Horrible QB Market

Doc

14 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

You think someone is going to give Foles $50M GTD?

Looking at this free agent and rookie crop? Wouldn’t surprise me. You gotta figure he’s the top QB available and going to get at least $25M per year on probably a four year contract. Typically half of the contracts are guaranteed these days so…$50M guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

I thought it was hot QB market?  Saw from that other awesome thread that there are lots of good starters and top backups to be had.

Yes and that "awesome" thread said we had 3 duds so I am assuming it was made by a football illiterate.   You can argue 1 dud and 1 suspect but not 3.  I can understand saying 1 was unproven but a dud is troll work.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Looking at this free agent and rookie crop? Wouldn’t surprise me. You gotta figure he’s the top QB available and going to get at least $25M per year on probably a four year contract. Typically half of the contracts are guaranteed these days so…$50M guaranteed. 

I suppose anything's possible, but I doubt it.  I can't see coming to your fan base and saying we've married this guy for three years.

I'd give him good money for a short term deal with team options or a long term deal that's much more affordable. I would be very willing to give him incentives. 

But more than Roethlisberger? More than Newton? For a guy who's never been a quality starter for an extended period? Nah, couldn't sell myself on that.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I suppose anything's possible, but I doubt it.  I can't see coming to your fan base and saying we've married this guy for three years.

I'd give him good money for a short term deal with team options or a long term deal that's much more affordable. I would be very willing to give him incentives. 

But more than Roethlisberger? More than Newton? For a guy who's never been a quality starter for an extended period? Nah, couldn't sell myself on that.

Like I said, pickin's are slim and he's the best guy available in FA or the draft.  I can see multiple suitors for him which will only drive his price tag up.  And they'll sell him as a SB winner.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

With a bunch of scrubs hitting the market, it's nice that the Bills don't have to waste their time chasing fool's gold.  The only guy who might have a shot at success is Foles, but would you spend $25M/year and $50M guaranteed on him to find out?

Eagles will know by early next December.

6 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

With the lack of FA QB's it sounds like the perfect storm for teams willing to over pay in the draft. Lets hope that team is some one like the skins looking for our number 9 spot. Fleece the heck out of Snyder!!!! 

...LMAO...seriously?...that clown would get outdueled by a 4 year old.......maybe he'll resign RG I 7/8............

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I mentioned Foles and Bridgewater above.  Flacco appears to be done and outside of his SB-season playoffs, has never been a great QB.

Great, no. Good, yes. And I agree with the post you were responding to. Flacco, Foles, Bridgewater, Tannehill and likely Tyrod is a better group of guys on the market than many of the years we were Quarterbackless and sifting through other people's trash. 

Maybe the Miami move starts a trend of teams moving on from guys just good enough to stop you winning. Andy Dalton next? 

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...should be a crazy market....Hoyer is set to make $3 mil.....Tannehill is at $18.25 mil......Bradford, Tuhrod, Bridgewater, Fitz, Osweiler, Cassel, Webb, Schaub,etc are UFA's(some real quality)..........allegedly Jax is in the Foles sweepstakes because Defilippo was signed as QB Coach....

Question is does Manning get added.

25 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Are QB’s any more scarce this year than any other year?

I'm talking about a starting QB.  Most years they're non-existent.  This year there's Foles. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Great, no. Good, yes. And I agree with the post you were responding to. Flacco, Foles, Bridgewater, Tannehill and likely Tyrod is a better group of guys on the market than many of the years we were Quarterbackless and sifting through other people's trash. 

Maybe the Miami move starts a trend of teams moving on from guys just good enough to stop you winning. Andy Dalton next? 

Yup.  Lots of decent backups.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Lawrence is 2021 I think. He will be a true sophmore next season so can't come out. 

You may be right.  I thought it was 2 years after graduating HS.

30 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm talking about a starting QB.  Most years they're non-existent.  This year there's Foles. 

Yup.  Lots of decent backups.

I think Joe Flacco would still be a more than capable starter somewhere. I think he might have a fire lit too by being let go. He isn't gonna win anyone a Superbowl at this stage but I could easily see him getting back to the playoffs as a starter on a new team.