Who's more overrated...goff or mcvay

Hebert19

8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that it helps to have 2 game plans that you practice and keep on the back-burner for playing Belichick.

If you go with the things that your team has used in the past he will have schemed a way to stop it.

The 2nd game plan is the one you use after the half when he has figured out how to stop the first one.

I did not watch this SB, but it sounds like Wade's D held the line pretty well till that one scoring drive and that the Rams threw a pick from the NE 4. Why is a team with Gurley on the roster having a shakey QB throwing the ball on the opponents 4 yard line...maybe i read the report wrong.

There are times a team just has to line up and win the 1 on 1 matches.

You have to have many more counter plans than what you mentioned.  I could see adjustments in the NE plan for both offense and defense well into the 4th quarter.  As much as I hate Bill B he simply outworked McVay.  As far as the "if Mahomes were there" talk that is simply ridiculous.  Mahomes and the Chiefs had their chance on their home turf and blew it.  If Mahomes were helming the Rams the outcome would have not changed.  Some here are so invested in Mahomes that it scares me.  Do they have a Mahomes bedspread and lunchbox? 

Well when you have the best RB in the league (at least for the first 14 weeks or so) and arguably one of the top defensive talents in the league if not #1 and one of top rated young healthy QB's in the league, it's easy to look like a genius HC.

I think he has a very short window to win as once they extend Goff and others will be hard to keep the bulk of the team together.  And once a team is considered great the value of all their pending FA's becomes elevated compared to other FA with other teams

57 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Or, quite a bit could be chalked up to BB having his D ready to play lights out, and with a game plan to dare the Rams to beat them with the run, which almost never needed adjustment throughout the game as it turns out. Shades of XXV, where BB took away many of the Bills passing options and shut down one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL in the process. Maybe D still matters just a little bit?

lol just a bit 

(to those who still want to argue the point)   I'll say it again. 

In the regular season High Scoring Offenses get attention and excitement.  

In the post season .... 

Defense Win Championships

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't pretend to understand the finer points of football and during the game, I thought that it was all on Goff. But this breakdown by Andy Benoit at SI explains how the Pats gameplan worked to take away what the Rams want to do. For those disinclined to read the article, it boils down to a Cover 4 scheme to take away the crossing routes that the Rams like to use and a 6 man front with the linebackers not allowing the edge runs that Rams used all year. I barely understand what the means, but what I do know is that if you give Belichick two weeks to break down film he will come up with a scheme to take away any trends that he can see on film. John Sullivan (Rams center) said that the Cover 4 was something that the Pats had not done all year. So the Pats completely changed their defense in those two weeks while the Rams kept their offense intact. So if you have to blame someone, I guess that it would have to be McVey because he prepared for the Pats like they are any other team and not one lead by the mad scientist of defensive football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/04/bill-belichick-sean-mcvay-super-bowl-liii

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think either one is overrated, really. They just got beat. One of the things McVay does to help Goff is how quick they call in the play and how quickly they get up on the line so Goff can observe how the defense is lining up with McVay still in his ear for a couple more seconds. They were unable to do this last night because Patriots fans owned that stadium. With as good as the Rams have been you'd think they'd drum up a bit more interest in one of the biggest markets in America, but people in LA care more about USC than the Rams. Fans didn't travel well. It felt like a home game for NE when the Rams offense was on the field. The crowd was insanely loud nearly every time LA had the ball and when NE had the ball you could hear a mouse fart. Rams were just completely overwhelmed. I mean, they had what, three players with previous Super Bowl experience? (I might even be overshooting that, Talib is the only one I can think of that has played in a SB). Meanwhile, NE had something like 45+ players with prior Super Bowl experience. The Rams seemed caught up in the glitz and glamour of the big game while the Patriots just looked at it like another day's work. Even in the NFC Championship I thought the game looked too big for LA and it took a bogus play for them to win that one. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oh no, did someone criticize your Patsie?

I'm sorry, seabiscuit. I'll try not to blemish your precious again.

:lol:

Thank you.  And if Josh Allen has a MVP season and loses the way Mahomes did in the championship game, please call me a moron if I try to criticize him after.

