Defense wins championships

aristocrat

7 minutes ago, NFLBighits said:

Refs n League can win you a championship;) neither team belonged in the big game, on a true note yes it definitely helps. Quarterback plain and simple and thank God we finally hope we have one in Josh!

Fixed it for you. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tonight was on McVay. 100%. Pure and simple. His gamplan sucked. His play calling sucked. His adjustments sucked. Of anything Goff was held back tonight by a complete coaching bottle job. McVay was like a deer in headlights. He froze. 

Fixed, fixed i say !! ;)

3 hours ago, Les Vegetables said:

It seems like it depends on the time of season for defenses to dominate. The refs throw a lot of unnecessary flags in the regular season (especially early weeks) that heavily favors the offense. The playoffs prove to be the opposite, as we’ve seen multiple non-call situations that give the defenses the edge and opportunity to play aggressive. I have no stats to back this up and I’m in favor of letting the players play, just observations from watching games. 

Refs should always stay this invisible. The offenses would catch up and wouldn't be so low scoring.

11 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Defense CAN win championships...but in todays NFL...it usually doesn't.  One or two great defensive performance in the last decade do not prove defense wins championships.

Except it’s happened a LOT more than that over the last decade.  Pats this year along with Broncos, Seahawks, Giants twice, and Ravens..and that’s just off the top of my head. 

10 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

6 of the last 10 winning superbowl teams before tonight scored over 30.  6 of the last 11 including tonight.  6 of 11 beats 5 of 10.

Someone else did the research on this (read it online, I'll try to find the article to link) but of the recent superbowls...the winning team more often than not had a higher league rank in offense than they did in defense.  I'm not sure how far back the study goes, which is why I'll try to find the article.

That’s not how you gauge this at all.  For example, the 2013 Broncos set all the NFL scoring records and then got blown out 41-8 by defensive monster Seahawks.  You’re counting that as if offense was more important and not the fact that the Legion of Boom shut down the greatest offense in NFL history allowing just 8 points.  

You guys are inaccurately presenting your “facts” and miscrediting things as a result.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

When was the last time a number one offense won the super bowl? 

Year Team Offensive Ranking Defensive Ranking
1993 Cowboys 2 6
1994 49ers 1 6
1995 Cowboys 1 9
1996 Packers 1 2
1997 Broncos 1 6
1999 Rams 1 2
2001 Patriots 7 6
2004 Patriots 5 4
2005 Steelers 6 4
2010 Packers 8 1
2013 Seahawks 9 1
2014 Patriots 3 8
2016 Patriots 5 1
2017 Eagles 4 4

10 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

You have already seen the all 22?

The play calling was a freakin joke , I know Goff missed couple of opportunities but for ALL THE PRAISE that McOYWAY been getting as some kind of ( God like ) when it comes to offense , BB just proved that defenses still win SB’s , well bottom line he GOT schooled and is back to earth NOW !!!

( me personally) What really hurts now is that NO Call against the Saints, should have been Brees playing in this SB I’m sure it would have been more entertaining , 

Edited by Putin

After watching patriots** in this playoffs & SB run ,  

im sure we can all agree on > while we start building our offense ( in this offseason) we should/must  keep on upgrading our defense especially in the trenches , 

• Like (+1) 2

This is typical American, circa 2019, where everything is a black or white dichotomy. Here in WNY's football conversation, this is lead by the regurgitators at WGR55, who read what other people say and then say that. The analytics are focused, at least as these fools portray it, on offense and throwing the football and of course, going for it on 4th. And so you MJST have an offense that throws it all the time lead by a QB with a high completion percentage. So the hypocritical irony is the same people on the radio and elsewhere who complain about copycat football are advocated for exactly that for their team, whichever it is. So the model everyone wants today is a young QB on his rookie deal who can sling the ball around to weapons everywhere and then use the remaining salary for keeping you good vets and select FA expenditures, preferably on offense first. In the last two years, this approach is best exemplified by the Rams and Eagles. 

