Super Bowl Ratings Hit 10-Year Low

12 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

No surprise here!  As exciting as re-runs.  Add the tree huger commercials, and?:doh:

high percentage of sucky baby football fans is understandable

couldn't they watch until they fantasize the first holding call missed by the refs and then declare their disgust and turn it off?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

high percentage of sucky baby football fans is understandable

couldn't they watch until they fantasize the first holding call missed by the refs and then declare their disgust and turn it off?

Not all of us are patriot fans like you are 33.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It was the first SB in 17 years that I didn't watch. It was due to the Patriots, and I know other people felt the same way. 

It was the first SB I didn't watch at all and until yesterday I had watched every one. I couldn't care less about the Rams, but it was NE that I cannot stomach any more.

43 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No offense, but that's a sample size of less than ten. See above about the ratings in LA. That's what is driving this. New Orleans only had a 26.1 rating, which is abysmal for a football-crazy city. I of course understand why they had low ratings there ...

Brady vs. Brees would have resulted in sky-high ratings. 

Not sure how much any of you were following the “Boycott Bowl” Festivities but...

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

LOL.   One of life's truisms:   People who say "...I didn't watch it so nobody else must have either?"   

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article225503050.html

Buffalo, BTW, ranked second in the country--trailing only Boston (scroll down to bottom of the article)...

The Bills are the third most important reason the Pats have had this 16 year run , after HC and QB.   Of course we are interested. 

44 minutes ago, teef said:

Most people I know who claimed not to watch this year, did so specifically because they were sick of watching the pats. Not that accounts for the majority,  definitely part of it was due to the pats.  

I even live in Atlanta and didn't check out any of the week's activities. No desire to wade into the sea of #12 and #87 jerseys. 

Can't wait to see how many of their die hard fans bail after Belichick's retirement.

Like the Packers before them, the Patriots prove one thing about cold weather cities: long term success is predicated on exceptional coaching and player selection.  No matter what you may lose to free agency because you're a cold weather city, and even if you have little to offer such as Green Bay, what you bring in and how you coach it up is what matters most.  The Pats continually pick late in the draft, yet they come up with guys like Michel, who become major contributors early on.  It's a lesson for any city considered somewhat unattractive, lest we forget the Levy/Kelly years.

51 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No offense, but that's a sample size of less than ten. See above about the ratings in LA. That's what is driving this. New Orleans only had a 26.1 rating, which is abysmal for a football-crazy city. I of course understand why they had low ratings there ...

Brady vs. Brees would have resulted in sky-high ratings. 

I agree the ratings would have been higher but I still believe that there's a lot more people than you think who couldn't be arsed watching Brady in the Superbowl.

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/super-bowl-ratings-patriots-rams-marron-5-worlds-best-cbs-1202548893/

Defense!  Defense!

????

To put that in the starkest light of day, that’s a dip of more than 5% from Super Bowl LII February 4, 2018

Defense!  Defense!  may have hit the rating #'s in the later time slots. With the expectations of a 33 to 30 type game people would have kept watching.  With a 0 - 0 score at the half, then people would turn the channel. 

Los Angeles is supposed to be THE biggest TV market.  So what happened? 

I'd venture to say that the ratings were bad because  America is sick and tired of watching Tainted Tom Brady and Bill Belicheat all the time

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 5

?‍♂️ I watched the first half, turned to something else through the halftime show, and watched the second half until the 4th quarter pick. It was pretty enjoyable football to watch while it was still in reach for both teams. I cant say any of the commercials were memorable, and I had absolutely 0 interest in the halftime show.

• Like (+1) 1

First super bowl I did not watch in over 20 years. Basically since I was in middle school. It was awesome grocery shopping in such a quiet store. Just watched Netflix when I got home. The Patriots could have lost 50-0 and I still would have been happy I didn't watch it. So sick of the Patriots, and don't want them in the Super Bowl win or lose.

Edited by wagon127
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The only hope we really have for fellow Buffalo Fans to snap them out of this Defense Matters Crutch...is for Josh Allen to light it up in 2019.  Only when Buffalo has an offense for the first time in the 21st Century...hopefully the old guard of defense defense defense will fade away and we can start enjoying football in the 21st Century.

did you watch the game yesterday?

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

LOL.   One of life's truisms:   People who say "...I didn't watch it so nobody else must have either?"   

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article225503050.html

Buffalo, BTW, ranked second in the country--trailing only Boston (scroll down to bottom of the article)...

Isn't this traditionally the way it goes?  Buffalo is top 5 every year?