Netflix Original Documentary: Abducted in Plain Sight

Nextmanup

This documentary came up in another thread and I watched it last night.

It's about 90 minutes long but it could have been a lot longer, as it's quite a story and filled with intricate plot twists.

Who has seen it!?  I was just blown away by this, and there is so much to talk about. 

On 2/4/2019 at 10:01 PM, Patrick_Duffy said:

I thought the girls parents were really, really stupid. I shook my head in amazement of the stupidity of them.

I just watched it.

They were amazingly naive and gullible. Holy *****.

I understand it was a different time, a different era, but that's no excuse for allowing this guy to repeatedly see their daughter, even after incidents had already taken place.

I wanna know what the Berchtold wife's story is. Had she been manipulated by this guy since a young age? How were his own children affected? It sounded like he had his own kids.

His brother was hilarious. The guy just seemed so amused by it all.

SMH. Don't trust anybody around your kids, period. My wife and I decided a long time ago for instance, that we won't let them go to friends' houses for sleepovers, no matter how long we've known the other parents, etc. It's just not worth the risk people! Protecting your family is your #1 job as a parent, and there just aren't any shortcuts.  

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I just watched it.

I understand it was a different time, a different era, but that's no excuse for allowing this guy to repeatedly see their daughter, even after incidents had already taken place.

I wanna know what the Berchtold wife's story is. Had she been manipulated by this guy since a young age? How were his own children affected? It sounded like he had his own kids.

Exactly. The guy says he has mental problems and his therapist says the only treatment is for me to sleep with your 12 yr old daughter, and the father with his dumbass says, ok, I don't have a problem with that.

Then later on, the father gives the guy an old fashioned in the car because the guy says he was down and fed up with his wife.The whole thing was just absolutely stunning to the point where it got hard for me to believe it was a real story.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I just watched it.

I loved the brother too.  Right off the bat, he was like "Oh I always knew my brother was a pervert and a pedophile!" or whatever...

No doubt, the parents were not particularly intelligent people and they were very naive by nature.

I couldn't believe the story where the father was in the car alone with Berchtold, and Berchtold basically solicited a ***** from dad.  And so he helped him out in the car. LOL.

It was weird how he said to the camera "Can you believe I was naive enough to do it" or some such.

So, on top of everything else going on with this family, dad is a closeted homosexual and I'd bet everyone in the family, including mom, knew it...and yet he is in denial about the situation.

Obviously Berchtold picked up on this vibe and exploited that angle as well.  Interesting to note that he didn't mind a little homosexual sex in order to further his goal of getting to the daughter.

Dude was very creepy and persistent, almost astonishingly so.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

SMH. Don't trust anybody around your kids, period. My wife and I decided a long time ago for instance, that we won't let them go to friends' houses for sleepovers, no matter how long we've known the other parents, etc. It's just not worth the risk people! Protecting your family is your #1 job as a parent, and there just aren't any shortcuts.  

Not to take this is a whole nother direction, and i don't mean to tell you how to parent..but maybe take a few ganders at these sites.

http://www.freerangekids.com/

https://letgrow.org/

My now grown kids(19,18) are far from perfect..and I do mean far...but they have no fears of the world, understand responsibility, do not rely on us to do stuff they need to do...son at 17 spent his summer last year as a camp counselor, traveling the east coast a bit on free weekends.

Daughter at 19 this summer is spending 6 weeks in South Africa on a really cool internship she found on her own got her school to give her 6 credits..and yes I am worried she is going, but proud as hell she is doing it

I dunno, just take a look at those sites

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/3/2019 at 12:55 PM, Nextmanup said:

This documentary came up in another thread and I watched it last night.

It's about 90 minutes long but it could have been a lot longer, as it's quite a story and filled with intricate plot twists.

Who has seen it!?  I was just blown away by this, and there is so much to talk about. 

Well, you pretty much made me watch it.

I was, and am still, disturbed by the entire thing.

Edited by The Senator

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not to take this is a whole nother direction, and i don't mean to tell you how to parent..but maybe take a few ganders at these sites.

http://www.freerangekids.com/

https://letgrow.org/

My now grown kids(19,18) are far from perfect..and I do mean far...but they have no fears of the world, understand responsibility, do not rely on us to do stuff they need to do...son at 17 spent his summer last year as a camp counselor, traveling the east coast a bit on free weekends.