But here's the point that everyone either misses or chooses to ignore. Coaching and talent win over the long haul. Not a team focused on one side of the ball. Patriots are the proof. They've been in 4 of the last 5 Super Bowls. They've won three. And they've won it with bad defense and good defense.They've won against tough defenses (Rams) and not so tough defenses (Falcons).

Best coach ever with the best QB ever and it's proven a deadly combination because what they've proven and other teams trying to be the hot new things with the hot new idea is that everyone is chasing them with bad ideas. That team schemes for the opponent every week. They don't run the same game plan week in and week out with the old "We're going to establish the run" approach. They attack the matchups and the weaknesses. And they do it with a highly intelligent, focused, just-win QB who, despite the hatred here, goes out there are refuses, and I think this is the key, refuses to play hero ball. He takes what's given to move the chains. Imagine if QBs regarded as "all time greats" had Brady's mentality rather than the stat sheet mentality.... looking at you Marino and Kelly.  

Apparently the game winning TD was a package of plays they didn't even have in the book for the game. How well is a team coached that they can roll out, in a Super Bowl, a drive of plays that players didn't even practice.

Continue to be amazed watching the Pats eat up teams in the twilight of Brady's career. Saddened that he's in the Bills' division and looks like he'll be good for a few more years.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Maybe now everyone who wants an offense minded coach instead of McDermott will quiet down?  You can win both ways in the NFL.  I kept trying to picture Allen and our O-line on that stage playing that pass rush.  It would have been a beat down.  That game really helps me get excited about improving both lines then getting weapons.  

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Year Team Offensive Ranking Defensive Ranking

1999 Rams 1 2

Remind me .......   Was that the season 

ALL THE TAPES WERE DESTROYED? 

I've also mentioned that no Team that has lead the league in Passing Wards has ever won the SB.  (You can have the most passing yards and not be the top scoring team) 

53 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

NONE of the 11 highest scoring teams in NFL history have won the Super Bowl...  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

14 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

And everyone is looking for the next Mcvay...  he got schooled big time tonight.  

Or Jared Goff was just really really bad.

Missed a wide open Cooks for A TD.

Skipped throws, couldnt handle a blitz.

might as well been EJ MAnuel back there.

17 hours ago, Dopey said:

out of the last 14 super bowls, 8 time the loser has been held to 17 points or under. 8 of 14 beats 6 of 11. 

8 of 14 doesn't matter. I don't feel good going back more than 10 years....and even maybe not even 10. The rules of the league and general point totals have changed so much that the farther back you go, the less the numbers matter.

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except it’s happened a LOT more than that over the last decade.  Pats this year along with Broncos, Seahawks, Giants twice, and Ravens..and that’s just off the top of my head. 

That’s not how you gauge this at all.  For example, the 2013 Broncos set all the NFL scoring records and then got blown out 41-8 by defensive monster Seahawks.  You’re counting that as if offense was more important and not the fact that the Legion of Boom shut down the greatest offense in NFL history allowing just 8 points.  

You guys are inaccurately presenting your “facts” and miscrediting things as a result.  

Funny thing is...I think YOU are presenting your 'facts' and miscrediting things on your side of the argument.

You cherrypicked  the 2013 Broncos as an example.How about the Eagles last year who had the 3rd ranked offense? The pats the year before with Brady near his statistical peak? Or the Pats in 2015 that were also near the top in Offense?  The FACT that the majority of recent superbowl winners were led by likely Hall of Fame QBs with Offensive units that were ranked in the top 10 in the league?

If you want to break this argument down to is most simple form...7 of the last 10 superbowls were played and won with well above average scoring (compared to the rest of the league) by more teams ranked higher in offense than defense.

This year the top 5 defenses in the League were the Bears, Ravens Titans, Texans and Jags.  Top offenses were Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Pats, and Colts.  Last nights SB was one of the very, VERY few examples of a low scoring game, but certainly the Best D-units in the game don't near get as far as the top offense unites.

Edited by mjd1001