Maybe now the story will be told on Gurley...

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wait...."arthritis"??

I know right?

Potentially the game of your career and you can't go because you have "arthritis" in your knee.

I have arthritis in my whole body - that is what 2 Tylenols and doing some warm ups is meant to take care of till they find a cure 

Arthritis is an autoimmune disease.  Your immune system is attacking your joints.  There are lots of medications being prescribed now to control it - drugs like Humira.  They suppress the action of the immune system.  I wonder if Gurley would be a candidate for something like that.  NSAIDS wreck your kidneys if you're on them too long and steroiods are a no no in the NFL, so the choices are limited.

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Arthritis is an autoimmune disease.  Your immune system is attacking your joints.  There are lots of medications being prescribed now to control it - drugs like Humira.  They suppress the action of the immune system.  I wonder if Gurley would be a candidate for something like that.  NSAIDS wreck your kidneys if you're on them too long and steroiods are a no no in the NFL, so the choices are limited.

At his age, it’s unusual to get a isolated monoarthritis only in his knee. The most likely scenario is that he has a post-traumatic arthritis, which is much more common and is likely restricted to 1 joint. That said, he may have arthritis in other joints that are not being  disclosed. Either way, the treatment for these conditions is very different. Post-traumatic arthritis is not treated with Humira as it usually self-resolves or resolved via corticosteroid injections into the knee capsule. The steroid used in inflammatory conditions are not the same as anabolic steroids. They are permitted for use. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

At his age, it’s unusual to get a isolated monoarthritis only in his knee. The most likely scenario is that he has a post-traumatic arthritis, which is much more common and is likely restricted to 1 joint. That said, he may have arthritis in other joints that are not being  disclosed. Either way, the treatment for these conditions is very different. Post-traumatic arthritis is not treated with Humira as it usually self-resolves or resolved via corticosteroid injections into the knee capsule. The steroid used in inflammatory conditions are not the same as anabolic steroids. They are permitted for use. 

So we shouldn't write off a 2018 NFL MVP candidate just yet?

To me, this was as lucky a run as the Pats had during their reign. 

They won against KC because of an Offside, and wouldn’t have been close if Hunt was playing.

Then, the Rams get a gifted win in the NFCCG, taking out the one team that wouldn’t have been overwhelmed by the big lights of the SB.  And their one chance to win that game is injured.

This season was such a drag.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

That's one form of arthritis - rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease.  Arthritis is actually a catch-all term used to describe joint problems caused by (no jive) more than 100 causes.  The most common is osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis.

Arthritis is a funny thing - some people are diagnosed by x-ray as having quite a severe degree, but have few actual symptoms.  Others with the same or a lesser degree can barely move.  Not entirely clear why, except that the degree of use or abuse of the joint and overall cartilage health play into it.

You're speaking of anabolic steroids as a no-no.  The steroids that would be used to treat Gurley's knee are corticosteroids and OK with the NFL.

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

I know right?

Potentially the game of your career and you can't go because you have "arthritis" in your knee.

I have arthritis in my whole body - that is what 2 Tylenols and doing some warm ups is meant to take care of till they find a cure 

To be fair to Gurley, he probably has arthritis caused by his prior injury, and he may have been experiencing joint locking.  I'm sure he took something a bit stronger than tylenols - corticosteroid and toradol (a very powerful NSAID) injections were probably used, and he was seen on the bike a lot trying to work himself loose - but if the knee keeps locking, he could potentially blow out the joint completely.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's one form of arthritis - rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease.  Arthritis is actually a catch-all term used to describe joint problems caused by (no jive) more than 100 causes.  The most common is osteoarthritis or degenerative arthritis.

Arthritis is a funny thing - some people are diagnosed by x-ray as having quite a severe degree, but have few actual symptoms.  Others with the same or a lesser degree can barely move.  Not entirely clear why, except that the degree of use or abuse of the joint and overall cartilage health play into it.

You're speaking of anabolic steroids as a no-no.  The steroids that would be used to treat Gurley's knee are corticosteroids and OK with the NFL.

To be fair to Gurley, he probably has arthritis caused by his prior injury, and he may have been experiencing joint locking.  I'm sure he took something a bit stronger than tylenols - corticosteroid and toradol (a very powerful NSAID) injections were probably used, and he was seen on the bike a lot trying to work himself loose - but if the knee keeps locking, he could potentially blow out the joint completely.

Most of mine are injury related.

A few bad accidents, and some bone-headed injuries from the weight room back in the old days when strength coaches did not have degrees from colleges.

No pain no gain...right.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe that is the case