New Coaches Hired - QB, WR

eSJayDee

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

In theory, they could sign a UDFA to the PS and save a spot on the 53 man roster, but I understand the value of having multiple veterans around to help mentor a prize rookie.  You could also save a roster spot by teaching a real offensive lineman to long snap, but you have to have a long snapper who is good.  It's better to have a great long snapper than a mediocre one who saves you a roster spot.  BTW, Derek Anderson has already demonstrated his worth as a sounding board to Daboll, and has made contributions to the playbook.

....contract is $90K guaranteed and $90K signing bonus.....vested vet release after week 1 is on the table......so you bought some time for him/OBD to decide....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, T master said:

I'm stoked about this hire !! I believe Dorsey will be a huge get for Allens progression especially seeing as Culley had little to no QB coaching experience before he came to Buffalo, his history as a coach was mostly WR's. 

I never got that connection sure the WR's catch the ball but didn't know how a WR's coach knew about QB foot work & all the intricacies that went along with being a good QB coach .

I now don't see why they need to keep Anderson around to take up a roster spot that could be used for another position unless he will be a sounding board for Dabol & McD as far as the game plan but Dorsey one would think could be that guy too ??

Ummmmm David Culley was a D1 QB and coach he knows plenty about QB fundamentals

Dorsey is a good young hire though

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/5/2019 at 1:11 PM, T master said:

I'm stoked about this hire !! I believe Dorsey will be a huge get for Allens progression especially seeing as Culley had little to no QB coaching experience before he came to Buffalo, his history as a coach was mostly WR's. 

I never got that connection sure the WR's catch the ball but didn't know how a WR's coach knew about QB foot work & all the intricacies that went along with being a good QB coach .

I now don't see why they need to keep Anderson around to take up a roster spot that could be used for another position unless he will be a sounding board for Dabol & McD as far as the game plan but Dorsey one would think could be that guy too ??

I am happy with Dorsey as the QB coach, but...you DO realize Culley was a high-level college QB, right? His NFL coaching experience was primarily at the WR position, but his personal experience as a player was as a QB, so...

Why are people so uninformed?

• BuffaloBill unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought Derek Anderson's perspective on Ken Dorsey was pretty detailed.  Anderson played with Dorsey in Cleveland (During his best year) and then was coached by Dorsey in Carolina for 5 years (Dorsey as his position coach). 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/what-can-ken-dorsey-do-for-josh-allen-s-game

A lot of it is player-speak from a homer article but I liked the idea of position meetings being exchanges and quizzes instead of lectures.  The Bills have the QB room to make something like this work well with a coach, a mentor, a secure backup and a budding young star.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JoeF said:

Thought Derek Anderson's perspective on Ken Dorsey was pretty detailed.  Anderson played with Dorsey in Cleveland (During his best year) and then was coached by Dorsey in Carolina for 5 years (Dorsey as his position coach). 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/what-can-ken-dorsey-do-for-josh-allen-s-game

A lot of it is player-speak from a homer article but I liked the idea of position meetings being exchanges and quizzes instead of lectures.  The Bills have the QB room to make something like this work well with a coach, a mentor, a secure backup and a budding young star.

As bad as the QB "room" was to start 2018, there appears to be a complete 180-degree turnaround heading into this offseason.  Although it took a while to get there, the Bills appear to have a rock solid foundation and support system in place to help Allen become the best QB he can be.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the combine and listening to KW drop gems for young D-linemen entering the pro's gave me nightmares.

I got visions of him coaching D-line for the Colts, Raiders or Dolphins... He knows the job SO well...

I think I'd be happier with KW on the staff sooner rather than later.