Interesting yet weird story on stadium bathrooms

Stevie Ray

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25894368/inside-taboo-bizarre-revealing-world-stadium-bathrooms-super-bowl-liii-nfl-2018

There's a shout out to the Ralph/New Era regarding Bills' fans and their "extracurricular" activities. Ewww.

In any event, this is definitely a subject I never really gave much thought to so it was somewhat interesting, but I had to stop eating breakfast while reading it.

FRAT. Not reading all of it! But this is so spot on: "But the urinal trough? The apparatus is a large, communal urinal that offers an egalitarian, and highly efficient, method of elimination while forcing men to pee like cattle -- shoulder-to-shoulder, with zero privacy, and often while facing each other's junk. Few things evoke our deep, strange, love-hate relationship with stadium bathrooms like the urinal trough"

Those were nasty. I'm glad they're mostly all gone. Yeah I suspect a meatgazer was the designer for that thing.

• Haha (+1) 3

I just skimmed the article, but there was no mention of having interviewed @plenzmd1 on this topic indicating some shoddy reporting. No self-respecting reporter would write an article on this topic without consulting the ultimate expert. ESPN strikes again! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Didn't bother reading it since I've lived it 8 Sunday's a year for most of the past 40+ years. Having attended the 2017 in Carolina, I was amazed that I waited until the half was done, walked down to the men's room, took a leak, and went back to my seat without waiting in a line.

I’m sorry, but shouldn’t this titled “How Buffalo Bathrooms won all bathrooms!”

I fully expect people to start buying tickets to the game next year just to wait their turn in the New Era fun factory. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buddy Hix said:

And if you raised a child that would get shagged in a New Era bathroom, you have failed as a parent. 

What if the child had been conceived in that bathroom? (Asking for a friend.)

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

What if the child had been conceived in that bathroom? (Asking for a friend.)

The child, if male, should be named Ralph Richard Jingleheimer Schmitt.  No way I’m working New Era into that.  Ralphina Richardine if female.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

This is all my opinion but the bathrooms at New Era Stadium are more than likely the worst in the NFL in my opinion.  Not only are they cramped, small, and too few, but they also get disgusting awful fast.  Especially when there’s snow or rain or inclement weather.  Just take a look at the floor and if you dropped someone in that sludge I doubt you’d want to pick it back up. The sad part is, they actually improved them over the years but they are still bad.  No comparison to stadiums like Minnesota.

I’d have to say during the Ralph Wilson Stadium days those bathrooms were pure filth.  Huge long lines.  Lots of people relieving themselves in areas outside of the trough, including the sink.  I’ve seen this multiple times.  One time I remember someone laughing their ass off when urinating in the sink....nasty.   “hey it all goes to the same place,” he said???.  Another time a woman sashayed right into the men’s room stall, came out, and washed her hands like it no big deal.

And as gross as the trough might be, the stalls are worse.  Heaven forbid you ever need to go #2.  The toilets are usually backed up big time, but that doesn’t stop people from going on top of of the mess.  This results in about 5 pounds of toilet paper and waste in the bowl.  And the constant flushing forces water up super high.  It is so gross.

I think moving forward the answer might be to build more bathrooms and staff them with about 2 attendants and 2 security guards.

The bathroom outside my section is newer, clean and usually moves quickly.

Also, it’s all about timing. Gotta use change of possessions, tv timeouts and the end of the quarter to your advantage.  

I don’t drink like a fish anymore, so 1st Q & 3rd Q break is usually good enough for me. If there’s like 20-30 seconds on the clock and whoever’s got the ball is obviously not gonna snap a play, that’s my cue to dip out quickly. 

If you wait for the official to say “that’s the end of the quarter/half” and then start moving, yeah yr gonna wait in line to wizz.

Quote:

"The bathroom outside my section is newer, clean and usually moves quickly.

Also, it’s all about timing. Gotta use change of possessions, tv timeouts and the end of the quarter to your advantage.  

I don’t drink like a fish anymore, so 1st Q & 3rd Q break is usually good enough for me. If there’s like 20-30 seconds on the clock and whoever’s got the ball is obviously not gonna snap a play, that’s my cue to dip out quickly. 

If you wait for the official to say “that’s the end of the quarter/half” and then start moving, yeah yr gonna wait in line to wizz."

This guy shows more planning, strategic and clock management ability than Rex Ryan's whole coaching staff...

Edited by Jamie Mueller
forgot to add quoted material...
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When you're in a place or festival or show with no waits at the pit stop and a place to wash your hands, you feel like you just came out of an uncivilized barbarian land you had lived all your life before.

By ourselves with manage, adapt, conquer. But add young kids to the equation and all the nasty stuff really annoys on another level

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

FRAT. Not reading all of it! But this is so spot on: "But the urinal trough? The apparatus is a large, communal urinal that offers an egalitarian, and highly efficient, method of elimination while forcing men to pee like cattle -- shoulder-to-shoulder, with zero privacy, and often while facing each other's junk. Few things evoke our deep, strange, love-hate relationship with stadium bathrooms like the urinal trough"

Those were nasty. I'm glad they're mostly all gone. Yeah I suspect a meatgazer was the designer for that thing.

One time, I was at the trough at The Ralph, shoulder to shoulder on either side with a huge crowd behind waiting for the first guy to finish, and developed a case of ‘stage fright’.

The guy to my right looks over and says, “Can’t piss, huh?”  After that, I couldn’t.

The next season I upgraded my seats to the Paul Maguire Club.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The child, if male, should be named Ralph Richard Jingleheimer Schmitt.  No way I’m working New Era into that.  Ralphina Richardine if female.

wait

That's My name too ?!

Edited by 3rdand12

True story, years ago went on a bus trip to a Bills game, bus company had a problem with the bus we were supposed to get so instead sent two of these small 20 passenger  mini buses.  Enough seats for everyone, however only one of the buses had a bathroom.  So now get to the stadium and all 40 or so people are using the bathroom on one bus.  By the time the game ended, it was literately within about 1/2" of overflowing. 

So the two buses left the stadium, got up onto 219 and pulled over, the bus without the toilet pulled behind the other one to kind of shield the view from the highway.  My bus driver then got out of the bus and pulled the plug along the side of 219!

Can you imagine a couple hours later a state trooper or someone stopping on the side of the road wondering what is that pile?  He probably called in a sighting of Big Foot is in the area!

Two things that I remember most during my college years attending Bills games at the newly opened Rich Stadium in the 1970's:

*  Women invading the men's room to take over the stalls as their kidney's overcame any disgust they might have harbored

and

*  diehard fans not wanting to miss the 2nd half KO peeing in cups and setting them on the floor.