Who's more overrated...goff or mcvay

Hebert19

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

For an offensive genius (who was reportedly the model that every coach-hiring team wanted to follow this offseason), it was absolutely astounding how poor Sean McVay did at adjusting to what the defense was throwing at them.

No.  Jared Goff didn't play well.  But the pressure on him was non-stop, and every time he threw the ball (at least from my vantage point), the receivers were blanketed.

This was just another case of a team going against Bill Belichick with FAR superior talent, but losing the chess match on the sidelines.  Belichick had a plan to shut down the misdirection plays that worked so well for the Rams during the season.  And when those plays weren't working, McVay had nothing to counter with.

Remember the outrage earlier in the year when McDermott said that "game plan trumps talent" (or something like that)? He is getting that from seeing the Patriots and Belichek. It doesnt matter who they seem to plug in to play with Brady on BBs Patriots, they still find a way to beat you because of BBs gameplanning and schemes, or Voodoo

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Remember the outrage earlier in the year when McDermott said that "game plan trumps talent" (or something like that)? He is getting that from seeing the Patriots and Belichek. It doesnt matter who they seem to plug in to play with Brady on BBs Patriots, they still find a way to beat you because of BBs gameplanning and schemes, or Voodoo

Actually Coach McDermott said opposite.  The quote is, “Culture trumps strategy.”

????

• Thank you (+1) 1

Can’t be a one trick pony and beat Belichik.  Maybe McVay was out-coached but there’s only so much you can do when your QB is crapping the bed.  Bills fans know that feeling all too well.  Game was over when Goff threw that wobbly duck 5 seconds too late to Cooks wide open in the end zone.  He was a deer in headlights.  No matter how bad Brady looks in a game, he almost always finds a way to muster the winning drive and never looks over-matched out there.  

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

For an offensive genius (who was reportedly the model that every coach-hiring team wanted to follow this offseason), it was absolutely astounding how poor Sean McVay did at adjusting to what the defense was throwing at them.

No.  Jared Goff didn't play well.  But the pressure on him was non-stop, and every time he threw the ball (at least from my vantage point), the receivers were blanketed.

This was just another case of a team going against Bill Belichick with FAR superior talent, but losing the chess match on the sidelines.  Belichick had a plan to shut down the misdirection plays that worked so well for the Rams during the season.  And when those plays weren't working, McVay had nothing to counter with.

I'd take it a step further but rather than adjust I expect someone labeled a 'genius' would have anticipated what the Patriots would game plan on defense and have been prepared to show some different looks at the beginning of the game to get Belichik guessing.  But they played right into his hands and showed him exactly what he planned for during the 2-week break  From my perspective, watching the Bills play NE twice a year, nothing the Pats showed was a surprise so I am baffled why McVay had no answers for any of it.

43 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

For me it's a toss up but I'd say mcvay. He has done a decent job but has also blessed with a ton of talent on the team.  His in game decisions are questionable.  All playoffs he has thrown more than needed because he outsmarts himself.   But that's just me. 

I'd guess if they ran anderson and Gurley every play they could have mustered more than 3 points and their QB wouldnt have gotten killed.  

Does he get no credit for helping to attract that talent to Los Angeles?  Or identifying talent on other teams that then he works with his GM to bring to LA?

All I know is this...

Hes the youngest coach to ever make a Super Bowl.  He not even 35 years old.  His regular season record is 24-8, Overall it’s 26-9.  His side of the football is offense whom in two seasons his teams have ranked 3rd and 2nd in Points per game with 2 divisional titles.

so he’s never not won the division.

No way he is overrated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except Romo was calling McVay out in the 4Q for being too predictable with offensive playcalls, which is supposed to be one point of analytics.

(not in so many words, but it was clear what Romo meant)

Exactly. This whole analytics thing is so completely over-rated. It works in individual sports like baseball, NOT in football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I guess it depends on what you think the national opinion of Goff is. It seems to me like a lot of people are coming around to the idea that Goff just isn't good, but maybe that's just the football people that I follow.

I think McVay is a very good coach; don't understand the god-like following he has already though.

