Non-call affected Super Bowl too

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Officials for the most part were OK. 

But 3 pretty bad calls. No surprise, all were key calls, and all went against the Rams. 

1)Roughing on NRC. Guy made a tackle and his helmet bumped up against the RB. Bogus call. 

2). Holding on Rams center leading to 30 yd loss. Guy wasn't holding at all.  The Pats DT turned and fell. 

3). Hands to the face on Rams DL. Yeah, his hands were in the guy's face. The guy who had clamped onto his jersey and wouldn't let go. Should have been holding. 

This was my thoughts also, and to add, regarding the OP in this thread: throughout the regular season this year, we've seen defensive PI called with less contact, but both PI and Holding are highly subjective calls, and in my opinion, the inconsistency from game to game, or even within the same game, is astounding.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

PI should have been called on Gilmore but that was a tough one to see.  Especially when Cooks gets the ball all the way to his body.  

But the refs let Donald slam Brady into the turf in the first half and no call was made.  The Rams shat the game away.  The refs called a good game.  

Overall, I believe this was officiated very well. What’s mentioned above is something I liked: both teams hit the QB’s after the pass was out and it wasn’t called. That was a major departure from the way games were called during the season. 

Cooks just needs to catch the ball.

The difference in the game is that Gronk made the big catch for the Pats and Cooks dropped his. Reverse those two plays and we’re likely celebrating a Pats loss.

Edited by MDH

I though the refs were okay. I thought they allowed a few late hits on Goff, he was getting smashed. But I like when the refs let them play, and for the most part they did. I usually get mad when the Pats win, and while I was disappointed, the Rams did not deserve to win the game. Super vanilla, no Gurley, not aggressive, and Goff was overwhelmed. They should have used Dante Fowler more as well because he was getting some pressure there. Hate the Pats, but the Rams did not deserve to win. They laid an egg. Saints should have been in the game anyway. 

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Refs were fine this game

The holding call on the Rams center was bad, negated a big play.  And no one would have said a word if the defenseless receiver flag wasn't thrown on NRC, maybe the right call by the letter of the law, but in reality a good football play.  Other than that, nothing worth noting...

The hold on the Gurley run after the Rams tied it and finally had momentum tells it all TBH.

People can deny all they want, but this stuff is the hallmark of Pats games. 

I would love to just be in awe of greatness, but I always come away with a sour taste in my mouth because of things like this that always seem to happen when playing NE. And it’s even worse in Foxboro.

Everyone can believe what they want. I have seen more than enough evidence to tell me what I need to know.

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Stop your whining, there's holding on every play.  You need to find something a lot better than that to complain about.

Unless you are the Patriots oline, with no Pro Bowlers I might add. No holding calls against Bosa(6 sacks in 7 gms) and Ingram, Chiefs league leading sack defense(52 sacks) and no calls against Donald(20 sacks), Suh and co.

Brady was sacked once in 125 drop backs in the postseason, going against those guys and not having all pros on the oline, yeah I have to believe there was a lot of holding going on were the refs just looked the other way. 

If holding can be called on every play then NE surely didn't get called, 10 yard holding penalties directly change the play calls and do affect the game whether its in the 1st or 4 qtr.   

Just now, pop gun said:

Unless you are the Patriots oline, with no Pro Bowlers I might add. No holding calls against Bosa(6 sacks in 7 gms) and Ingram, Chiefs league leading sack defense(52 sacks) and no calls against Donald(20 sacks), Suh and co.

Brady was sacked once in 125 drop backs in the postseason, going against those guys and not having all pros on the oline, yeah I have to believe there was a lot of holding going on were the refs just looked the other way. 

If holding can be called on every play then NE surely didn't get called, 10 yard holding penalties directly change the play calls and do affect the game whether its in the 1st or 4 qtr.   

Great observation there, sir.

I completely agree.

The naive will tell you the Pats Oline is just that great, but the truth is they get help. They got it last night, too.

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Just telling the truth

People can call you a whiner or whatever, the truth and facts point to these type of calls happening all the time.

Most of these calls benefit the better team.

Example: Your example.

Play before, Pats get a defensive holding call at an important time. Next play Rams have a very nice run, then the flag comes flying

out. A fictitious hold. A truly mediocre even up call. That’s what officials do to impact a game.

