Draft Implications with hiring Ken Dorsey, and McDermott’s “inner circle”

YoloinOhio

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-hire-ken-dorsey-nfl-draft/

Dorsey was hired last December by head coach Eliah Drinkwitz (Appalachian State) in the role of offensive assistant. I imagine Drinkwitz wanted to find some role for Dorsey because of Dorsey’s experience with mobile QBs and how to structure an offense around them. Not from a rushing sense, but from how to properly mesh the run and pass structures and how to possibly improve upon the 11-2 season.upon the 11-2 season.

In Dorsey’s few short months working at App State, he reportedly was “working on recruiting and assisting with the Mountaineers’ offensive plans.”  Drinkwitz, the former offensive coordinator and QB coach of the NC State Wolfpack, is taking over a program that ran the ball 62% of the time in 2018, and their QB, Zac Thomas, a mobile QB, pitched in 92 attempts on the ground for 504 yards and 10 touchdowns. Going from a pocket QB in Ryan Finley to a more mobile QB and dual-threat offense is quite the change.

Dorsey was the only one out of program hired directly by Drinkwitz. Dorsey reportedly attended games at App State during his coaching years at Carolina. The campus is located in Boone, North Carolina, so Dorsey was able to attend a bunch of games, seeing as how the campus was only two hours from the Panthers’ stadium.

Having coached for the Wolfpack for several years, Drinkwitz and NC State head coach Dave Doeren have crossed paths with Brandon Beane or Sean McDermott, and this is where it gets fun for draftniks

This is from last year... interesting read on McDermott’s inner circle in the college ranks 

The NC State C Bradbury would fall into this as he was coached by Doeren

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-hire-ken-dorsey-nfl-draft/

This is from last year... interesting read on McDermott’s inner circle in the college ranks 

The NC State C Bradbury would fall into this as he was coached by Doeren

Speaking of Bradbury, he looks pretty athletic, channeling his inner Kyle Williams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXyVjBWiG3s

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Sounds like a good hire.  We’ll see if JA improves this year.

....surprised they didn't grab Dorsey when Carolina let him walk.......maybe Culley had a year left on his contract.....Dorsey could be Palmerish.....lackluster NFL career but good teacher....stay tuned..............

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....surprised they didn't grab Dorsey when Carolina let him walk.......maybe Culley had a year left on his contract.....Dorsey could be Palmerish.....lackluster NFL career but good teacher....stay tuned..............

They interviewed Dorsey for OC in 2017 so he was definitely on their radar... could have been a number of factors that led to him not being here until now. I think you are right about last year and Culley contract, plus I think Culley did a good job considering the circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They interviewed Dorsey for OC in 2017 so he was definitely on their radar... could have been a number of factors that led to him not being here until now. I think you are right about last year and Culley contract, plus I think Culley did a good job considering the circumstances. 

What did you like about the job Culley did?

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

What did you like about the job Culley did?

As I referenced the circumstances - he had to coach 5 different starting QBs under 2 different offensive schemes/OCs, 4 of which were not starting caliber and one a raw rookie (Allen) who was not expected to be ready to play year 1... 2 of which who had been with the team like 10 days with no TC anywhere, right off the couch...1 of which was extremely limited (Peterman). All with different skill sets. I thought he did a good job given the circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1