Super Bowl Ratings Hit 10-Year Low

Just now, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I think it's more "Rams! Rams!" than "Defense! Defense!" The Rams-Cowboys game in LA was for all intents and purposes a Cowboys home game, and the ratings for the Pats-KC game blew away the Rams-NO game. If the Saints had been in the SB, the ratings would have been a lot higher. It's hilarious to me that the league thinks that a team in LA improves their ratings. It very clearly doesn't as of yet because people in LA largely don't care about the Rams - at least not enough to regularly watch them. Just wait until the Chargers make the SB - then you'll see the lowest ratings of all time!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Just wait until the Chargers make the SB - then you'll see the lowest ratings of all time!!

Mercifully, I'll die before THAT happens. Much as I love Rivers, he's a choker.

Also, I'm SHOCKED that the OP posted this thread. SHOCKED, I say.

• Sad 1

People are tired of the same old Patriots script. You had to know after the neutral zone call to save them in the AFC Championship game that the NFL wasn’t going to let them lose the Super Bowl. I didn’t bother to watch as I’m sure millions of others felt the same way.

Edited by Troll Toll
  • Like (+1) 3

The only hope we really have for fellow Buffalo Fans to snap them out of this Defense Matters Crutch...is for Josh Allen to light it up in 2019.  Only when Buffalo has an offense for the first time in the 21st Century...hopefully the old guard of defense defense defense will fade away and we can start enjoying football in the 21st Century.

Ironically LA as a football city might be the smallest ‘market’ in The league- Lots of people but most of them don’t care. 

Patriots must be the most reviled team in the game. 

Game it’s self was boring and slow with few big name stars and not much in the big play dept. 

The ratings miss isn’t a surprise.  First Super Bowl I stopped watching in a very very long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

People are tired of the same old Patriots script. You had to know after the neutral zone call to save them in the AFC Championship game that the NFL wasn’t going to let them lose the Super Bowl. I didn’t bother to watch as I’m sure millions of others felt the same way.

It has little to do with the presence of the Patriots. They've been in a ton of highly rated SBs, including last year's. It's the presence of the Rams that's the problem. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ironically LA as a football city might be the smallest ‘market’ in The league- Lots of people but most of them don’t care. 

Patriots must be the most reviled team in the game. 

Game it’s self was boring and slow with few big name stars and not much in the big play dept. 

The ratings miss isn’t a surprise.  First Super Bowl I stopped watching in a very very long time. 

LA *only* got a 44.6 rating, which was LOWER the national average. That's terrible because LA had a team in the freaking game! https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/04/super-bowl-53-patriots-rams-low-ratings The SBs in which the Pats' faced off against Seattle and Philly were extremely high.  Again, LA is the problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It has little to do with the presence of the Patriots. They've been in a ton of highly rated SBs, including last year's. It's the presence of the Rams that's the problem. 

wouldn't have cared that much if the Pats weren't in it

i wasn't going to watch the Saints or Rams just because

7 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

The only hope we really have for fellow Buffalo Fans to snap them out of this Defense Matters Crutch...is for Josh Allen to light it up in 2019.  Only when Buffalo has an offense for the first time in the 21st Century...hopefully the old guard of defense defense defense will fade away and we can start enjoying football in the 21st Century.

I love watching great defensive play.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

It was the first SB in 17 years that I didn't watch. It was due to the Patriots, and I know other people felt the same way. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It was the first SB in 17 years that I didn't watch. It was due to the Patriots, and I know other people felt the same way. 

No offense, but that's a sample size of less than ten. See above about the ratings in LA. That's what is driving this. New Orleans only had a 26.1 rating, which is abysmal for a football-crazy city. I of course understand why they had low ratings there ...

Brady vs. Brees would have resulted in sky-high ratings. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Most people I know who claimed not to watch this year, did so specifically because they were sick of watching the pats. Not that accounts for the majority,  definitely part of it was due to the pats. 

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, teef said:

Most people I know who claimed not to watch this year, did so specifically because they were sick of watching the pats. Not that accounts for the majority,  definitely part of it was due to the pats. 

football fans don't boycott the Super Bowl....

[or they don't realize they are acting like they don't care about the trophy girlfriend that just dumped them, so they are drinking to black out the last 21 nights, but they are over her totally]

nobody watches the Stanley Cup or World Series unless the Yankees or their team is playing....

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

football fans don't boycott the Super Bowl....

[or they don't realize they are acting like they don't care about the trophy girlfriend that just dumped them, so they are drinking to black out the last 21 nights, but they are over her totally]

nobody watches the Stanley Cup or World Series unless the Yankees or their team is playing....

I certainly was more “meh” this year because the pats were playing, but it would never stop me from watching.  I didn’t however, watch the ceremonies after. I have no desire to see that again.  Last year I watched almost all of it when the eagles won. 

• Like (+1) 1

the Pats in the SB is not garbage

the Bills bumbling and fumbling and stumbling for 20 years and counting, now that is garbage

9 minutes ago, teef said:

I certainly was more “meh” this year because the pats were playing, but it would never stop me from watching.  I didn’t however, watch the ceremonies after. I have no desire to see that again.  Last year I watched almost all of it when the eagles won. 

i dig

hopefully the AFC mans up and some team tries to beat them when it matters in the 2019 season....

• Like (+1) 3