It's time to draft a TE

BillsVet

A negative effect of Buffalo perpetually rebuilding has been using the draft to fill needs.  New regimes typically mean the previous group's players are sent packing, and thus, need to be replaced.  Now that the Bills have settled on their QB of the future and spent tremendous assets on their defense it's time they drafted a TE.  Charles Clay is a likely cap casualty and Jason Croom doesn't seem to be starting material.  

Buffalo hasn't used a high pick (rounds 1-3) on a TE since 2005 when they selected Kevin Everett in the 3rd.  Since that time, several teams have featured TE's who create mismatches, can stretch the middle of the field, and provide Allen with a great weapon.  Most of the top offenses feature one who does just this.   

This year's draft offers some solid options and you're not going to find much in free agency.  It's time they use a 2nd or 3rd on a TE.  

• Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

A negative effect of Buffalo perpetually rebuilding has been using the draft to fill needs.  New regimes typically mean the previous group's players are sent packing, and thus, need to be replaced.  Now that the Bills have settled on their QB of the future and spent tremendous assets on their defense it's time they drafted a TE.  Charles Clay is a likely cap casualty and Jason Croom doesn't seem to be starting material.  

Buffalo hasn't used a high pick (rounds 1-3) on a TE since 2005 when they selected Kevin Everett in the 3rd.  Since that time, several teams have featured TE's who create mismatches, can stretch the middle of the field, and provide Allen with a great weapon.  Most of the top offenses feature one who does just this.   

This year's draft offers some solid options and you're not going to find much in free agency.  It's time they use a 2nd or 3rd on a TE.  

Totally agree. It's a position that is integral to most modern NFL offenses. It's time for a good one and the draft seems loaded with them.

27 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Not a priority for many decades for the Bills, lots of other needs ahead of this.

holy moly how long do you expect this rebuild to take?

16 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want the best TE in the draft and if it means round 1 then so be it. The bills have never had a truly great TE. Ever

Pete Metzelaars

But yeah, agreed that has been an empty position for a long time.

22 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want the best TE in the draft and if it means round 1 then so be it. The bills have never had a truly great TE. Ever

I'd even  go as far and say draft 2 TEs. This class is pretty deep from what the draft experts are saying. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Not a priority for many decades for the Bills, lots of other needs ahead of this.

Respectfully disagree with the low assessment. Although our QB and o-line needs have been right up there.

We focus almost too much on our smurf receiver core when a real TE would contribute to pass-pro, run-blocking, receiving mismatches downfield, and short yardage gains against press coverage.

It is the versatility of the position that makes finding a quality TE a priority. Belichick knows this and that is why NE always has some great ones on the roster.

I expect they will pick up another from this year's deep crop as well.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Totally agree. It's a position that is integral to most modern NFL offenses. It's time for a good one and the draft seems loaded with them.

Honestly don't know about this. IMO by far and away the best TE last season was Kittle in SF- they had a mediocre offense albeit one decimated by injuries. Kelce is great and played in a great offense, but Ertz is also great and played in a mediocre one. Ebron is a good TE and played in a good offense, but Cook is also a good TE and played in a bad offense. Rams, Saints, Steelers- all top offenses that manage just fine without a top quality TE. I don't think it's a position of importance any moreso than RB to tell the truth, when you look at the distribution of the best tight ends in the league there isn't a ton of correlation between the quality of your offense and the quality of your TE. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

Hmm. TE was kind of a wasteland around the league this year. There were very few TE's that produced regularly. Playing fantasy football, it was quite difficult to find a TE that produced consistently. Not sure why there was a down year at that position, but there was.

I think maybe teams are spreading the field with more 3 and 4 WR sets? Not using TE's quite as much as they used to? We'll have to see how next season goes.

In my opinion, WR is infinitely more important than TE and that is a position that must be addressed by the Bills. You can have a really good offense without a good TE, but you can't have a good offense if your WR's suck.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Honestly don't know about this. IMO by far and away the best TE last season was Kittle in SF- they had a mediocre offense albeit one decimated by injuries. Kelce is great and played in a great offense, but Ertz is also great and played in a mediocre one. Ebron is a good TE and played in a good offense, but Cook is also a good TE and played in a bad offense. Rams, Saints, Steelers- all top offenses that manage just fine without a top quality TE. I don't think it's a position of importance any moreso than RB to tell the truth, when you look at the distribution of the best tight ends in the league there isn't a ton of correlation between the quality of your offense and the quality of your TE. 

I just want out team to have 2 really good pass catchers. TEs are glorified WRs these days, that's how Gronk and Ertz and Kelce are used. So I don't care if we draft a WR or a TE in the first 2 rounds but one way or another we need players that can get open and catch the ball. That is far and away our biggest need.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Probably more to do with how well they are used in those offenses, but a good one can be something an offense can build around.

Granted the 49ers have a lot of holes...man did that defense take a dive over the past few years, but you can bet that defenses will have to game plan around Kittle (if he stays healthy) for years to come.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just want out team to have 2 really good pass catchers. TEs are glorified WRs these days, that's how Gronk and Ertz and Kelce are used. So I don't care if we draft a WR or a TE in the first 2 rounds but one way or another we need players that can get open and catch the ball. That is far and away our biggest need.

Just quick point that Gronkowski is actually being used as a decoy/blocker a ton lately to get mismatches for Pats RBs when defense goes nickel on him but other than that I tend to agree. Great TEs have mismatches all over the field, especially if they're effective blockers, but having good wideouts as someone suggested above is imo a lot more important. 

100 percent agree. We need a well rounded TE and have since Metzlaars left. Doesn’t need to put up Kelce/ Gronkowski stats but be an above average blocker and red zone threat .

if he can do that I’d be content with a Scott chandler numbers!

I like both the guys from Iowa- not at 9 but either in a trade down to mid first or trading back from the 2nd into late 1st