Coonman says it wasn’t him, after yesterday’s apology ???

I think it's unfair to judge anyone for something like this from 35 years ago through the lens of 2019 racial sensitivity. He might have been a racist, but then again he might not - a person wearing blackface in 1984 is not a valid indicator. If he is to be judged, I'd say he was definitely guilty of poor taste, as well as a lack of sensitivity.

But on the other hand, it's tough to ignore a nickname like "Coonman".

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Nothing more amusing than a hypocritical liberal twisting in the wind of scandal.

Not sure if this one will measure up to Eliot Spitzer or Anthony Weiner levels, but still should be highly enjoyable!

I think he said he’s keeping us safe from people like Trump.  

Harsh, but fair:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-01-at-18.37.55.png

How hypocritical does Northam’s racial posturing in the campaign look now?

Ralph Northam’s Nickname at VMI? “Coonman.” “But don’t worry — Democrats are defending him because of course Democrats are defending their own.”

Plus: Flashback: Northam Campaign Insinuates Gillespie, GOP Are Racist.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

why does he need to resign, Plenz? curious to your thought process on this.

I was only half joking..only half..he needs to be gone just for sheer stupidity on how he is handling this.

I  think I am  usually a pretty liberal guy on social issues, and think even I probably would have done the blackface thing in 84 in I had an inclination or thought it funny in some way, so I am not all that worked up about that...but  the KKK outfit I think none of us would have ever done.

I mean I used a ton of language back then that even I find offensive today...we change and grow no? Used a ton of homophobic language, may fun of gay dudes as we all did back then in the early '80s, and continued to do so even after one of my closest friends came out to us in 84. I never gave one lick that he was gay, never changed one thing about our freindship..and I  never had a homophobic bone in my body..but damn my language and jokes back then would sure not paint that picture.

I will say I am much more offended by Warren and the whole heritage thing then I am of this.

Edited by plenzmd1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I was only half joking..only half..he needs to be gone just for sheer stupidity on how he is handling this.

I  think I am  usually a pretty liberal guy on social issues, and think even I probably would have done the blackface thing in 84 in I had an inclination or thought it funny in some way, so I am not all that worked up about that...but  the KKK outfit I think none of us would have ever done.

I mean I used a ton of language back then that even I find offensive today...we change and grow no? Used a ton of homophobic language, may fun of gay dudes as we all did back then in the early '80s, and continued to do so even after one of my closest friends came out to us in 84. I never gave one lick that he was gay, never changed one thing about our freindship..and I  never had a homophobic bone in my body..but damn my language and jokes back then would sure not paint that picture.

I will say I am much more offended by Warren and the whole heritage thing then I am of this.

he is being coached. he opened his mouth before his handlers could get to him, thus the discrepancy/baldfaced lie.

i don't think he should resign for what he did thirty-five years ago. i think he should resign for his stance on abortion.

Just now, Foxx said:

he is being coached. he opened his mouth before his handlers could get to him, thus the discrepancy/baldfaced lie.

i don't think he should resign for what he did thirty-five years ago. i think he should resign for his stance on abortion.

I get that, and I am not a proponent of the what has gone on here and in NY. 

Having said that, I do think there are situations when a mothers life is in danger where I understand the procedure...but I am also a dude who abhors capital punishment. I have always just believed no one has the right to take another's life.

• Thank you (+1) 1

J. CHRISTIAN ADAMS ON Defending Virginia Governor Ralph ‘KKK’ Northam.

We still don’t know: did Virginia Governor Ralph Northam dress up in Klan garb, or is he the fellow in blackface? One thing we do know is that if photos of any Republican surfaced wearing either, they would have already resigned five or six times.

Ask former Mississippi Senator Trent Lott. . . .

Ralph Northam declared war on white supremacists in 2018. In 1984, he may have been dressing like one. . . .

In his extraordinary statements on pre- and post-birth abortion, Northam has secured his defense. Who needs mercy and charity when he’s already all-in on the NARAL agenda? Political ideology masquerading as forgiveness will carry Northam through with Virginia Democrats.

Three cheers for reproductive justice. It’s such an intoxicating theology for Democrats that it may even absolve blackface and KKK garb.

Both United States senators from Virginia have announced their support for Northam. Just a few days ago, old photos of Florida Secretary of State Mike Ertel in blackface emerged and Ertel was gone before the #### crowed.

I think he’s toast. But I’m kind of hoping he sticks around, just to see what Trump will say about him in the State of the Union