Great Job by Wade Phillips

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..."The Ageless Wonder" at 71 still has "IT".......remarkable as was Lebeau coaching until 80.......really wanted Wade to get his ring....................

He got one with Denver a few years ago, but it would have been nice to see him get another, too.

• Like (+1) 1

The score says it all, including whose defense was better.  Phillips did well; Belichick did Belichick.  No matter how good you are, how do you compete with someone who totally changes his defensive scheme for one game from what it had been all year?  It's kinda like throwing darts at a target blindfolded.

9 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

hopefully, Wade provided a blueprint for eliminating the passes to James White. Saw very little of that. 

A close friend of mine who is at once a true-blue Buffalonian, a fanatical Pats fan since early childhood, and one of the smartest football fans I know said that given the Rams LB corps, the smartest bet of all was taking the over on James White catches (the line was 6.5). I haven't asked him yet whether he actually made that bet! 

Edited by dave mcbride

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

You mean if Brandin Cooks didn't drop a perfectly thrown ball into his arms in the endzone they might have won the game?  Goff threw an interception on what looked like the exact same route concept the very next play.

All in all, New England dominated the game, if not from the scoreboard perspective, from an on field perspective...the Rams looked like a Bills offense led by "bad Tyrod" for most of the night.

Exactly like that - reminded me of the wild card game against the jags last year, where it was the first defense to break.

Honestly what I saw more of last night was a coach's battle b/t Belly/Flores and McVay/Wade, where McVay couldn't scheme adequately for Gurley's injury and inability to establish the play action for Goff. What actualized this is also demonstrative of the coaches, as the Pats players simply executed the coach's scheme better. Belly and Flores had both sides of the ball executing, Wade had his defense keeping pace as long as they could, and the Rams offense just never responded nor did it capitalize on the few chances it did get. Belly and Flores schemed a defense that made Goff a one-dimensional QB who couldn't rely on play action and as a young QB in the SB, that's a lot to ask for. While Wade schemed a great defense to keep Brady from scoring, the Pats were still able to keep their offense on the field for longer, leaving the Rams defense gassed and sure enough, gave up the first formal score.

I hate that the Pats won for many reasons, and while many will find last night's game boring, I enjoyed watching smart football executed well. While many will disagree, smart and adaptive week-to-week scheming by the coaches and a team's ability to adapt week-in and week-out will beat out a singular system with even the most elite players and coaches if they can't effectively adapt or respond. Smart football will always beat out sexy modern schemes regardless of what they are, but for as much as I don't like the man, you have to respect Belly for being the reason why it's not as simple as everyone might believe to just find a QB, young offensive coach, and a "modern" system - while that certainly has it's benefits. I would've been curious to see this matchup in a couple years after Goff and McVay have more experience. Who knows, maybe Goff can only excel in a play action scheme with the league's arguably best RB and OL.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Still. Cooks should come down with it both times. On first It was as much Goff’s fault as cooks. Same as dolphins clay Allen play more or less. 

On second, NFL WRs need to make those contested catches. 

My my conclusion is is Edelman was mvp, cooks was LVP

These nfl WRs that wait for the ball instead of coming to it and attacking it perplex me. 

Yes Wade did a good job, Billy just did a better one. 

I agree, not exactly Cooks' game to get up for jump balls, but it certainly should be for how he seems to gets recognized by the league, analysts, average fan. Goff gave him a chance, if imperfectly. He could have made the 2 only big plays of the game.. easily SB MVP with 2 great grabs. Ashon or Mike Evans are the masters at it.

Alshon Jeffrey comes down with at least one of those. He's a jump ball monster and it killed the Pats (killed most teams when Foles was switched on "DEEP TO ALSHON" mode).

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This game felt almost exactly like the Bills NE MNF game this year

I've been saying the same thing. It really was. Sadly it speaks more to the Rams underachieving than us particularly proving anything lol. Gotta score points against the ultimate game manager. That Brady fella is very comfortable up just a field goal because he's always got the last drive in his pocket.

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I agree, not exactly Cooks' game to get up for jump balls, but it certainly should be for how he seems to gets recognized by the league, analysts, average fan. Goff gave him a chance, if imperfectly. He could have made the 2 only big plays of the game.. easily SB MVP with 2 great grabs. Ashon or Mike Evans are the masters at it.

