Horrible QB Market

Doc

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Great, no. Good, yes. And I agree with the post you were responding to. Flacco, Foles, Bridgewater, Tannehill and likely Tyrod is a better group of guys on the market than many of the years we were Quarterbackless and sifting through other people's trash. 

Maybe the Miami move starts a trend of teams moving on from guys just good enough to stop you winning. Andy Dalton next? 

Were we, for once and to some extent, the leader in a trend when we moved on from Tyrod? 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't see Gruden as wanting Carr going forward.  He's rebuilding that team the way he wants.  Carr is/was a flash in the pan.

The same can be said for Gruden...17 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The same can be said for Gruden...17 years ago.

That we don't know yet.  For Carr, it has been proven.  The Raiders sucked before Gruden got there.  They were in free fall from a 12 win season 2 years before.

McD (sort of) blew up the roster and won 2 more games than Gruden's Raiders this year after he did the same.  And he is going into the draft with 3 1st rounders.  Isn't that a good spot to be in when you are rebuilding a steam? 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

That we don't know yet.  For Carr, it has been proven.  The Raiders sucked before Gruden got there.  They were in free fall from a 12 win season 2 years before.

McD (sort of) blew up the roster and won 2 more games than Gruden's Raiders this year after he did the same.  And he is going into the draft with 3 1st rounders.  Isn't that a good spot to be in when you are rebuilding a steam? 

Depends on what he does with the picks.  If he's making the selections, like he did in Tampa, it will be a disaster. 

As for Carr, he had a decent season this year and a decent career overall.  I wouldn't give up on him yet and if I were a Raiders fan I'd expect Gruden to fix him.  I certainly wouldn't be looking for a QB in FA or the draft this year.  And if Gruden or whoever runs that draft is smart, he'll trade one of those 1sts to get a 1st next year.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Depends on what he does with the picks.  If he's making the selections, like he did in Tampa, it will be a disaster. 

As for Carr, he had a decent season this year and a decent career overall.  I wouldn't give up on him yet and if I were a Raiders fan I'd expect Gruden to fix him.  I certainly wouldn't be looking for a QB in FA or the draft this year.  And if Gruden or whoever runs that draft is smart, he'll trade one of those 1sts to get a 1st next year.

After Carr's apex against the still bad Browns in week 4, he would not have a another 300+ yard game.  35% of his passing yards for the season came in the first 4 games.  He had 6 games with zero TD passes.  He had 4 games with as many or more INTs than TDs.  He tossed 19 TDs all year and led one of the worst scoring offenses in the league. 

His career record is 32-46....and that's with his outlier year of 12-4!. 

Maybe Gruden will keep him  around until he can draft the Kid from Clemson.  But make no mistake, Gruen sees no future with Carr in it for the Raiders.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

After Carr's apex against the still bad Browns in week 4, he would not have a another 300+ yard game.  35% of his passing yards for the season came in the first 4 games.  He had 6 games with zero TD passes.  He had 4 games with as many or more INTs than TDs.  He tossed 19 TDs all year and led one of the worst scoring offenses in the league. 

His career record is 32-46....and that's with his outlier year of 12-4!. 

Maybe Gruden will keep him  around until he can draft the Kid from Clemson.  But make no mistake, Gruen sees no future with Carr in it for the Raiders.

Actually Carr saw 300 yards again, against the Steelers.  Of course his #1 target (who had been playing like ***** but then magically found a pair of hands with the Cowboys) was gone after game 6 leaving him pretty much with just Jared Cook as a weapon.  They also had one of the worst O-lines last year. 

In any case, Gruden won't get a crack at Lawrence until 2021.  So his best move would to develop the ***** out of Carr in the meantime.  And if that doesn't work, tank 2020.  But hell, he won a SB with Brad freakin' Johnson (albeit because he knew his old teams' calls).

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Actually Carr saw 300 yards again, against the Steelers.  Of course his #1 target (who had been playing like ***** but then magically found a pair of hands with the Cowboys) was gone after game 6 leaving him pretty much with just Jared Cook as a weapon.  They also had one of the worst O-lines last year. 

In any case, Gruden won't get a crack at Lawrence until 2021.  So his best move would to develop the ***** out of Carr in the meantime.  And if that doesn't work, tank 2020.  But hell, he won a SB with Brad freakin' Johnson (albeit because he knew his old teams' calls).

"Develop" Carr???  The guy is a 6 year vet.  Develop him into...what?

His #1 target, in 2017 (when he was the #2 target), had under 700 yards.  Jordy Nelson had more yards this season in Oak.  So that "#1" production was replaced.

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

His #1 target, in 2017 (when he was the #2 target), had under 700 yards.  Jordy Nelson had more yards this season in Oak.  So that "#1" production was replaced.

He got the most out of Gannon and Johnson when they were well past 5 (how many seasons Carr actually has been in the league) years into their careers.  Carr is a far better player at this stage of his career than those guys were at the same stage, and without a "master" like Gruden working with him.  Gruden should be able to do something with him and if he can't, that's on him. 

As for Cooper, he had over 1,000 yards his first 2 seasons and was Carr's #1 target.  And then he started playing poorly, which is why they shipped him out, but he was still their most talented WR.  But even without him this year, Carr threw for more yards, had a better completion rate, and a higher YPA.  Again he had a lousy OL and Gruden would be wise to fix that in this coming draft regardless of whether he keeps Carr or not because the next guy will need a good OL as well.  He also needs playmakers.  And a defense.  Hell I don't think 3-1sts will do it, especially if he's picking the players.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well Gruden is supposedly a QB guru .  Maybe he can resurrect Carr”s career with some hands on work  ?  I doubt it thought .  I never thought much of Carr 

I'd say that Bridgewater isn't a scrub matter of fact i think given his unrelenting work ethic to come back from what could have been a career ending injury that teams will look at that as a plus .

Sure there aren't a lot of Mahomes out there for the taking but given the free agents that are it's not terrible but i am glad the Bills at this point no longer have that as a worrisome spot to fill on their roster !!

The Bills deserve credit for not keeping Taylor and trying for another 9-7 or 10-6 playoff run fooling themselves that would be enough and taking the swing they did last year. The Dolphins and Giants are case and point of what happens thinking what they had is enough and now they enter a QB market that is lackluster as heck this draft and FA wise.