When the Bills were SB caliber they benefitted from a lot of iffy calls. That’s the way it’s always been,it’s not right but that’s what happens.

The Rams shouldn’t have been in the SB anyway. I’m fairly certain the Saints would have played a better game.

Edited by dlonce

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

The bottom line is, Gilmore held Cook's arm which allowed him not to get his other hand up to catch it. It was even brought up by Romo. Gilmore also never looked back for the ball. If it's called PI like it should have been, it would have been first and goal at the 1. Plain and simple

Plain and simple whining!

Again there can be calls every play if you'd like.

I recall back in the 90's people in Western NY who were not Bills fans always complaining about how obnoxious Bills fans were and how they'd get all the calls in their favor.

Now the shoe's on the other foot as they say!

10 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Well holding (illegal contact) is five yards and ten not first and goal but I thought it was an ok no call 

overall I thought it was a well officiated game

If you're gonna try and criticize someone's look at the rules, at least be right. Holding (illegal contact) can only happen before the ball is thrown. The holding off the arm in the end zone is PI by definition. 

I agree that it's an ok non call. I wouldn't have called it either. Mostly well officiated game, some misses and a truly terrible holding call on the O line that stalled a good Rams drive.

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hogan was even more useless. Whenever the ball was thrown to him he was usually blanketed. Edelman was the only receiver who was able to get open while  Gronk made a few very critical catches. Gronk made some key blocks in the running game. 

Good post. Hogan, who is a decent player, didn't have a great game and simply couldn't get open. I think that Phillips did something really smart: he appeared to decide to take away Hogan completely, knowing that you can't take away everyone and that Hogan would be easier to take away than Edelman. By taking Hogan out (e.g., putting an elite cover guy - Peters - on him), the Pats had no deep game. Everything was underneath, which works fine until you get to the opponent's 30 yard line.

Incidentally, Gronk, who had a great game, has now played in 16 postseason games -- a full season. Factor that in when thinking about the wear and tear he has accumulated. In those 16 games, he has 81 catches for 1,163 yards and 12 TDs -- basically, an all pro-level season. 

Re: the Gilmore non-call, that was good defense by Gilmore. That sort of subtle arm bar happens all of the time and is never called if it's not flagrant, which that one clearly wasn't. It was a good play by him. 

Edited by dave mcbride

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

The former Buffalo Bill was outstanding in this game. If a ball were to be awarded for the defensive player of the game I would have given it to him. 

Gilmore or NRC? I thought the Pats secondary was dominant (as they are EVERY year! Minus the self sabotage from Butler last year- and a loss! Take notes ppl). 

But I loved NRC blowing up that one screen early, even though it was called for defenseless WR. I mean I guess it was but cmon.. it's NRC. Pats dude was fine lol.

Don't see how NRC couldn't have been our servicable slot corner. He's a gamer good at a certain part of the game. I guess we have someone promising in the wings.. maybe it's Taron Johnson at slot? Loved that dude.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Good post. Hogan, who is a decent player, didn't have a great game and simply couldn't get open. I think that Phillips did something really smart: he appeared to decide to take away Hogan completely, knowing that you can't take away everyone and that Hogan would be easier to take away than Edelman. By taking Hogan out (e.g., putting an elite cover guy - Peters - on him), the Pats had no deep game. Everything was underneath, which works fine until you get to the opponent's 30 yard line.

Incidentally, Gronk, who had a great game, has now played in 16 postseason games -- a full season. Factor that in when thinking about the wear and tear he has accumulated. In those 16 games, he has 81 catches for 1,163 yards and 12 TDs -- basically, an all pro-level season. 

Re: the Gilmore non-call, that was good defense by Gilmore. That sort of subtle arm bar happens all of the time and is never called if it's not flagrant, which that one clearly wasn't. It was a good play by him. 

Gronk in my view is a first ballot HOF player. The injuries have taken a toll on him but he is a gamer. He had two big catches that influenced the game. One was a pass where he feigned that he was blocking but leaked out for pass where he added yardage for a critical first down. Without a doubt the catch that he made that brought the team to the goal line for a soon to be running score was one of the biggest plays in the game. Gronk is an ultimate team guy. He'll do anything to help his team win. You will never here him complain how he is not so important any longer to the game plan. What he demonstrated this year is that although his receiving stats are down he arguably is one of the best blocking TEs in the game. 

• Like (+1) 1