Great Job by Wade Phillips

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Apparently you didn’t watch Orton ???

The better was Bledsoe Bill where he'd stand there 3 like a statue way too late and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i watched the Van Noy replay 80 times and I guess he just didn't see him at all?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I thought Wade called an excellent game.  They played the run well on 1st down barring a couple of plays.  They gave them the soft perimeter on 2nd down to put the Pats in 3rd and 5 or less and that's when they came up and pressed the WR's and forced throws most of the time.  It was smart defensive game planning and playing the downs by Wade.  The Rams offense on the other hand, McVay and Goff just couldn't figure out the 1 Cross.  They needed to pass better on the perimeter and they couldn't.  The Pats defensive plan was flawless based on what the Rams like to do.  They scheme muddied the middle of the field and forced passes on the perimeter and the Rams just couldn't take advantage of that.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Suffocating?

Yes and no.

There was good coverage but I saw a young QB (and team) who looked tentative and in over their heads.

As mentioned there was at least 1 dropped TD . I also saw Goff waiting to see his guys open at times, thus allowing the DB to make the play.

Coaching??? A hand off on 3-22 in the 4 th with about 10 minutes left? SERIOUSLY???

I know I’m not the only one who saw this Coming. You shouldn’t play to not lose in the SB. The Rams did...... and lost in the Worst SB I’ve seen.

Also, can ANY team learn to play Edelman “ man to zone” so when he runs that effing pick play the nearest DB jumps the route?!

This is coaching and players.  The Rams saw this defense before.  McVay saw this defense before.  They had to know that they would see this in this game.  But their plan didn't do much to help them.  The Rams saw this vs the Lions (Matt Patricia) and McVay saw this when he was with the Redskins (Matt Patricia).  1 Cross muddy the middle and force the team to pass on the perimeter.  For whatever reason the Rams didn't pass much on the perimeter. I'm not sure what they thought they were going to get out of these guys?  Just because Patricia is gone doesn't mean that Bellicheck wasn't the mastermind behind the coverage scheme.   Goff looked thoroughly confused and rather than letting it rip and anticipating guys being open, he was waiting for them to actually be clear and open.  The TD he missed for instance, he was way late.

BTW, just as an aside. in their first game against the Pats...

Jared Goff, 19-38, 229 yards, 0 TDS, 1 Int.

Josh Allen, 20-41, 217 yards, 1 TD, 2 Ints, 5 rushes for 30 yards.

Bragging rights?  Not at all.  Not great performances by either.  However, I  just wasn't overly hard on Allen after that game on the 23rd and the above comparison  helps a little.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

37 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

You know what, its the off-season.  I can't do this for a full year.  I have to put this board away.  This is just insane. 

people will be whining about missed penalty calls every day for the next 7 months on here

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

NE was on the field for nearly 7 minutes more than LA.  22 first downs.   407 yards.  16 catches between Edelman and Gronk on 19 targets. Michel and Burkhead had 137 yards on 25 carries.  

Rams offense got smoked, but Wade's D struggled to get off the field from the start.

Yeah I agree, Wade had a good plan but Edelman seemed to be ridiculously wide open in every 3rd down. 

He had no answer for it except to keep playing more zone and it killed them.

• Like (+1) 1

That was a defensive master class by BOTH coaches. Wade holding the Pats to 13 points on that stage was absolutely amazing.

I'll tell ya something, though: I hate how predictable the Rams offense was. They called the same stuff they've been calling all year long. The Eagles game last year showed that the only way to beat the Pats (especially in a Super Bowl where Belichick had two weeks to prepare) is to show them things they've never seen before. The Rams didn't do that AT ALL. There wasn't even a little list of 5 trick or surprise plays or ANYTHING. 

Nevertheless, great defensive job by Belichick, and great job by Wade Phillips.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Still. Cooks should come down with it both times. On first It was as much Goff’s fault as cooks. Same as dolphins clay Allen play more or less. 

On second, NFL WRs need to make those contested catches. 

My my conclusion is is Edelman was mvp, cooks was LVP

These nfl WRs that wait for the ball instead of coming to it and attacking it perplex me. 

Yes Wade did a good job, Billy just did a better one. 

On that second one, Gilmore had excellent D (a very subtle arm bar that NEVER gets called), and Harmon delivered a big hit just after the ball arrived. That is not an easy catch at all, especially when you're using one hand. It was a good throw, but it was basically into double coverage with one of the coverage guys being their top corner. It was well defended. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..."The Ageless Wonder" at 71 still has "IT".......remarkable as was Lebeau coaching until 80.......really wanted Wade to get his ring....................

He already has a ring, but yes this one would have been very sweet.

• Like (+1) 2

NE was on the field for nearly 7 minutes more than LA.  22 first downs.   407 yards.  16 catches between Edelman and Gronk on 19 targets. Michel and Burkhead had 137 yards on 25 carries.  

Rams offense got smoked, but Wade's D struggled to get off the field from the start.

The only thing that matters at the end of the day is points. If you told McVay and Phillips before the game that they were going to hold the Pats to 13 points; they'd probably start getting rings fitted right then and there. 

Nobody is talking about the too many men penalty toward the end of the first half. This pretty much summed up why I didn't like Wade. The team took way too many undisciplined penalties when he was here. This was inexcusable in a game of this magnitude. 

1 hour ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Did you see Edelman's moves?  Unbelievable.  I'm not sure how you cover that guy.  I thought they'd put Barron on him.

Trump wouldn't let Barron play...

18 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Both BB and Wade were great. Both of them, over 65, out-classed the whipper-snapper McVey (who admitted that he was out-coached). Maybe all these teams deciding to go the youth route when it comes to coaching should reconsider... ?

McVay should find a better OC...

It's not at all.

I'm saying that the Rams D wasn't that great last night.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

it was a good game, the better prepped and executing team won, as usual, intangibles didn't drag them down

not the best D I've seen in my 47 or so watched ones, but a good effort to hold Brady to only 13 points

The Rams defense did their job, their offense lost them the game. Plain and simple as that.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Both BB and Wade were great. Both of them, over 65, out-classed the whipper-snapper McVey (who admitted that he was out-coached). Maybe all these teams deciding to go the youth route when it comes to coaching should reconsider... ?

Sneaky great way to end the NFL season: All the teams who tripped over each other to hire "The Next Sean McVay" watching the ORIGINAL Sean McVay coach his offense to a 3-point output on the game's biggest stage.

Buyer's remorse, anyone?

Edited by Logic