Who's more overrated...goff or mcvay

Hebert19

Goff missed throws that could have won the game. He was late on the easy TD to Cooks and was throwing off the dirt half the night. As others said, no pocket presence. The Patriots kept him confused and their D is not that overwhelming. Great game plan but if Goff makes those throws then it's a different ball game. 

I also thought the decline of Gurley was unexpected. They never schemed to get him in space when the Pats put 6 on the line. Goff was indecisive and off target all night. It was hard to watch.

Considering all the great things said about him, it might be McVay. 

But I would take McVay over Goff. At worst, McVay is an Andy Reid type. You could do a lot worst than Andy Reid at the Head Coach position.

I'm just not a big believer in Goff. Imagine if this Rams team had Nick Foles behind center last night. Hard to imagine they only manage 3 points behind a more experienced QB that doesn't fold. 

2 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Goff missed throws that could have won the game. He was late on the easy TD to Cooks and was throwing off the dirt half the night. As others said, no pocket presence. The Patriots kept him confused and their D is not that overwhelming. Great game plan but if Goff makes those throws then it's a different ball game. 

I also thought the decline of Gurley was unexpected. They never schemed to get him in space when the Pats put 6 on the line. Goff was indecisive and off target all night. It was hard to watch.

This.  Goff couldn’t even run out of bounds decisively.  Let’s not forget their kicker bailing him out for their only 3 points after taking a deer-in-headlights sack.  Their kicker also basically won the game in New Orleans.  

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

That has literally never happened in the Brady era......

I would go the other way. The reason for the futility in the AFCE is because they have to play Brady twice per year. The division hasn’t really been as bad as it seems. I don’t think there are many if any teams that would find success against Brady that often.

Hell, the guys SB win percentage is .666

I was making this argument a while back in regards to our post season drought...a good part of the organizational churn that has plagued AFC East teams has been the somewhat desperate and futile efforts to knock off NE.

Owners are desperate and so are fans. It is what gets me so ticked off when NE does get the beneficial calls - they don't need the help as you have to play a solid game down to the wire to beat them.

Mission #1 for the Bills is to beat NE... it is really that simple. Just having great players is not going to get it done either...McDermott and Daboll are going to have to step it up in the coaching and game planning dept.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I guess it depends on what you think the national opinion of Goff is. It seems to me like a lot of people are coming around to the idea that Goff just isn't good, but maybe that's just the football people that I follow.

I think McVay is a very good coach; don't understand the god-like following he has already though.

But Goff...I simply don't think he's good. In my opinion, if the Rams are smart, they'll draft another QB and let Goff walk when his rookie deal is up. Barring some serious development from him, I would not want to be the team that gives him his second contract.

This. To steal from the late Dennis Green, Goff "is who we thought he was." 

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

For me it's a toss up but I'd say mcvay. He has done a decent job but has also blessed with a ton of talent on the team.  His in game decisions are questionable.  All playoffs he has thrown more than needed because he outsmarts himself.   But that's just me. 

I'd guess if they ran anderson and Gurley every play they could have mustered more than 3 points and their QB wouldnt have gotten killed.  

Its both.  Doesn’t mean they won’t keep getting better, but it’s both.  Funny all year I got flamed by people for the following statements:

1.  McVay needs to win something before being crowned the next king.

2.  Goff isn’t as good as the stats suggest, he doesn’t handle pressure well at all.  

3.  Defense still matters.

4.  Pats demise is over exaggerated and they are still the Pats until proven otherwise. 

5.  Belichick is a defensive genius.  Still can’t believe how many people argued he’s an offensive HC now when they were trying to prove defense is dead.

All of that was served up on a platter yesterday for a lot of people.  Funny, I seriously doubt that any of them change their mind and probably still dispute all of the above even now.

• Like (+1) 3

Peter King's take this morning, anticipating the OP's very thread:

"I think the performance has to be a crushing one for Goff and a humbling one for McVay. I put a lot more of the blame on Goff, because he’s got to make more plays than he did, and he took some sacks he shouldn’t have and just didn’t respond to the New England pressure as the game went on. But I wouldn’t worry much about either man. Goff had some shaky games down the stretch—Bears, Eagles and Patriots most notably. But he’s got the rare gift to forget when he stinks, like a great cornerback. McVay is too smart to be crushed by this. He won’t say it, but he needs his quarterback to be his general on the field and to make enough plays to keep his team in the game. He could have the best game plan he’d ever choreographed Sunday, but it the quarterback can’t execute it and make more plays, it would be for naught."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/04/super-bowl-53-patriots-rams-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Oh no, did someone criticize your Patsie?

I'm sorry, seabiscuit. I'll try not to blemish your precious again.

:lol:

Don't be too hard on him, he still hasn't emerged from his shock and disbelief that EJ Manuel is still, somehow, not the starting QB for the Bills...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I agree that neither McVay or Goff has done anything to garner HOF talk.  

Both are still young so, who knows what they will do in a few years.   

Only the Shadow knows 

No Belichick probably has the shadow being watched and his phone is probably wire tapped.

4 hours ago, Mark92 said:

I believe what happened last night in SB 53 was all about the Patriots D and a young QB for the Rams.  The Patriots only getting 13 was not a shock.  So I wouldn't say either Mcvay or Goff are overated.  

And a young coach for the Rams, going against the Master.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

That has literally never happened in the Brady era......

I would go the other way. The reason for the futility in the AFCE is because they have to play Brady twice per year. The division hasn’t really been as bad as it seems. I don’t think there are many if any teams that would find success against Brady that often.

Hell, the guys SB win percentage is .666

Oh so what about all the other teams the rest of the AFC East get beat by.  Silly me I thought maybe it was because we couldnt find QBs.

3 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I really wish my overrated coach and overrated QB got me to the SB and barely lost to the greatest of all time.  SMH.

I did enjoy watching the Rams D.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’d like to be overrated and in the Super Bowl. 

I could settle for that, right now. 

I hope Smug McPunchyface NEVER returns. Like a 20 year coaching career with no more trips to the Super Bowl. THAT would be cosmic justice.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I hope Smug McPunchyface NEVER returns. Like a 20 year coaching career with no more trips to the Super Bowl. THAT would be cosmic justice.

If he stole your girlfriend...........I’d like to congratulate you on a good run! Hope you made the most of it! 

Just now, Augie said:

If he stole your girlfriend...........I’d like to congratulate you on a good run! Hope you made the most of it! 

Nah. Not about that.

All about the fawning worship and glorification. Can not stand that. Also, if Mike Schopp likes you, I'm automatically not going to.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MDH said:

Goff. He plays well when Gurley is carrying  the team and he can work off play action. The moment Goff has to try and carry the team he’s not just average, he’s garbage.

That said McVay should have his feet held to the fire for the way he used Gurley in the NFC Championship game and the SB. Best back in the NFL and he uses a guy who wasnt on a roster late in the season with instead.

Good post, but Gurley is *clearly* injured. I won't be shocked if we find out that he's going to have surgery soon.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Nah. Not about that.

All about the fawning worship and glorification. Can not stand that. Also, if Mike Schopp likes you, I'm automatically not going to.

Well, I’m glad you got over the girlfriend thing already. You can do better than her, anyway. 

I manage to ignore announcers and general media noise better than most. I think.