Defense wins championships

aristocrat

18 hours ago, Steptide said:

I feel like if the saints played in this game, they woulda won by 30

Cant say. For one Pats would have a completely different game plan. Saints also dont have Suh and Donald. Pats would have put up more points as well.

You cant "what if" something that never happened.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

8 of 14 doesn't matter. I don't feel good going back more than 10 years....and even maybe not even 10. The rules of the league and general point totals have changed so much that the farther back you go, the less the numbers matter.

Funny thing is...I think YOU are presenting your 'facts' and miscrediting things on your side of the argument.

You cherrypicked  the 2013 Broncos as an example.How about the Eagles last year who had the 3rd ranked offense? The pats the year before with Brady near his statistical peak? Or the Pats in 2015 that were also near the top in Offense?  The FACT that the majority of recent superbowl winners were led by likely Hall of Fame QBs with Offensive units that were ranked in the top 10 in the league?

If you want to break this argument down to is most simple form...7 of the last 10 superbowls were played and won with well above average scoring (compared to the rest of the league) by more teams ranked higher in offense than defense.

This year the top 5 defenses in the League were the Bears, Ravens Titans, Texans and Jags.  Top offenses were Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Pats, and Colts.  Last nights SB was one of the very, VERY few examples of a low scoring game, but certainly the Best D-units in the game don't near get as far as the top offense unites.

Last years final four teams were ranked 1, 2, 4 and 5 in points allowed per game.

Your own argument isn’t holding water still.

Lets add in the top 2 offenses of all time Broncos and Pats both lost the SB to defensive teams and were outsourced a combine 58-21.  

Top 5 offenses in NFL history, zero super bowl wins and only 3 reached it.  

Not to mention this year, high powered Rams scored 3 points.  

Most prolific passing game in SB history...Brady last year with over 500 yards.  Still Lost.  

I could go on and on, but you and I both know it won’t matter.  

They use to say defense wins championships & you need a strong running game to play in the play offs & go to a championship but today they say that these are no longer true in order to win .

I'm calling BS ! If you look at the last few SB Champions what are the things they need to win a above average QB (good passing game) a top 10 defense (you have to stop the other team from scoring) & even though they say RB's are a dime a dozen & they aren't as high touted as they use to be just look at what the Bills went through this season with virtually no running game .

Last year the Eagles had Blount & a formidable running game, the year before the Patriots had Blount & a really good running game, this year the Pats again had a really good O line & a really good or above average running game when they needed it so as far as i'm concerned the "Experts" can piss off because if you ain't got a good running game you ain't got S**T ...

Which goes along with the thought that defense wins championships ! With out all 3 pieces of a team playing good you won't even sniff the play offs !! MPO ...

On 2/3/2019 at 10:36 PM, Les Vegetables said:

It seems like it depends on the time of season for defenses to dominate. The refs throw a lot of unnecessary flags in the regular season (especially early weeks) that heavily favors the offense. The playoffs prove to be the opposite, as we’ve seen multiple non-call situations that give the defenses the edge and opportunity to play aggressive. I have no stats to back this up and I’m in favor of letting the players play, just observations from watching games. 

You may have something here. In these close game those flags matter. 

Someone should compare how the the Rams KC game was officiated to this Super Bowl... bet it’s a there is a big disparity in DPI, IC, DH etc. 

Seahawks in their hay day alluded to this. 

My theory is offense tends to get you to the big games. Better regular season record, division titles, first round bye's and therefore more often than not to the conference title games and Super Bowl. But once you are at the super bowl, the team with the better defense tends to win with more regularity. But typically speaking, both teams will have top 10 offenses or even better.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

19 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

My theory is offense tends to get you to the big games. Better regular season record, division titles, first round bye's and therefore more often than not to the conference title games and Super Bowl. But once you are at the super bowl, the team with the better defense tends to win with more regularity. But typically speaking, both teams will have top 10 offenses or even better.

and that's really the thing...neither of these teams even sniffs the dance without a potent office.

For years, the Rams have had a pretty talented D. But they rarely had a winning record, much less a ticket to the dance.

Without a potent offense capable of racking up points...the Pats don't get past the Chiefs, if they even get that far.

It took an offense capable of putting up 37 against a team that put up 31..in a half.

As it applies to the Bills...well, lol, it shouldn't have to be said..but you're getting nowhere with a 30th ranked offense. At best, even with a good D, you're looking at Jeff Fisherville. Or the Bills for the past 19 years.

And if the "defense wins championships" war cry is going to be used to prioritize the D over the O in the talent collection department...well, you're not getting very far up from that number 30 ranking.

What was witnessed Sunday was Belichick out coaching a far younger and less experienced coach, and shutting down a young, relatively inexperienced QB.

He's never done THAT before.

The title of this thread should probably be, "Belichick wins champions".

As much as I hate it, he does.

You need an offense to get there. I would say - Defense can win in the playoffs or defense can win one game. But over the stretch of 16 games you need at a minimum an above average offense. Just ask TEN and JAC. Both had solid defenses that were good statistically but Offenses that could not keep up over a season. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:57 AM, Gugny said:

Year Team Offensive Ranking Defensive Ranking
1993 Cowboys 2 6
1994 49ers 1 6
1995 Cowboys 1 9
1996 Packers 1 2
1997 Broncos 1 6
1999 Rams 1 2
2001 Patriots 7 6
2004 Patriots 5 4
2005 Steelers 6 4
2010 Packers 8 1
2013 Seahawks 9 1
2014 Patriots 3 8
2016 Patriots 5 1
2017 Eagles 4 4

I think this settles it.  Well rounded teams win championships!!!

Thanks Gugny. Go Mets!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

8 of 14 doesn't matter. I don't feel good going back more than 10 years....and even maybe not even 10. The rules of the league and general point totals have changed so much that the farther back you go, the less the numbers matter.

Funny thing is...I think YOU are presenting your 'facts' and miscrediting things on your side of the argument.

You cherrypicked  the 2013 Broncos as an example.How about the Eagles last year who had the 3rd ranked offense? The pats the year before with Brady near his statistical peak? Or the Pats in 2015 that were also near the top in Offense?  The FACT that the majority of recent superbowl winners were led by likely Hall of Fame QBs with Offensive units that were ranked in the top 10 in the league?

If you want to break this argument down to is most simple form...7 of the last 10 superbowls were played and won with well above average scoring (compared to the rest of the league) by more teams ranked higher in offense than defense.

This year the top 5 defenses in the League were the Bears, Ravens Titans, Texans and Jags.  Top offenses were Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Pats, and Colts.  Last nights SB was one of the very, VERY few examples of a low scoring game, but certainly the Best D-units in the game don't near get as far as the top offense unites.

Sorry, I haven't gone back to take every word in context .....  hopefully I am on the right track 

These "factoids" are a wonderful thing and you have to read carefully. 

THE team that lead the NFL in Points (not the other top 4 teams) or THE QB that lead the NFL in passing yards and not the top QBs in passing yards, (not the other top 4 QB's).

5 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

I think this settles it.  Well rounded teams win championships!!!

Thanks Gugny. Go Mets!!

Cheaters may win, but in my book 

they will always be losers