Kyler Murray interview on Dan Patrick Show

YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, The Senator said:

He’s already been paid $4.2M for signing with the As, which he’ll have to return if he signs with the NFL. If money is his main concern, he’ll earn more, and sooner, in baseball.

Can he pull a Bo Jackson and play both?  I don’t even know what the rules or issues are.

I wouldn’t touch him in the draft - I don’t think anyone will, unless it’s as ‘Mr. Irrelevant ‘.

I think the biggest difference here is that he’s a QB. Playing RB (Bo) or CB (Deion) is totally different prep and leadership than QB. I do not think he could be an effective nfl Qb while playing MLB.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the biggest difference here is that he’s a QB. Playing RB (Bo) or CB (Deion) is totally different prep and leadership than QB. I do not think he could be an effective nfl Qb while playing MLB.

Excellent point, by both you and Augie - one that I did not consider.

My bad.

22 hours ago, Dopey said:

Exactly. Rumor was he told the A's $15 mil would keep him from entering the nfl draft. That's after the A's gave him $4 mil after drafting him and allowing him to play college football. I want to say I don't blame him for trying, but like you, I feel the A's should call his bluff. He would get killed as a qb in the nfl.

Based on his bland personality he may fail in other areas.

He shouldn't do any interviews at all because he's only going to be asked questions that he would be stupid to answer.

Whoever advised him to do this interview is a moron.  

As far as what he "should," do, I would like to opine that he should enter the NFL draft.  Cracking a 53-man roster will be a hell of a lot easier than making it to the big leagues.  The hype, alone, will get him drafted in the first round.  Even if he's not starting QB material, he could carve out a nice career as a backup and make a lot of money.

Baseball is much less of a sure thing for him, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, Doc said:

He's Charlie Ward 2.0.

I don’t know what that means.

1) it’s kjnda embarrassing Ward wasn’t even given a chance to play in the nfl

2) ward made millions playing basketball 

3) and I was young for Ward in college but I think Murray was a much better passer than Ward.  If size wasn’t a factor, Murray would be the first player drafts.  He was really, really good.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t know what that means.

1) it’s kjnda embarrassing Ward wasn’t even given a chance to play in the nfl

2) ward made millions playing basketball 

3) and I was young for Ward in college but I think Murray was a much better passer than Ward.  If size wasn’t a factor, Murray would be the first player drafts.  He was really, really good.

It means he was also a Heismann winner, and that he also leaned towards playing in another league (the NBA) and his size scared teams off.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

It means he was also a Heismann winner, and that he also leaned towards playing in another league (the NBA) and his size scared teams off.

Completely different era.  Ward would have been drafted if he played in this current era. Ward was Drew Brees size.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Completely different era.  Ward would have been drafted if he played in this current era. Ward was Drew Brees size.

His size was a major knock against him even back then.  And size was the reason Brees fell to the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

His size was a major knock against him even back then.  And size was the reason Brees fell to the 2nd round.

I also think it's fair to say that Brees is an anomaly.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah, that’s my point.  Because of guys like Brees, Wilson, and Mayfield, shorter qbs are not falling the way they used to.  Brees and Wilson would have been 1st rounders if they came out this year.  Charlie Ward in this era would have been given a shot at the nfl.

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, that’s my point.  Because of guys like Brees, Wilson, and Mayfield, shorter qbs are not falling the way they used to.  Brees and Wilson would have been 1st rounders if they came out this year.  Charlie Ward in this era would have been given a shot at the nfl.

Ward's best shot was in 1994.

His game was not like Brees's and certainly nothing like Wilson's and Mayfield's.  

As for the draft, Ward said he wouldn't play for the NFL if he was not drafted in the 1st round, where he thought he belonged.  Since no team thought he was a 1st rounder, they didn't draft him in subsequent rounds because they figured he wouldn't play.  And they were right.

He made a far far better living on the Knicks (solid career) than he would have in the NFL, no question.

Meanwhile, this numbness Murray could not even answer the simplest of all questions: "are you going to the combine?".

On February 1, 2019 at 1:24 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Stupid to show up for interviews like this, but if this kid was the number 9 OVERALL pick in the MLB draft, why not play baseball? Not sure if people realize what being drafted 9 overall means. You're almost certainly going to the show.

You don't realize that the MLB draft means little, especially being picked 9th.  It's all based on potential.

Here are the #9 picks of the prior 10 drafts:

2008- Aaron Crow, P,  Washington- didn't sign, 12th pick in 2009 draft by KC, 20-11 MLB record, now playing in Mexico

2009- Jacob Turner, P, Detroit- . 14-31 record in MLB, now playing in Korea

2010-  Karsten Whitson, P, SD- didn't sign out of HS, 11th rnd pick in 2014 draft by Boston, only made it to A ball

2011-  Javier Baez, INF, Cubs, All Star in 2018!

2012-  Andrew Heaney, P, Miami-  16-20 MLB record, Full time SP for Angels in 2018

2013-  Austin Meadows, OF, Pitts-  PART-time OF for Tampa in 2018, 5 HR, 16 RBI in MLB

2014-  Jeff Hoffman, P, Toronto- . 6-9 MLB record, spent most of 2018 in AAA

2015- Ian Happ, OF, CUBS- solid utility player

2016- Matt Manning, P, Detroit- only A ball to date

2017- 

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

On 2/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Well, they always say the MLB is like the QB of the defense. :lol:

On 2/3/2019 at 4:06 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Ward's best shot was in 1994.

His game was not like Brees's and certainly nothing like Wilson's and Mayfield's.  

As for the draft, Ward said he wouldn't play for the NFL if he was not drafted in the 1st round, where he thought he belonged.  Since no team thought he was a 1st rounder, they didn't draft him in subsequent rounds because they figured he wouldn't play.  And they were right.

He made a far far better living on the Knicks (solid career) than he would have in the NFL, no question.

Meanwhile, this numbness Murray could not even answer the simplest of all questions: "are you going to the combine?".

Murray hasn’t been trained to speak with the national media yet, very rare to walk into the set of a show and look good.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:47 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Why did his dad have to be there? Weird

It's how things are now. Parents going to college interviews with kids, sending complaint letters when they don't get in. And many young people can't even look another person in the eye and answer a question. It's the parents fault a lot of the time becuase they don't allow their children to take ownership or responsibility for their own lives.