Bellichick uses "Padding Games" for developing young coaches...how prevalent do you think this is league wide?

Big Turk

That type of work is often heaped upon one guy on each side of the ball: the quality control coach.

Basically, Belichick forces all of his young position coaches to go through the rigors of being a QC coach, which definitely helps establish a level of attention to detail that will be a cut above a guy that hasn't done so.

Clearly it doesn't work.  Can anyone name a single successful coach who studied under the Cheater?  Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennell, MCDanials..... they have all STUNK.

He probably does this as part of his cheating library he keeps, or just to keep them distracted from the real cheating he is doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, westside said:

Enough BB ball washing. So tired of hearing how great they are. I could care less about how his coaches are. They all seemed to suck when they go to another team. 

Like a few posters already said. They can't take TB with them when they leave. How much success would BB have with the QBs we've had the last twenty years? How many superbowls would he have won? My guess would be zero. 

I think Belichick would still have some rings without Brady. Steve Young did well after Montana thanks to his skill set and Coach Walsh. Belichick would have found someone else and plugged them in to his system. 

Could it be that Belly uses this as much as a learning tool as as a teaching tool? He not only sees what other coaches missed, but also likely sees things he missed or did not think of himself. The smartest people in history stood on the shoulders of other smart people.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Basically Bellichick requires young coaches to do something called "padding". This entails diagramming every play of every game for both aides of the ball including line splits, formations, players on the field, etc and even the movements of all the players on the play. He also requires them to answer what the offense and defense are trying to accomplish on each play as well as detailed observations. This can be grueling with a single game taking up to a few days.

To a man all the coaches credit this as "teaching" them immensely about details and what good teams do that bad teams don't etc...

Once they finish Bellichick or a senior coach looks at the reports, notes any mistakes or inaccuracies and then gives it back to them. Sometimes they are forced to do the whole game over again. Mistakes are pointed out with impunity, down to the most minute detail...sometimes that they had the wrong jersey number for a player on a given play.

Wonder how often other teams use this and even if they did, would it be as effective as Bellichick? Would they spot the mistakes in the reports and send them back for them to see what they did wrong? Would they analyze it the same way? Its said Bellichick sometimes hands it back with up to 75 post it notes all over it pointing out mistakes...

Part of what makes Bellichick so great is that he is able to see that no detail is too small, that he is able to recognize details that others dont see or don't see as important, and that he is able to convey this to his coaches and get them to see things in the same way and be on the same page.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/bill-belichicks-old-school-method-developing-coaches-starts-pencils-papers-patience-144917817.html

I don't know about how common this is.  But there's this: Typically, the team plays on Sunday.  As I understand it, they watch film on Monday, take Tuesday off, then Weds start walking through the new game plan. 

So if the assistants have to "pad" every play of the game, and it takes a few days....either they are not part of the normal film break down and game planning, or, they are doing this in the off-season, or, they are not sleeping.   Did the article say?

If you are a championship team with your pick of assistants, you can probably enforce the expectation that the assistants will work day and night, especially if that's what your HC and coordinators are doing.  If you're a bottom team, maybe not.

In the off-season I would think it would be great.

3 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Could it be that Belly uses this as much as a learning tool as as a teaching tool? He not only sees what other coaches missed, but also likely sees things he missed or did not think of himself. The smartest people in history stood on the shoulders of other smart people.

Good point, This.

18 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I accidentally read "Paddling Games"

Also, how many BB coaches have had successful HC careers so far?

They've got many rings as assistant coaches and that's pretty good for what Belichek is out to accomplish.  His job isn't to groom head coaches, it's to make his organization the best as possible. 

27 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They've got many rings as assistant coaches and that's pretty good for what Belichek is out to accomplish.  His job isn't to groom head coaches, it's to make his organization the best as possible. 

All you had to say was "Brady"

20 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Reminds me of the attention to detail approach of Rex Ryan when he was Bills Coach..

I was about to make the same comment.

astounding the similarities between Bill and Rex ... Both strong disciplinarians as well

14 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Within his system it helps them win...that's all he is concerned with

This

1 minute ago, cd1 said:

Brady is no great athlete. What he is best at is reading defenses and picking them apart.

I bet Brady utilizes this method.

Bills favorite student i can imagine.
always brought Bill a shiny fresh apple to class i bet.

21 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I think it's clear that one of the reasons the Patriots are able to cheat so frequently and effectively is because of this sort of attention to detail.

However, it may also be the reason Pats coaches that move on to other teams tend to not be as successful.  Diagramming plays for critique is a great learning tool, but a very narrow learning process.  In particular, if it's bottle-necked through Belichick, as you describe it, he's creating a sense of dependency in coaches on himself, and denying other coaches the opportunity to learn how to teach the way he does.  

Belichick pry recognizes this as well ensuring that when some coach on his staff leaves for another head coaching job in the NFL they're likely to fail.  Thus increasing the odds the Patriots continue to stay at the top of the league.

• Haha (+1) 1