Who's more overrated...goff or mcvay

Hebert19

For me it's a toss up but I'd say mcvay. He has done a decent job but has also blessed with a ton of talent on the team.  His in game decisions are questionable.  All playoffs he has thrown more than needed because he outsmarts himself.   But that's just me. 

I'd guess if they ran anderson and Gurley every play they could have mustered more than 3 points and their QB wouldnt have gotten killed.  

Edited by Hebert19

Goff. He plays well when Gurley is carrying  the team and he can work off play action. The moment Goff has to try and carry the team he’s not just average, he’s garbage.

That said McVay should have his feet held to the fire for the way he used Gurley in the NFC Championship game and the SB. Best back in the NFL and he uses a guy who wasnt on a roster late in the season with instead.

Edited by MDH
  • Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

I believe what happened last night in SB 53 was all about the Patriots D and a young QB for the Rams.  The Patriots only getting 13 was not a shock.  So I wouldn't say either Mcvay or Goff are overated.  

117714-004-21FFC06C.jpg

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Haha (+1) 1

I guess it depends on what you think the national opinion of Goff is. It seems to me like a lot of people are coming around to the idea that Goff just isn't good, but maybe that's just the football people that I follow.

I think McVay is a very good coach; don't understand the god-like following he has already though.

But Goff...I simply don't think he's good. In my opinion, if the Rams are smart, they'll draft another QB and let Goff walk when his rookie deal is up. Barring some serious development from him, I would not want to be the team that gives him his second contract.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The game last night should have never come down to Goff. Its been obvious that Goff thrives in a system that makes it easier for him. McVey has down a great job setting the stage for his success by surrounding him with talent and creating an offensive scheme that plays to his strengths. Last night McVey just blew it on the playcalling. The Pats blew up the Rams game plan and Goff, left to his own devices was exposed as the so so talent that he is. McVey should have been picking up those Pats blitzes and calling screen after screen then countering with a run. Instead he just froze and stubbornly stuck with a game plan that clearly wasn't working. Add to this the weirdness of the Gurley situation and the Rams offense was completely neutered. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

I believe what happened last night in SB 53 was all about the Patriots D and a young QB for the Rams.  The Patriots only getting 13 was not a shock.  So I wouldn't say either Mcvay or Goff are overated.  

...good call....way too early on in their careers to start "overrated" talk......first trip to the Big Dance and facing Belichick/Brady is a pretty tall order......

• Like (+1) 1

Hate to make this sort of proclamation after a game but if I had to I would say both did poorly.

The game plan was awful, they didn't try to run it enough and everything they dialed up Belichek seemed to have an answer for.  McVay was outclassed by the master.

And Goff just wasn't seeing the field and missed some opportunities and to me he didn't seem willing to stand tall in the pocket enough and take the hits to make a play.  He was doing that thing Brady was doing earlier in the year, where he was sort of just bailing while making some throws which clearly were off.   No doubt, the offensive line was not able to pass block well enough but there were times when I felt that Goff was feeling the pressure and getting rid of it too quickly.

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Also ... I knew this would be trouble   (LOL's) 

Sean McVay says Bill Belichick has been texting him all season

It's how they upload the bug into his phone........

As for the original question, could be a little of both. McVay hasnt really done anything as a coach yet, while having one of the most stacked teams in the league and people keep talking about how great and innovative he is and teams are searching to find the next him.

Goff on the other hand also hasnt won anything and everyone already seem ready to consider him a future HOFer, along with Wentz. 

As for the backlash on McVay for  not going with Gurley, if it was something he just decided not to do, McVay is an idiot. But I can almost guarantee real soon we are going to hear the Rams come out and say Gurley has been playing with a serious injury and is probably scheduled for surgery to fix......

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Like (+1) 2

For an offensive genius (who was reportedly the model that every coach-hiring team wanted to follow this offseason), it was absolutely astounding how poor Sean McVay did at adjusting to what the defense was throwing at them.

No.  Jared Goff didn't play well.  But the pressure on him was non-stop, and every time he threw the ball (at least from my vantage point), the receivers were blanketed.

This was just another case of a team going against Bill Belichick with FAR superior talent, but losing the chess match on the sidelines.  Belichick had a plan to shut down the misdirection plays that worked so well for the Rams during the season.  And when those plays weren't working, McVay had nothing to counter with.

1 minute ago, mjt328 said:

For an offensive genius (who was reportedly the model that every coach-hiring team wanted to follow this offseason), it was absolutely astounding how poor Sean McVay did at adjusting to what the defense was throwing at them.

No.  Jared Goff didn't play well.  But the pressure on him was non-stop, and every time he threw the ball (at least from my vantage point), the receivers were blanketed.

This was just another case of a team going against Bill Belichick with FAR superior talent, but losing the chess match on the sidelines.  Belichick had a plan to shut down the misdirection plays that worked so well for the Rams during the season.  And when those plays weren't working, McVay had nothing to counter with.

Guess the pen ran out of ink before they could "check that box"