Should look familiar to Bills fans

oldmanfan

On 2/3/2019 at 10:22 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't forget Kelly called the plays. He wanted MVP even though Thurman was tearing them up. Had to run the hurry up K-gun.

The Bills D just couldn't stop OJ Anderson in the third quarter and they went from the NY Giants 25 to the Bills end zone in 13 plays that ate up most of that quarter. Thurman had the better game but Anderson got the MVP nod.  Walt Corey...

The biggest play of the game in my view was when Bruce Smith had his hand on Hostetler's wrist in the end zone and the ball was in that hand. Sacked -7 yards for a safety. Somehow, he managed not to fumble it...the NY Giants backup QB. 

32 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The Bills D just couldn't stop OJ Anderson in the third quarter and they went from the NY Giants 25 to the Bills end zone in 13 plays that ate up most of that quarter. Thurman had the better game but Anderson got the MVP nod.  Walt Corey...

The biggest play of the game in my view was when Bruce Smith had his hand on Hostetler's wrist in the end zone and the ball was in that hand. Sacked -7 yards for a safety. Somehow, he managed not to fumble it...the NY Giants backup QB. 

I feel like I still remember every minute of that  long drive.  It just got more and more frustrating.

There was one 3rd and long where about 3 Bills had a chance to make an easy tackle and couldn’t.  That extended the drive by about 3-4 minutes and probably decided the game.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Part of the reason why the Bills D couldn't stop Anderson is because the Bills offense barley possessed the ball. Giants slowed things down. Kelly still ran the hurry up.

If Kelly didn't let his ego get the best of him, he would have called more run plays, especially when the Giants had two-man fronts. TWO MAN!!!! That's an engraved invitation to run. Kelly sees it as a challenge that he wouldn't back down from.

Ego and partying cost us that championship.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Part of the reason why the Bills D couldn't stop Anderson is because the Bills offense barley possessed the ball. Giants slowed things down. Kelly still ran the hurry up.

If Kelly didn't let his ego get the best of him, he would have called more run plays, especially when the Giants had two-man fronts. TWO MAN!!!! That's an engraved invitation to run. Kelly sees it as a challenge that he wouldn't back down from.

Conversely you could argue that it was exactly because Kelly wasn’t afraid to still throw it that the Giants did not stack the box, thus allowing Thurman the run bursts that he had, including on even the final FG drive to get the Bills in FG range. So what if Thurman was given the ball every play—you don’t think that BB wouldn’t have made the simple adjustment of loading the box? It’s still important to have balance and given that the Bills D couldn’t get off the field, the Bills O was pressing in order to put up points. Not saying that was the right or wrong thing, it just is what it is. Had the kick gone through, then it’s an academic argument, and BB instead of getting a game plan in the HOF, winds up being the next Wade Phillips of close but not close enough that day. And Kelly is then also lauded for the play selection. 

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

OJ Anderson, well last his prime and Jeff Hostetler.....

*****!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Conversely you could argue that it was exactly because Kelly wasn’t afraid to still throw it that the Giants did not stack the box, thus allowing Thurman the run bursts that he had, including on even the final FG drive to get the Bills in FG range. So what if Thurman was given the ball every play—you don’t think that BB wouldn’t have made the simple adjustment of loading the box? It’s still important to have balance and given that the Bills D couldn’t get off the field, the Bills O was pressing in order to put up points. Not saying that was the right or wrong thing, it just is what it is. Had the kick gone through, then it’s an academic argument, and BB instead of getting a game plan in the HOF, winds up being the next Wade Phillips of close but not close enough that day. And Kelly is then also lauded for the play selection. 

Thurman had only 15 carries. He still got 135 yards. That's 9 ypc.  You know how mad we get when we don't use our best players?

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Thurman had only 15 carries. He still got 135 yards. That's 9 ypc.  You know how mad we get when we don't use our best players?

BB is known for taking away your best weapon. He picked Kelly and the passing game, but we had another option. We just refused to use it. Thurman should have been SB MVP.  The more talented team got outsmarted. 

But then, if not for a few missed tackles, they still win that game. Ball bounces wrong sometimes.....too often in our case. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hear ya. But interesting that of the 55 total plays run by the Bills, the run/pass ratio ended up being 30 pass, 25 rushes. They basically matched the Giants in total yards (371 to 386) even with the Giants running 71 plays. But yes, at the end of the day Thurm should’ve gotten fed more, I don’t really disagree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXV

18 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Respectfully, I think he out coached Kelly and Ted Marchibroda in XXV.

I remember the 3rd quarter was like going to the dentist.  We had 8 pro bowlers to their 6.  Comparing the 26 man roster, we had probably 20 better players.  Too much partying led to fatigue of our tacklers in 3rd quarter.  I bet Bill's defense was tucked in and snoring when the clock struck 12 on Sat night;  whereas, Marv's approach was that he would not try to control grown men.  Also, of all the SBs, we must admit that Bill was the smartest man on the field that night.  History validates since then.  One final note.  While many conclude that we were better team, comparing strength of schedule, ours was far easier, and Giants played tougher teams tougher.  They definitely played tougher than night.  Ask Andre Reed.  Maybe they were really just  1 point better at the end.  Instead of excuses, I tip my hat to the tougher team and smarter coach.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

I remember the 3rd quarter was like going to the dentist.  We had 8 pro bowlers to their 6.  Comparing the 26 man roster, we had probably 20 better players.  Too much partying led to fatigue of our tacklers in 3rd quarter.  I bet Bill's defense was tucked in and snoring when the clock struck 12 on Sat night;  whereas, Marv's approach was that he would not try to control grown men.  Also, of all the SBs, we must admit that Bill was the smartest man on the field that night.  History validates since then.  One final note.  While many conclude that we were better team, comparing strength of schedule, ours was far easier, and Giants played tougher teams tougher.  They definitely played tougher than night.  Ask Andre Reed.  Maybe they were really just  1 point better at the end.  Instead of excuses, I tip my hat to the tougher team and smarter coach.

Root canal delivered by Thurman was also his loss of helmet for the Skins SB first series and fumbling away what was a surprisingly good situation in one of the Dallas losses

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hey, I agree that Kelly was part of the reason for that loss. All through those "hurry up" offensive years, Thurman Thomas was 75% of the offense. The Bills actually ran the ball more then they threw it most of those glory years.

Another problem as I see it was that this team was so used to dominating by putting up quick scores and then siccing Bruce Smith on the opposing QB. So what we all saw was what happens when that opponent decides to run the ball down your throat to keep your offense on the sidelines? 

NT Jeff Wright, 6'2'' 274lbs...can that be right? LDE Leon Seals 6'5'' 265lbs. RDE Bruce Smith 6'4'' 262lbs. Talk about smaller, faster...it's no wonder they could rush the passer and couldn't stop the run! 

Funny thing is the Bills beat the NYG at their stadium 17-13 in week 13 with both starting QBs getting injured and knocked out of the game. Giants starting RB Rodney Hampton rushed 21 times for 105 yards in that game. Soooo, in that SB it was the Giants backup RB too. 

9 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Great post.  One reminder, though, we did beat them in New York during the season.  Maybe would have taken them more seriously had we lost.

• Awesome! (+1) 1