Daughter at 19 this summer is spending 6 weeks in South Africa on a really cool internship she found on her own got her school to give her 6 credits..and yes I am worried she is going, but proud as hell she is doing it

I dunno, just take a look at those sites

Thanks Plenz—I will def check them out. I didn’t mean in my original post to come across as a total helicopter parent, and I for sure want them to gain their healthy independence along the way. I just want to make sure at the same time, that all of the common sense steps that I can take to help protect them while they are young and at their most vulnerable, are taken care of. 

• Like (+1) 1

Very disturbing, but I honestly don't think I have ever laughed so hard as when the fatgher talked about giving the guy a handy lololol you can talk these people into anything.

That said, I get the feeling the parents were cool with the whole thing until the guy took her and didn't come back. I think they were going to let him have her(as insane as that sounds), and only pretrnded to care when the police became involved.

2 hours ago, CoachT said:

Very disturbing, but I honestly don't think I have ever laughed so hard as when the fatgher talked about giving the guy a handy lololol you can talk these people into anything.

That said, I get the feeling the parents were cool with the whole thing until the guy took her and didn't come back. I think they were going to let him have her(as insane as that sounds), and only pretrnded to care when the police became involved.

Me too. They were way too cool with it. 

The part that still strikes me is the father on the phone when she called from the Catholic school (after her second disappearance). He didn't sound distressed or ask any pressing questions. At least, not in the audio we were given.

He only asked if she'd talked to the pedophile recently.

Just watched last night.  Jan’s parents should both be hit in the forehead with a roofing hammer.  It was infuriating to watch.  I guess this all went down in Utah in the 70’s, so who knows what the “norm” was in crazy Mormon land.

I also want to know more about “B’s” wife and children.  They were interestingly left out of the story.

I also firmly believe that Jan’s Dad is a latent homosexual.  He really gave dude a handy in the car?  Get the ***** out of here ?

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just watched last night.  Jan’s parents should both be hit in the forehead with a roofing hammer.  It was infuriating to watch.  I guess this all went down in Utah in the 70’s, so who knows what the “norm” was in crazy Mormon land.

I also want to know more about “B’s” wife and children.  They were interestingly left out of the story.

I also firmly believe that Jan’s Dad is a latent homosexual.  He really gave dude a handy in the car?  Get the ***** out of here ?

Oh yes, Dad is definitely gay and in denial about the whole thing.  That's what I meant about the scene where he discusses the handy in the car.  He tries to dismiss it as a byproduct of him simply being gullible and an agreeable person.  Like "I was just trying to help out a friend in need."  I don't think he realizes that no heterosexual man on Earth would do that and so his gullible explanation does not fly.

LOL....

On 2/12/2019 at 6:39 PM, The Senator said:

Well, you pretty much made me watch it.

I was, and am still, disturbed by the entire thing.

Glad to see I made you watch this.  I pretty much live for really engrossing documentaries, as most films (documentaries or otherwise) are not worth watching.  I like the really good ones that come along too infrequently.

For those who also enjoy great documentaries, and if you have not already done so, I urge you to go find the "Paradise Lost" series of 3 documentaries about 3 boys wrongly accused of horrific crimes including murder in a small town in Arkansas.

There are 3 distinct films forming a series, all on the same underlying story.

They are, taken together, about as good a piece of documentary film making as I have ever seen.

Get the first one, and start watching.  Give the show 10 minutes.  If you aren't sucked in immediately, shut it off!  But be warned!  If you start watching, you'll need to see all 6.5 hours or so of content! 

Edited by Nextmanup

On 2/19/2019 at 4:06 PM, Nextmanup said:

For those who also enjoy great documentaries, and if you have not already done so, I urge you to go find the "Paradise Lost" series of 3 documentaries about 3 boys wrongly accused of horrific crimes including murder in a small town in Arkansas.

There are 3 distinct films forming a series, all on the same underlying story.

They are, taken together, about as good a piece of documentary film making as I have ever seen.

Get the first one, and start watching.  Give the show 10 minutes.  If you aren't sucked in immediately, shut it off!  But be warned!  If you start watching, you'll need to see all 6.5 hours or so of content! 

thanks for the tip!

• Like (+1) 1