Matt Miller 7-round Mock Draft: Bills take OT Jonah Williams

YoloinOhio

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818393-2019-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-super-bowl-predictions

The Pick: Jonah Williams, OL, Alabama

Jonah Williams has been the best offensive tackle in college football for two seasons—each of which he played on the left side of the Crimson Tide line after moving from his right tackle position he nailed down as a true freshman. Williams' tape is nearly flawless. But he has short arms.

Williams has already been called a guard or center prospect by scouts this offseason, and it's likely he'll follow in the footsteps of Zack Martin, Brandon Scherff or Cody Whitehair as a good college tackle kicked inside because of an arm that's one inch too short.

That's good news for the Bills. They can plug Williams in at guard and have an All-Pro-caliber player there. They could also experiment with him at tackle and let him figure it out on the job while moving Dion Dawkins to right tackle.

However it works, the Bills must focus on helping quarterback Josh Allen.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

Round 2

AJ Brown WR Ole Miss 

Round 3

Damien Harris RB Bama

Round 4

Kris Boyd CB Texas

Lil’Jordan Humphrey WR Texas

Round 5

CJ Conrad TE Kentucky

Lamont Gaillard C UGA

Round 6

Marquis Copeland DL UC

Round 7

Will Harris S BC

Deshaun Davis LB Auburn

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i'd prefer ohio state parris campbell in the second but he has the jags taking him. that kid has some serious speed.  i'd love williams in the first that would be a great draft

My only issue with the Bills taking Campbell is that I think they need a pure WR, and Campbell is more of a hybrid RB. He could continue to develop but his hands are not his strong suit. He would be best utilized in an Alvin Kamara type role. He’s more of an “offensive weapon.” I would love to have him on the Bills but I feel like they need that guy who is a fully developed WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Round 2

AJ Brown WR Ole Miss 

Round 3

Damien Harris RB Bama

Round 4

Kris Boyd CB Texas

Lil’Jordan Humphrey WR Texas

Round 5

CJ Conrad TE Kentucky

Lamont Gaillard C UGA

Round 6

Marquis Copeland DL UC

Round 7

Will Harris S BC

I would be ecstatic with this draft. The most exciting pick for me on this list is the third pick of the Bama runner. The beauty of a selection of Jonah Williams is that regardless what position he is put in he is a plug and play caliber of player. 

Many people believe that the Bills can address their OL woes mostly through free agency. I don't believe that will materialize because offensive linemen are becoming a premium and they will not be as easy to acquire in free agency as many people expect. 

Williams looked over matched against Clemson and Georgia teh year before. He's look terrible against NFL caliber defensive players. His sets and footwork look smooth and such and he is very smart, but he is not an elite talent. I think he is destined for a move inside and I see a lot of similarities in his game to that of Luke Joeckel. The team that drafts him in the top ten will be very disappointed. 

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My only issue with the Bills taking Campbell is that I think they need a pure WR, and Campbell is more of a hybrid RB. He could continue to develop but his hands are not his strong suit. He would be best utilized in an Alvin Kamara type role. He’s more of an “offensive weapon.” I would love to have him on the Bills but I feel like they need that guy who is a fully developed WR. 

his speed is insane and 90 catches this year.  allen just bombing it to him like mahomes does with Hill

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

his speed is insane and 90 catches this year.  allen just bombing it to him like mahomes does with Hill

Agree on the speed and the Hill comparisons. But the catch volume is greatly skewed by the jet sweeps, screen passes, etc in how Day utilized him. He caught a lot of horizontal passes. Not to say that can’t be effective, i would love to have him, he’s just not the downfield, well rounded WR I believe the Bills need that high in the draft. Imo he would be more of a luxury pick for a team like the Bills based on their current WR situation.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Williams looked over matched against Clemson and Georgia teh year before. He's look terrible against NFL caliber defensive players. His sets and footwork look smooth and such and he is very smart, but he is not an elite talent. I think he is destined for a move inside and I see a lot of similarities in his game to that of Luke Joeckel. The team that drafts him in the top ten will be very disappointed. 

This is my sense with him too. He has a reputation as a very hard worker, and you know McBeane loves that, but the tape on those two games particularly doesn't lie. He struggled against premier defensive ends in college. Being kicked inside could make him a high-level guard and that is a definite need, just not one I'd like to see filled with a top 10 pick.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

This is my sense with him too. He has a reputation as a very hard worker, and you know McBeane loves that, but the tape on those two games particularly doesn't lie. He struggled against premier defensive ends in college. Being kicked inside could make him a high-level guard and that is a definite need, just not one I'd like to see filled with a top 10 pick.

Agreed. I think he would make for an almost elite center, because of his smarts, leadership ability, and quick feet. But I do think he is a bottom half of the first talent and teh top ten feels like a massive reach for need. . 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Agree on the speed and the Hill comparisons. But the catch volume is greatly skewed by the jet sweeps, screen passes, etc in how Day utilized him. He caught a lot of horizontal passes. Not to say that can’t be effective, i would love to have him, he’s just not the downfield, well rounded WR I believe the Bills need that high in the draft. Imo he would be more of a luxury pick for a team like the Bills based on their current WR situation.

Is he Ty Montgomery then?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Is he Ty Montgomery then?

I don’t know much about Ty Montgomery from a talent perspective other than how he is utilized. My gut tells me Parris is more talented overall than him and can be moved around a lot. But he’s most effective in space and creating mismatches, hasn’t demonstrated that  #1 WR role (to me). Now you could put him in the slot maybe, he’s super explosive. I’d say he’s Sammy Watkins with less impressive hands and a tall RB body. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree with Miller's take on Williams: He has a chance to be able to be a good tackle in the NFL, but he's likely an all-pro level guard right out of the gate. Think Zack Martin. As the best available offensive lineman in the draft, Bills would probably be wise to just take him and let the rest sort itself out...ESPECIALLY if the top of the draft plays out the way Miller's mock does, with all the blue chip defensive guys gone by 9.

26 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

He's a good guard. I'd rather trade back, take Risner to play RT and use the extra 2nd we pick up on Lindstrom or Bradbury.

I'd be thrilled if this happened. I feel strongly the Bills need to get two o-line starters out of the draft.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1