New Coaches Hired - QB, WR

eSJayDee

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I actually think Allen has more upside than Cam.  I agree that Allen is more mentally focused and coachable as well.

I just thought it was interesting that when Allen came into the league that they were calling Allen "Cam Light" when it came to athletic ability

Umn......nope....Josh Allen is not "light anything" when it comes to athletic ability.......you can make the case that he needs to show refinement at the QB position itself not not in the athletic department......Josh Allen takes a back seat to nobody there.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I actually think Allen has more upside than Cam.  I agree that Allen is more mentally focused and coachable as well.

...bingo....A SLAM DUNK BUD...Scam is the first one to throw teammates under the bus and is distracted by his fedora/garb selection for "ME" pressers.....RG II 1/8 was the same "ME", and teammates were always at fault.....Kaep got caught up in success too early on and lost HIS focus with tats 'n poses.......this IS a HIGH paying big boyz game that demands game/ethic focus LONG before any "ME" garbage......Allen has LASER like focus IMO.....

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Dorsey is a decent hire, not sure about Chad Hall as WR’s coach though. Another youngster.

As a 50 year old guy, I’m good with it. Look at the Rams HC. Younger guys seem to buck the trends.

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Apart from they aren't. Can you name how many Panthers coaches we've hired?

Former Panther and FO:

Mike Tolbert, Kaelin Klay, Kelvin Bumjamin, Star Lotuleilei, Dean Marlowe, Joe Webb, Corey Brown, Leanord Johnson, Sean McDermott, Beane, Heath Farwell, Dan Morgan, Ken Dorsey, Matt Worswick. 

I'm sure I've missed some, some are obscure low level staffers, but it's pretty damn clear they play favorites with familiar faces. 

6 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Former Panther and FO:

Mike Tolbert, Kaelin Klay, Kelvin Bumjamin, Star Lotuleilei, Dean Marlowe, Joe Webb, Corey Brown, Leanord Johnson, Sean McDermott, Beane, Heath Farwell, Dan Morgan, Ken Dorsey, Matt Worswick. 

I'm sure I've missed some, some are obscure low level staffers, but it's pretty damn clear they play favorites with familiar faces. 

:thumbdown:

20 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Former Panther and FO:

I agree with you.....but I also think that some of these were legit good hires/pick ups

4 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I am pretty underwhelmed by the new hires to the coaching staff.  There were a lot of experienced assistant coaches and coordinators available after the season with all of the head coaching changes.  Were these the most qualified assistant coaches that we could hire?  Was Dorsey the best QB coach that was available to us?  At this point, I am not sure if there is anything more important to the future success of the team than Allen's development.  I also find the continuing reach back and connections to the Panthers a bit tiresome.

Like you or any other fan knows what a good positional coach hire would look like. I can see getting bent out of shape by a head coach hire or a coordinator hire, but position coaches? Cry me a river.

4 minutes ago, justpunt said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player/cameron-newton

Nothing about Newton's development suggests Dorsey can develop a  qb.   Newton is average qb and didn't improve under Dorsey. Had an MVP year but not great qbr and also had his worst qbr under Dorsey.  Completion percentage went up after Dorsey left.  Not thrilled.   

:thumbdown:

3 minutes ago, justpunt said:

Nothing about Newton's development suggests Dorsey can develop a  qb.   Newton is average qb and didn't improve under Dorsey. Had an MVP year but not great qbr and also had his worst qbr under Dorsey.  Completion percentage went up after Dorsey left.  Not thrilled.   

No matter how good of a coach you are, you will always be held back or lifted depending on the talent of the actual players. Players can only be helped to a certain point. If you don't have it, you don't have it.

Plus, Cam Newton got his team to a super bowl and was an MVP. Clearly he is a quality QB and should not be considered average. He's not. Certainly he has some short comings, like how he can't deal with adversity, but I gaurentee you that defensive coordinators stay up late figuring how they can contain him.

I love both hires - so what if they're young.  For crying out loud the LA Rams are being coached by a toddler and they're in the Super Bowl! 

But I especially liked the Dorsey hire.  My guess is this guy is looking forward to developing Allen as the kid has everything Newton had but as others have noted is a lot more coachable and willing to learn. 

As others have pointed out this is Dorsey's job to ride right to OC.  And I like when an assistant coach has that kind of professional motivation to succeed.  He'll work just as  hard as Allen, which is saying something, in the off season to get this right.  Should be fun to see the energy these two young coaches bring to the offense. 

5 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Buffalo Panthers.

Hopefully he's a good coach but these guys are continually biased towards their Carolina connections and it's not even a secret..

This is getting a little ridiculous don't they know anybody from the other 30 teams?  Obsessive

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

Former Panther and FO:

McDermott and Beane didn't hire themselves...

Trying to make something out of nothing...

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, justpunt said:

Fair enough assessment, but as others noted they did get to a Superbowl, and were in the post season hunt in 2017 too.

Others have noted too, that it is a bit of a small sample size. Just as much as I do not trust coaches that try to stand in the sun of phenomenal athletes and take most of the credit for their development, I also am skeptical of a coach being measured by the lack of progress of a single player. Players have physical ceilings, they also have processes they are capable of picking up and things they are not.

I still like the hire and hope the he and Josh develop a great synergy. It is way to early to walk out on the ledge on any of these position coaching moves.

26 minutes ago, justpunt said:

Trump Sad GIF - Trump Sad Disgust GIFs

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I just thought it was interesting that when Allen came into the league that they were calling Allen "Cam Light" when it came to athletic ability

Umn......nope....Josh Allen is not "light anything" when it comes to athletic ability.......you can make the case that he needs to show refinement at the QB position itself not not in the athletic department......Josh Allen takes a back seat to nobody there.

Not sure if anyone has done it before but he is the first QB I have seen hurdle a LB.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, justpunt said:

your name choice tells me all I need to know about you

• Awesome! (+1) 1