But Goff...I simply don't think he's good. In my opinion, if the Rams are smart, they'll draft another QB and let Goff walk when his rookie deal is up. Barring some serious development from him, I would not want to be the team that gives him his second contract.

I think Goff is a very Foles-like QB.  With a stout run game and the ability to use play action, he can light your hair on fire.

But he's also where Foles was a few years back in "feeling pressure" that really isn't there.  In a way, their run game and play-action have masked that they haven't developed that aspect of his game.  Belicheck peeled his chrysalis off and revealed him for the slug-like pupating thing that he is.

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Exactly. This whole analytics thing is so completely over-rated. It works in individual sports like baseball, NOT in football.

Analytics may work in football, analytics may not work in football, but what we saw last night from the Ram's O doesn't address that question 'cuz it's like they gave their analytics a night off and paid it no mind.

• Like (+1) 1

Said it before the game, that offense is an entirely different animal whenever Gurley is healthy. He is a beast in the passing game, it slow down the rush and creates more space for the WRs. The Pats game plan was simple but effective, that’s the not the first time a team did that with Goff. 

12 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I went away yesterday thinking I'd rather have Josh Allen than Jared Goff which is crazzzzzzy!

Me too actually.  Given a defensive performance like that and the weapons they have.  Allen wins that game. 

The whole team is overrated. They decided to blow draft picks and cap space and gave themselves basically a one year window to win the Super Bowl. They only have $32 million in cap space entering 2019 and they have pending free agents in Suh, Joyner, Saffold, Fowler, and Littleton. In the 2018 draft they didn't have any picks until pick #89, and this year before compensatory picks they only have a 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th. You win in the NFL by building through the draft but they didn't get the memo. By the time Goff's 2nd contract rolls around their roster is going to be in serious trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd say both Goff and McVay fall on the overrated side of things but I would definitely say Goff. McVay took over an underachieving team and has made it into a contender the past 2 years. He turned things around right away so we know he can coach. Is he as great as the media makes him out to be, no but he is still a top 5 Head Coach in this league. As for Goff, he was a disaster before McVay came to the Rams and he has been a solid quarterback since. He does not get the sort of praise that McVay has gotten but Goff has been generally seen as one of the top young quarterbacks in the league. But watching Goff, he reminds me much more of a Cousins than a Brady. He will put up stats especially when Gurley and the run game is going, but when he needs to carry the team he generally comes up short. Beginning in week 13 against the Lions Goff's play really began to tail off. He had lost Kupp and Gurley's play began to fall off. In Goff's last 8 starts he has failed to throw for more than 1 passing TD in 7 of those 8 starts. The 1 game he did was against SF in a week 17 matchup. In 4 of the last 8 starts he has not even thrown for a single passing TD. And Goff has very limited mobility so he does not make up for it on the ground with rushing yards and rushing TDS. The more you watch Goff, the more I think he has been propped up by McVay and the talent around him. Once the talent started to fade he was not able to elevate his play and that of his teammates.

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

For me it's a toss up but I'd say mcvay. He has done a decent job but has also blessed with a ton of talent on the team.  His in game decisions are questionable.  All playoffs he has thrown more than needed because he outsmarts himself.   But that's just me. 

I'd guess if they ran anderson and Gurley every play they could have mustered more than 3 points and their QB wouldnt have gotten killed.  

Because the youngest head coach ever to lead a team to the super bowl was beaten by the ? coach and QB? 

Thats overrated?? Or is it just a damn good start to his career? 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Because the youngest head coach ever to lead a team to the super bowl was beaten by the ? coach and QB? 

Thats overrated?? Or is it just a damn good start to his career? 

No because everyone is clamoring to hire someone in his mold...give him Oakland or Bill's roster and see how good a coach he is. 

3 hours ago, MDH said:

Goff. He plays well when Gurley is carrying  the team and he can work off play action. The moment Goff has to try and carry the team he’s not just average, he’s garbage.

That said McVay should have his feet held to the fire for the way he used Gurley in the NFC Championship game and the SB. Best back in the NFL and he uses a guy who wasnt on a roster late in the season with instead.

I dont know if I would call him garbage, you have to remember who was coaching the other side.  He wasnt very good though.  Reminded me of TT without the ability to run.  Woods must have been having dejavu.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 1