Maybe now the story will be told on Gurley...

LabattBlue

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

He's the most important player on your offense and he's not being used in the biggest game of the year.

If your RB is the most important player on your offense you don't have an offense. Bills fans should understand this.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So weird.

To me this game came down to the fact that the Rams are a new team with a fickle fanbase that didn't really travel for the game.  The Patriots' fans were there in droves and they were loud - it felt like a Patriots home game.  When the Rams were on offense it was loud, and it definitely impacted their ability to execute.  Couple that with the fact that they're younger and perhaps less mentally tough (specifically, players like Goff and Gurley) and the result was not surprising.

Is a coach saying that a neutral field crowd is the main reason a team won or lost?  Never expected you to say such a thing

25 minutes ago, QCity said:

If your RB is the most important player on your offense you don't have an offense. Bills fans should understand this.

Are you saying that Todd Gurley is not the most important player on the Rams offense?

My guess is it's a very painful, maybe even torn, Achilles tendon or a doctor suggesting it's going to happen.  

It has to be some outcome, that if it reaches a certain point, instantly means he's lost for an entire season.  An achilles rupture would do that.  

If it was a knee you'd see it.  If it was headaches or migraines, he probably wouldn't tolerate being under all those lights.

Maybe the Rams' coaches were just doing what many coaches (including every Bills coach in this millennium) have done against Bill Bellichcik? That is, over-think and as a result tie their own hands. You know, the classic "Bill will expect us to run the ball with Todd, so let's do something else he will never expect..."

5 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

They stopped running from 11 personnel. Gurley wasn't special until McVay started scheming for him. 

Gurley was a beast his rookie year for Fisher.  Year 2 their best WRs were Kenny Britt and Brian Quick with a rookie QB, he was facing stacked boxes all year.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly don’t think of him as an elite RB.

He faced so many 6 man fronts, more than any other RB in the league.  That’s a huge advantage.  

I of course think hes good but I wouldn’t put him in the elite category.  

NE has a strong secondary - and weren't afraid to man up woods/cooks 1x1 with gilmore.  Coupling that with double teams on the other one in man coverage, and loading the box with linemen - it was a situation where they couldn't run and PA would have no effect on their coverages.  

They needed to adjust the gameplan to something more spread out to take advantage of the matchups, force 1x1s instead of allowing them to double guys like Woods.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, klos63 said:

but he wasn't listed on the injury report. Will be interesting to find out what was going on.

Robert Woods played with a torn groin for the Bills and wasn't listed. Hogan played with torn wrist ligaments for the Bills and wasn't listed. Injury reports are a joke.

Gurley is clearly injured. Even in the Dallas game, where he put up impressive numbers, he didn't have many touches. Anderson had nearly twice as many rushes that game.

Edited by dave mcbride

18 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

His knee is messed up.... ACL injury but being used as a decoy

That's my bet

That's the story here in LA.  McCray was aware of the injury but still wanted to get something out of Gurley. This story could blow up in McV's face. There's also reports of a conflict because of this. Gurley had knee issues in college and some stated he won't last 5 years with this knee condition. Everyone is waiting for a press release within 48 hrs.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

That makes a ton of sense. There was talk that after week 1 that his knee hurt so bad he wanted to give all the guaranteed money back and stop playing. 

Then the comments from his RB coach during SB week hinted at a long term concern of managing Gurley’s workload. 

I’m moving off of him this year in fantasy, I’m going to have to keep someone else. Having your best player on a pitch count all season is going to be frustrating.