact, the L.A. market actually had a lower television rating for the Super Bowl than the country as a whole. According to Austin Karp of Sports Business Journal, the Los Angeles market had a 44.6 overnight rating, which is actually lower than the 44.9 overnight rating for the country as a whole.

It’s just about unheard of, not only for the Super Bowl but for any sporting event, for the market of one of the two teams in the game to get a lower rating than the country as a whole. (For comparison, Boston had a 57.4 overnight rating.)

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think it's more "Rams! Rams!" than "Defense! Defense!" The Rams-Cowboys game in LA was for all intents and purposes a Cowboys home game, and the ratings for the Pats-KC game blew away the Rams-NO game. If the Saints had been in the SB, the ratings would have been a lot higher. It's hilarious to me that the league thinks that a team in LA improves their ratings. It very clearly doesn't as of yet because people in LA largely don't care about the Rams - at least not enough to regularly watch them. Just wait until the Chargers make the SB - then you'll see the lowest ratings of all time!!

In the 80s and 90s, long before they moved to St.Louis, the Rams used to regularly place third in the local ratings in the Sunday afternoon time slot. They would literally trail the Sunday matinee movie and reruns of ‘Gilligan’s Island.” This was anathema to the local affiliates and advertisers. A team in LA doesn’t move the TV ratings needle at all. 

But that market is a goldmine for ownership with all the local corporate and other dollars available for suite sales and sponsorships. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It was the first SB in 17 years that I didn't watch. It was due to the Patriots, and I know other people felt the same way. 

Sorry, this is so goofy. It is a football game, and you hate the pats so much you don't watch?? Some football fan-- guess your really just a Bills fan, not a football fan as much.

34 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Sorry, this is so goofy. It is a football game, and you hate the pats so much you don't watch?? Some football fan-- guess your really just a Bills fan, not a football fan as much.

Is this Judge Judy on here???

Hate to burst your bubble but I did say that I've watched the last 16 years of Super Bowls -  none of which featured the Bills.

Here's my problem, I am tired of certain teams getting bogus calls at critical points of the game. Example the roughing the passer call that Brady got against the Chiefs. I'm a fan of football when the rules are applied evenly.

• Like (+1) 1

Do the rating numbers just take into account total viewership, or can it be affected by people turning the game off somewhere in the middle?

If viewership started high and then there was a large drop-off in the second half, then I think we could probably assume the low score played a significant role. 

But if the Super Bowl had low ratings from the very beginning, then the cause would have to be something else.  Did people not like the matchup?  Are they tired of seeing the Patriots?  What about the non-football fans?  Was there less interest in the halftime show, or the commercials?

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Is this Judge Judy on here???

Hate to burst your bubble but I did say that I've watched the last 16 years of Super Bowls -  none of which featured the Bills.

Here's my problem, I am tired of certain teams getting bogus calls at critical points of the game. Example the roughing the passer call that Brady got against the Chiefs. I'm a fan of football when the rules are applied evenly.

that was pitiful   

gave them a first down and possibly the game 

• Like (+1) 1

Chiefs will beat NE twice next season and win it all... AFC is still going to be a one trick pony, just the pony will change. It could be KC and Cleveland being the new NE/ Indy where Mahomes outduels Mayfield a bunch of times.

Meanwhile, the Bills will be the 2000's Ravens, with a tough mean team that will get there once or twice and win it all 1-2 times in between KC and Cleveland trips.

Edited by TheFunPolice

13 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I think the ratings may actually go down next season as a result of the Pats winning again

IMO if you put any other team in there and the ratings would not have sucked.  

KC and NO would have gotten them over a 5% increase IMO.  

NO boycotted, St Louis boycotted, KC fans may have felt robbed on the fictional RTP that gave Tainted Tom 15 yards and the opportunity they needed to score, and like myself many Bills fans had minimal interest. and the LA market didn't give a crap. 

On 2/4/2019 at 10:11 PM, Green Lightning said:

BS.  I'm a die hard football fan since 1963 and I didn't watch a second of the game. Didn't find out the outcome till the next day. The Rams didn't belong there and I hate the Pats. Why waste a good Sunday.

I did the same.  Didn't miss it at all.