It's time to draft a TE

BillsVet

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Not a priority for many decades for the Bills, lots of other needs ahead of this.

I think it is time to change that. Its bad when you miss Scott Chandler.

Daboll can make use of them. And Clay might be done
Teams have scouted out for lack of TEs lol.
Croom is half receiver. Need another in line blocker and a great chipper with hands enough for the dump off. Allen needs one of those
Logan Thomas not sure yet. but it should not be too hard to upgrade him ?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Keith McKeller aka K-gun

Natural fit as a Buffalo Bill  lol !

1 hour ago, Captain Murica said:

I'd even  go as far and say draft 2 TEs. This class is pretty deep from what the draft experts are saying. 

right after we add some picks to the second and third round 

but yes.I am serious about getting some new viable talent at TE if possible asap.
right after our Pro Bowl O line is built, bought, borrowed ? and drafted

54 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Honestly don't know about this. IMO by far and away the best TE last season was Kittle in SF- they had a mediocre offense albeit one decimated by injuries. Kelce is great and played in a great offense, but Ertz is also great and played in a mediocre one. Ebron is a good TE and played in a good offense, but Cook is also a good TE and played in a bad offense. Rams, Saints, Steelers- all top offenses that manage just fine without a top quality TE. I don't think it's a position of importance any moreso than RB to tell the truth, when you look at the distribution of the best tight ends in the league there isn't a ton of correlation between the quality of your offense and the quality of your TE. 

Tell it to KC and Philly and the Browns for that matter  (and the Pats for every year except this one).Even the Rams 2 TE's had 57 catches total. That's a decent amount of usage.  Croom is all they have as a catching option out of the position. It is nowhere near good enough.

Edited by BubbaT

49 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Honestly don't know about this. IMO by far and away the best TE last season was Kittle in SF- they had a mediocre offense albeit one decimated by injuries. Kelce is great and played in a great offense, but Ertz is also great and played in a mediocre one. Ebron is a good TE and played in a good offense, but Cook is also a good TE and played in a bad offense. Rams, Saints, Steelers- all top offenses that manage just fine without a top quality TE. I don't think it's a position of importance any moreso than RB to tell the truth, when you look at the distribution of the best tight ends in the league there isn't a ton of correlation between the quality of your offense and the quality of your TE. 

It would depend on the Offense you want to run . Daboll might see some solid talent and make better use of them than previous regimes. Allowing the package flexibility and a decent ST players as well. The comment about Bellchik style spot on. he runs a very flexible offense ,and enjoyed some very good TEs to assist the success

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Tell it to KC and Philly and the Browns for that matter  (and the Pats for every year except this one).Even the Rams 2 TE's had 57 catches total. That's a decent amount of usage.  Croom is all they have as a catching option out of the position. It is nowhere near good enough.

I fully agree, but I also think I’m higher on Croom than most people. We need to add talent, and Croom needs to learn when he’s no longer going forward to find the stinkin’ ground while holding onto the darn ball! 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Isaac Nauta out of UGA is 6’4 240. UGA did not use him much but the kid can play. Love to see him grabbed if there are second or third. I don’t want him going to Pats. Nauta will be one of those players people will ask ‘how did he last till there?’ in the draft.

What was the reason he was not used much?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think it's a position of importance any moreso than RB to tell the truth, when you look at the distribution of the best tight ends in the league there isn't a ton of correlation between the quality of your offense and the quality of your TE. 

I'd rather defend against a good RB than a TE who can make catches downfield.  And the best offensive teams are throwing to set up their running game.  

A good TE forces teams to play defense differently and Buffalo hasn't had that in years.  There will always be "needs" to address, but if we're talking about taking a RB before a TE, well, a that's 1980s mindset.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How many daughters does Pegula have??

...and then you went there Weo.

Croom does not fit our true TE needs, but could still be a useful part of the Bills offense, and I don't think his personal life, although awkward, is weighing on coaching decisions to play him or not. 

His measurables are almost identical to KB's, but he is faster and has better hands. He was the goat last year for trying to do too much on a play, but his heart was in the right place. 

His blocking is anywhere from horrifying to work-in-progress, but he can certainly line up as that big TE-sized WR hybrid that KB was supposed to be for the Bills.

I felt like he was coming on as more of a receiving option for Allen towards the end of the year.

10 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Keith McKellar?  Pete Metzalaars?  Jay Riemersma?

You think those guys were great? Look at their numbers.  Watch a guy like Kelsey, Ertz, Olsen, Gronk or Kittle. Or over the years Gates, Tony Gonzalez, Whitten, jimmy graham for a while etc. Those are just the top of the line guys. We never even had guys in the same league as an Ebron or Delaney Walker. Those guys the Bills had were barely better then Clay. There have been players Bills fans liked but no TE that was even close to excellent. We need a top line TE to grow with Allen and you are probably going to have to draft that guy early.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You think those guys were great? Look at their numbers.  Watch a guy like Kelsey, Ertz, Olsen, Gronk or Kittle. Or over the years Gates, Tony Gonzalez, Whitten, jimmy graham for a while etc. Those are just the top of the line guys. We never even had guys in the same league as an Ebron or Delaney Walker. Those guys the Bills had were barely better then Clay. There have been players Bills fans liked but no TE that was even close to excellent. We need a top line TE to grow with Allen and you are probably going to have to draft that guy early.

I guarantee the Bills will not draft a tight end on day one.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I'd rather defend against a good RB than a TE who can make catches downfield.  And the best offensive teams are throwing to set up their running game.  

A good TE forces teams to play defense differently and Buffalo hasn't had that in years.  There will always be "needs" to address, but if we're talking about taking a RB before a TE, well, a that's 1980s mindset.  

I'm not convinced that emphasizing RB over TE is an 80s mindset to tell the truth. If you take the top 5 offenses by yards (not the be-all and end-all of metrics, but they actually line up fairly well w/ PPG as well so I think they're a decent reference point) you're looking at KC, Rams, Bucs, Steelers, and New England. The Chiefs with Kelce (a top tier TE for sure) got 103 catches for 1336 yards, which is enormous production from the TE spot, but they still threw to their RBs for around 70 receptions and 700 yards, and that's without Hunt (a premier back in his own right) for 5 games. So for KC you can definitely make the argument that their TE is more important to their offense than RBs I think.

But the Rams rely on Gurley in their passing attack WAY more than their TE. The Bucs have Howard and Brate and they get good production between the two of them, but they're still throwing to Rodgers at a good clip as a receiving back. The Steelers threw at Connor/Samuels more times for more catches and more yards than McDonald, their TE1, although once you add in James' combined production at the TE position it outpaces their RBs. In New England White caught more passes for more yards and more TDs than Gronkowski. If you add in the Saints (a very solid unit offensively), Kamara is far and away more important to their offense than whichever TE they run with in terms of productivity in the pass game.

I'm not sure how often the Bucs or Steelers line up in 2 TE sets, but just going by these teams it seems to me that having TWO capable tight ends can help diversify your pass offense, but I stand by what I said about RBs playing as important if not more important a role than TEs in the best modern NFL offenses.