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

The Pats game plan was simple but effective, that’s the not the first time a team did that with Goff. 

And this blueprint will be used by all of their opponents next season until they can prove they can beat it regularly. This is where Goff is either going to grow and overcome it or sink. 

36 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that it helps to have 2 game plans that you practice and keep on the back-burner for playing Belichick.

If you go with the things that your team has used in the past he will have schemed a way to stop it.

The 2nd game plan is the one you use after the half when he has figured out how to stop the first one.

BB always has a good game plan coming and makes in-game adjustments better than any other coach, he has no problem switching between schemes. That's part of the genius in the players they go after as well - they can play anything at any time and are ridiculously well coached. 

21 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

And this blueprint will be used by all of their opponents next season until they can prove they can beat it regularly. This is where Goff is either going to grow and overcome it or sink. 

The NFC is very competitive, always has been, 4 or 5 teams will gladly take the crown next year if the defending champ isn't up to it

the AFC is not so competitive, rarely has been the last 50 years.

okay, the Raiders/Steelers/Fish 70s was competitive and top of the game, that's about it

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Oh, please - McVay is 33 and Goff is just starting out, and they came within a Gilmore PI of beating the best duo of all time.

They’re well rated.

that's still a million miles away from actually scoring on them and winning

we've been say woulda/coulda/shoulda since 2001 for Pats opponents

just go with the flow

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know I respect you quite a bit, Huds, but you seem to be misinformed.

From what many across the land say forget about Tom and forget about BB.  The reason why the Patriots keep winning world championships or going to the SB is because the Bills, Dolphins and Jets are so bad and can't compete against them.  

Please ignore the fact that we scored more points in both our games against a team that owns us than the NFC Champion Greatest Show on Turf, The Sequel did last night. 

Oh, and this just in:  people are stupid.

This isn’t true. At least not how the numbers read. 

Brady vs:

AFCE 81-21=.794

NFL 207-62=.769

NFL sans AFCE games 126-41 = .754

Basically the AFCE give Brady less than 1 win per year compared to the rest of the league. Closer to one win every other year. 

2 hours ago, MDH said:

Goff. He plays well when Gurley is carrying  the team and he can work off play action. The moment Goff has to try and carry the team he’s not just average, he’s garbage.

That said McVay should have his feet held to the fire for the way he used Gurley in the NFC Championship game and the SB. Best back in the NFL and he uses a guy who wasnt on a roster late in the season with instead.

Despite what the Rams say, Gurley is not 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

Brady vs:

AFCE 81-21=.794

NFL 207-62=.769

Basically the AFCE give Brady less than 1 win per year compared to the rest of the league. Closer to one win every other year. 

oh please.

the Pats know if it comes to an emergency they can take the division with a 9-7

the easing of pressure is huge in this day and age for the Pats to sit back until the playoffs

how the hell can 3 teams play like such trash in your division for 18 straight seasons, or is it more?

Belichick and Brady would LOVE a season where they have to strategize and squeak out a 9-7, make it a challenge for them

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

oh please.

the easing of pressure is huge in this day and age for the Pats to sit back until the playoffs

how the hell can 3 teams play like such trash in your division for 18 straight seasons, or is it more?

Belichick and Brady would LOVE a season where they have to strategize and squeak out a 9-7, make it a challenge for them

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

oh please.

That has literally never happened in the Brady era......

I would go the other way. The reason for the futility in the AFCE is because they have to play Brady twice per year. The division hasn’t really been as bad as it seems. I don’t think there are many if any teams that would find success against Brady that often.

Hell, the guys SB win percentage is .666

Edited by Mango

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Cant say I'm impressed much, looks like the typical girl you would see with a guy like him. I'd be impressed if he resembled Wade Phillip's with a girl like her....  

Difference.

When you look like McVay and have a girl like that, you got  "game".

When you look like Wade Phillips and have a girl like that, you got  "$$$$" .

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mango said:

Brady vs:

AFCE 81-21=.794

NFL 207-62=.769

I was being sarcastic, Mango.