Alshon Jeffrey comes down with at least one of those. He's a jump ball monster and it killed the Pats (killed most teams when Foles was switched on "DEEP TO ALSHON" mode).

I've been saying the same thing. It really was. Sadly it speaks more to the Rams underachieving than us particularly proving anything lol. Gotta score points against the ultimate game manager. That Brady fella is very comfortable up just a field goal because he's always got the last drive in his pocket.

Jeffrey is a beast. Foles seems to use him better that Wentz. 

Hope to to see Allen get a guy like that. 

Wonder if Evans gets put on the block with the upheaval in Tampa- Was Ariens one who prioritizes field stretching speed outside ? That’d be nice 

34 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Jeffrey is a beast. Foles seems to use him better that Wentz. 

Hope to to see Allen get a guy like that. 

Wonder if Evans gets put on the block with the upheaval in Tampa- Was Ariens one who prioritizes field stretching speed outside ? That’d be nice 

Haha those are like my 2 favorite WRs because they just make tough physical grabs. Just super cool to watch over a speed guy burning his man. Brandin Cooks can be gameplanned against when you got safeties flying at the deep ball.

It's awesome to have a 1 on 1 WR that has a 50/50 to get 60 yards bombs. Allen's gotta put some air on his deep balls.. seems more catered for speed at the moment.

Mike Evans would be great. Don't know what's going on in Tampa, they're so talented I can't see a rebuild. Just a quarterback away and not even a particularly great one at that (see Fitz). But yeah.. sign me up for Mike.

7 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

They would have won.

The Rams defense did their job.

They won’t feel that way

is this worse for the D  than the Seahawks throwing it all away on a dumb pass for no reason?

8 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

I thought Wade called an excellent game.  They played the run well on 1st down barring a couple of plays.  They gave them the soft perimeter on 2nd down to put the Pats in 3rd and 5 or less and that's when they came up and pressed the WR's and forced throws most of the time.  It was smart defensive game planning and playing the downs by Wade.  The Rams offense on the other hand, McVay and Goff just couldn't figure out the 1 Cross.  They needed to pass better on the perimeter and they couldn't.  The Pats defensive plan was flawless based on what the Rams like to do.  They scheme muddied the middle of the field and forced passes on the perimeter and the Rams just couldn't take advantage of that.

This is coaching and players.  The Rams saw this defense before.  McVay saw this defense before.  They had to know that they would see this in this game.  But their plan didn't do much to help them.  The Rams saw this vs the Lions (Matt Patricia) and McVay saw this when he was with the Redskins (Matt Patricia).  1 Cross muddy the middle and force the team to pass on the perimeter.  For whatever reason the Rams didn't pass much on the perimeter. I'm not sure what they thought they were going to get out of these guys?  Just because Patricia is gone doesn't mean that Bellicheck wasn't the mastermind behind the coverage scheme.   Goff looked thoroughly confused and rather than letting it rip and anticipating guys being open, he was waiting for them to actually be clear and open.  The TD he missed for instance, he was way late.

AMEN on Goff’s timing on multiple throws( or lack there of?)

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

They won’t feel that way

is this worse for the D  than the Seahawks throwing it all away on a dumb pass for no reason?

I'm not saying how they should feel.

I'm saying that they did their part and the offense did not.

• Like (+1) 1

If wade was the HC I think they win. McVay seemed lost and his players seemed out of focus. 7 minutes left McVay and Goff had looks of defeat yet the game was within reach. No adjustments were made all game on the offensive side and there was little to no emotion. On D, they played lights out and energetic just like Wade was on the sidelines! 

Edited by billsfan_34

10 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Both BB and Wade were great. Both of them, over 65, out-classed the whipper-snapper McVey (who admitted that he was out-coached). Maybe all these teams deciding to go the youth route when it comes to coaching should reconsider... ?

Nonsense.  Old white guys are stupid wastes of skin.  Everyone knows this.  If you want to win you have to employ young people because only young people know the "right" stuff.  Don't believe me, just ask one.  Oh and btw, I'm only in my mid-thirties.