Does Brady finally hang it up now?

blacklabel

14 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

He said a few days ago there was 0% chance he would retire after the Super Bowl no matter the outcome.  He is playing 2-3 more seasons imo.  It all depends on when he hits the wall.  It is going to happen one of these years. 

See, I think he's hit somewhat of a wall this season. They switched up their offense to a power run game throughout the last half of the season. Despite the fact that Brady can still throw it 50 times a game for 350 yards, it appeared as if they don't want to ask him to do that on the regular. Just in watching him this year I've seen a bit more indecisiveness, a little more skittish with pressure coming in and throwing some really inaccurate passes. I mean, he turns it on at times, the AFC Championship game is a testament to that. But the days of him consistently throwing it 40+ times a game seem to be well behind him at this point. 

He also holds himself to a super high standard. I'd be willing to bet that he failed to reach that standard more times this season than perhaps his entire career. He definitely was not happy with how he played last night, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

One of these years, whether it's next year or the year after, his play is going to decline to the point where he's gonna get benched. Yes I know they won the superbowl, but he's not what he used to be. They won last night because of Edelman. That's it. He was truly the Patriots only weapon. 

Edelman, Michel and Gronk all made plays plus Burkhead kept a few drives alive. I was surprised James White had no impact.

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

One of these years, whether it's next year or the year after, his play is going to decline to the point where he's gonna get benched. Yes I know they won the superbowl, but he's not what he used to be. They won last night because of Edelman. That's it. He was truly the Patriots only weapon. 

PEDelman.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Success said:

He won’t this year - but he won’t get to 45, imo.

I’m more interested in Scarnecchia.  Brady actually IS declining, and without the protection he is used to, will have a tough time getting through the season.

NE will expend a disproportionate amount of resources on their OL during this offseason.  

Not a chance. 

I don't think Brady has talked about it, but I bet he would like to not only be the winning-est QB of all time but also hold every single major passing record. The only chance he has of achieving that is to play at least one more season than Brees, possibly two.

He has a chance to become the all time leader in passing TDs next year if he can throw three more than Brees next season. Both will move ahead of Peyton for 1 and 2.

But he is about 4,000 yards behind Brees in passing yards. So probably needs to play one more season than Drew who also doesn't seem to be considering retiring anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

How many times does this need to be asked? 

I wonder what year it was we started to seriously ask this question. 2013? 2014? 

16 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

Show Brady the tape of Alex Smith's and Joe Theisman's leg injuries and maybe that will help him make his decision to retire. Get out while your body is in one piece!

Brady gets the ball out faster than Smith, Theisman and almost every other QB playing the game today. That's why he'll continue to play until he can't. He's also uber competitive and despite his aw shucks demeanor will want to pad his HOF, GOAT status. It's fun to win (and, unfortunately, that's what Belichick and Pats organization does).

27 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

this times 1000000000000

the record for most SB Trophies is 6.   I think he wants 7 and then he'll retire 

i have to imagine this is the case too.  why wouldn't he try?  they have a relatively easy time getting the superbowl.

20 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

I get that he doesn’t have anything else to prove, but there are always achievements to be had.

1: Most team SB wins- 6

He could beat the Steelers on his own.

2: Most consecutive SB appearances- 4

He could tie that next season.

3: He already has the record but he could appear in his 10th SB next season.

Really, we could go on and on.  Career passing yardage (though Brees would likely keep him from that).  

The only glimmer of hope is he has been to the SB over 50% of his career.  If he misses next year, he’d have to go the following year, and the year after that I think?

But I believe the ability to go to 4 would be more important than losing the going to the SB >50% stat.  

He wants to beat the Steelers record.  He wants to shut the mouths of anybody that says "but the Steelers............"  I agree with those that say they could lose Gronk and a couple other players and still be a legitimate contender.  It boils down to Brady's physical condition come training camp time.

Edited by RochesterRob

After trudging off to bed last night I half expected to hear some sort of announcement that either Brady or BB would announce their retirement postgame and I would awake this morning with some sort of renewed hope. I hope it happens soon. There is literally nothing left for either to play for. Nobody is even in the same stratosphere as they are. Please just walk away!

• Like (+1) 1

The only way he will retire, is if the Jets, Bills and Dolphins start actually making his regular season difficult. I feel he needs 9 losses in a season to get him to walk away. But since the 3 teams in our division have been mostly incompetent, he just continues to cruise his way to first round bye's in playoffs. Then there is also the question, of whether or not the Patriots will even be bad after he retires.

49 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

OK, first off, yes I'm aware he's said there's "zero" chance of him walking away. I'm also aware that he's said he wants to play into his mid-40's...

However, I picked up on a few interesting things yesterday. During the 347 hours of pre-game stuff, there was an interview with Romo and Brady. Romo asked him if he still plans on playing after this season and Brady said something to the effect of he feels kind of "stuck" to playing in his mid-40s because that's what he's said but in the same breath he alluded to the fact that he's probably going to wait and see. Then, Nantz mentioned that when they spoke to Brady on Saturday night he stated that he's had so much support from family and friends that he can't wait for the day when he has more time to devote to his family and reciprocate all the support they've shown him throughout his career. Finally, during the post-game interview, he kinda stopped himself from saying what seemed like he was gonna go home, spend time with family and see where he was at. He caught himself though, and just said he can't wait to be around his family more.

There was also a persistent rumor from early in the season that people close to him were saying he would likely retire if he won another Super Bowl. Welp, mission accomplished. And for the longest time I really couldn't figure out what else he had left to achieve. He's done it all. I know he's hit a stage in his career where he's being told he can't do it anymore because age is catching up to him and his motivation has always been the "tell me I can't" thing that's kept him going. But in terms of achievements I really thought there was nothing left... then during the game they mentioned how Brady was tied with Charles Haley for the player with the most Super Bowl wins, each with five. Well, now Brady stands alone with six SB victories, the most ever for any player. So maybe that was his final motivation? I'm just spit-ballin' on that one but out of all the things he's done, that was one he didn't have until now. 

So given some of his answers and the way he talked after the post-game, I got the vibe that at the very least, he's going to contemplate retirement and talk it over with family. The Patriots are also set to endure quite a bit of turnover heading into next season as they have 18 pending free agents right now. They have a truckload of picks as well but either way, there'll be some familiar faces ending their time in New England. I've also heard that Kraft is set to hand over day to day operations to his kid in the very near future and from what I've read, neither Brady or Belichick wanna be around for that. Could be all hearsay, who knows. Just some food for thought.

So what's everyone think? Does the GOAT finally ride off into the sunset (on a goat)?

I hope not, I want the Bills to be the ones to knock them off. Give us one more chance.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know what the chances really are of him retiring, but they’re surely higher than zero percent, despite the answer he gave last week. I just don’t think there’s any upside for him to give any other answer in the lead-up to the Super Bowl and create a distraction.

For the first time ever I feel okay the morning after a Patriots win, because I know the end is coming. Go Bills.