Coonman says it wasn’t him, after yesterday’s apology ???

I have an opinion about this situation which means nothing in the scheme of things. But to those that say stupid-stuff done 35 years ago should not impact the person you are today, for the most part, I agree.  I am also extremely glad the internet, Twitter, Facebook, etc was not a thing when I was young. 

This is an interesting thread:

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

How long until the MSM digs up a picture of a Republican combat veteran wearing black facepaint?

Is it just blackface, or would a clear mask that distorted a Caucasians face to look Oriental be considered racist too? Asking for a friend.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have an opinion about this situation which means nothing in the scheme of things. But to those that say stupid-stuff done 35 years ago should not impact the person you are today, for the most part, I agree.  I am also extremely glad the internet, Twitter, Facebook, etc was not a thing when I was young. 

By graduate school you are responsible for stupid ***** you did intentionally

20 hours ago, Azalin said:

I think it's unfair to judge anyone for something like this from 35 years ago through the lens of 2019 racial sensitivity. He might have been a racist, but then again he might not - a person wearing blackface in 1984 is not a valid indicator. If he is to be judged, I'd say he was definitely guilty of poor taste, as well as a lack of sensitivity.

But on the other hand, it's tough to ignore a nickname like "Coonman".

Also tough to ignore when the guy apparently ran a campaign for Governor based entirely on calling his opponent racist.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

we talked about this last night at dinner.Yankee me with 3 people born and raised in VA , all of us in our mid-fifties. All of us agreed, including me, the blackface might not have been considered racist depending on the situation and context...but no one ever, ever thought KKK stuff was appropriate or would have ever been worn as a joke, Halloween costume etc.

Wife was the editor of her yearbook in high school in 82..she was like no way would that picture ever had made it into her yearbook, and that was in Norfolk Va..not exactly a tolerant place when it came to race in the '70s, early 80's.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

we talked about this last night at dinner.Yankee me with 3 people born and raised in VA , all of us in our mid-fifties. All of us agreed, including me, the blackface might not have been considered racist depending on the situation and context...but no one ever, ever thought KKK stuff was appropriate or would have ever been worn as a joke, Halloween costume etc.

Wife was the editor of her yearbook in high school in 82..she was like no way would that picture ever had made it into her yearbook, and that was in Norfolk Va..not exactly a tolerant place when it came to race in the '70s, early 80's.

I was also a yearbook editor and agree with your wife. I also agree that the blackface is meh (artistic expression), but the KKK stuff was completely inappropriate even 35 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

It’s Virginia

What was the photo about? The two together? Did they have the alleged Chicago noose in the room?

6 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Or, if he were found to be 1/1024 KKK  would he? Senator Byrd was more than that and he was REVERED by the Dems. 

The Dems and libs make up the rules every microsecond they have to 

When they play chess against their children they insist on making both queens for their side if they are losing 

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

The only thing that would make the KKK guy being in the photo acceptable is if the guy in Blackface was pummeling him.

Otherwise, who the heck shows up anywhere in a KKK outfit?

...and who the heck wants his photo taken next to the guy in the KKK outfit?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The Dems and libs make up the rules every microsecond they have to 

Ahen they play chess against their children they insist on making both queens for their side if they are losing 

The left has always been partial to queens.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, snafu said:

The only thing that would make the KKK guy being in the photo acceptable is if the guy in Blackface was pummeling him.

Otherwise, who the heck shows up anywhere in a KKK outfit?

...and who the heck wants his photo taken next to the guy in the KKK outfit?

The medical class of 1986 I guess

what a bunch of wild and crazy guys

• Haha (+1) 1