Eagles to Tag Foles

Virgil

I get why, but I thought they didn’t have the money to do this?

If the intention is to trade him, and they succeed, does it matter if it puts them over the cap because they will be back under it by the deadline?

If not, then I think they’ll have to clear some space just to do this and get a trade.  

Article I read say they’d be lucky to get a 3rd rounder.  I doubt he goes for less than a 2nd and 5th. 

After the Sam Bradford trade, where they made out like bandits - Philly appears to be overvaluing its QBs. If they tag him, no team is going to pay him 20 mill AND give up draft compensation - so Phill is going to be stuck in cap hell. IMO, very dangerous move.

Coming off a SB victory and signed for cheap, no team was willing to give up a first last year. A year older and arguable worse post-season performance later, I doubt a team will give up a 2nd and pay 20 mill per.

I doubt it will come to the Tag because Foles is not going to buy out his contract for 2 mill since he will not get a 20 mill per year deal if teams are wary of the tag. 20 mill for 1 year is different from 20 mill per year new deal. Makes a world of difference for whether a team will give up draft compensation.

Edit: sry my bad. he will definitely sign the tag if offered since the tag number is higher than the buyout + 20 mill.BUt still, it is a dangerous move for philly if no team is willing to negotiate with them.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

After the Sam Bradford trade, where they made out like bandits - Philly appears to be overvaluing its QBs. If they tag him, no team is going to pay him 20 mill AND give up draft compensation - so Phill is going to be stuck in cap hell. IMO, very dangerous move.

Coming off a SB victory and signed for cheap, no team was willing to give up a first last year. A year older and arguable worse post-season performance later, I doubt a team will give up a 2nd and pay 20 mill per.

I doubt it will come to the Tag because Foles is not going to buy out his contract for 2 mill since he will not get a 20 mill per year deal if teams are wary of the tag. 20 mill for 1 year is different from 20 mill per year new deal. Makes a world of difference for whether a team will give up draft compensation.

Edit: sry my bad. he will definitely sign the tag if offered since the tag number is higher than the buyout + 20 mill.BUt still, it is a dangerous move for philly if no team is willing to negotiate with them.

QB is the mot important position and we all know that. The Eagles are actually being smart IMO with Wentz still on a rookie contract and known injury issues. What more does Foles need to prove? They are scared to let him go deservingly so. Fans and media will gut that entire FO if Wentz gets hurt again or flops.

It's a tough but great situation for Philly to be in.

I only wish our Bills had this issue since JK retired. 

Edited by Real McCoy

This makes sense in a way, Eagles get compensation, Foles can still have a say in where he goes (if they let him have it) and he can negotiate his contract with the destination team before the trade is done. The only one that loses this is the buying team who now has to give up money and compensation. (the Giants also lose because they will not have a shot at him, if they did want it.)

4 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I hope they get caught asking for too much again and get stuck with his contract this season. 

Quite likely to happen which is why the Eagles' strategy is strange given their cap situation. This appears to be a move to dissuade the Giants from signing him. Costly gamble, IMO. 

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Maybe trade Wentz ??????

Foles limitations were exposed in the playoffs this year. If he had led another stellar post-December and took the Eagles deep in the playoffs, I would think differently. But Eagles are in an odd position - Foles won a superbowl and shown himself to be a solid starter. But Wentz has been injured twice now for key stretches of the season. But purely based on talent, the Eagles should go all-in on Wentz. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

I would have thought Foles might have earned the right to go where he wanted..

Sure, but the Eagles have to run a team too and are trying to get the most compensation for his rights. May backfire on them.

3 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Apparently some team WILL or the Eagles are reasonably sure that a team WILL:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25908384/philadelphia-eagles-expected-franchise-trade-nick-foles-sources-say

It's a little risky because Philly is already over the cap for the 2019 season by about $7.5 million even after redoing safety Rodney McLeod's deal and including their carryover of about $6 million from last year...if nobody bites or simply waits til Philly has to do something to get under the cap, they could get him for less, although getting anything for him would be better tahn getting nothing, so a 4th round pick is still better than no pick.

Edited by matter2003

Jaguars are the most obvious landing spot considering DeFlippio is their offensive coordinator and worked with Foles in Philly.  Denver will also pry be in play as Foles is an upgrade to Keenum.  Both could still draft a QB this year or next year depending on how well Foles plays.  Miami is also a possibility, but I think they're intent on tanking.

6 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I hope they get caught asking for too much again and get stuck with his contract this season. 

hmm..intersting question here...just because they tag him, i would think that does not mean Foles will sign it..which I suspect he will not. Foles will want to negotiate a higher guarantee similar to Cousins deal, and signing the tag means someone could trade for him and make him play under that tag number I would think. Can you even trade a guy that is :

1) tagged but not signed

2) Playing under the tag?

New team would still have that July deadline to get a long term done I think..but because Foles already had signed the tag, he would be obligated to play under hat one year deal.

And while I think what Cousins did in regards to the tag was thought to be a good strategy for QBs, I wonder what the Alex Smith injury does to that line of thinking

Funny this was discussed on MTC with Pat Kirwan and Mills.  Pat made the argument from Foles perspective he’d want to get on the free market, but Kirwan stated why wouldn’t they pay Foles, b/c it would be a total of $24 mil towards the QB position and Weitzel was hurt the last two years even though he is dynamic.  They discussed that if Wentz keeps playing reckless with his body, they have to have an excellent back up.

we’ll see as some team that really needs a QB, will pay up like the Jags, or Dolphins, or even Tampa if Arians wants to move on from Winston.