Tyrod Taylor has 'nothing but love' for Buffalo

wppete

32 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Tyrod was mostly all class, but not all the time, and his pulling of the race card DID leave a bad taste. Especially since I feel the NFL and the media have a positive bias towards Black QBs, not a negative one! Look at how they gush at Lamar Jackson, like they did for RG3, Vick and so many that got the cover of mags and video games...

He couldn't dislodge Flacco yet Jackson just did (with the same HC), couldn't last here and was ousted in Cleveland, without a doubt about who is #1 there. For a running QB, Josh just outdid him in 10 games. And on and on. That being said, he is a real "bridge QB" that could start for about 8-10 of the 32 teams. In any case, he had a real chance in Buffalo, took it and sure made serious $$$$ for his production. I suspect he wasn't the brightest bulb and that's why he couldn't progress in his reads after years of experience and why coaches never connected with him.

Somehow Tyrod never managed to find out the concept that a QB draws his WR into the pass, or throws to the spot where the play is set.

Astonishing as I see almost every six year old throwing a football start to take these measurements into his mind by instinct.

I guess his whole life he threw a football back and forth with someone who also stood like a statue.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I've said nothing that would warrant action from any monderators.  I shared an unpopular opinion.  Oh, the horror.  I've called no one any names.  I've used no indecent language.  I've insulted no other TBD member.

Looking back at the comments, if I was one to run to mommy and daddy, I would be the one with a leg to stand on.  But that's not my gig.  A few people have actually attempted to discuss this issue like adults.  Many more have resorted to name calling, insulting and degrading.  How mature.  Just because I have a different belief.  And the difference in my belief can't be comprehended/understood by the biggest complainers.

Have a great day and enjoy the Super Bowl.

I find myself defending Gugny - ugh :)

Look folks, this is not going to be resolved here - maybe the mods can move this to another forum as it is good to discuss. Does racism exist - of course it does, but it is not just white's who are racist - there are plenty of blacks and more races and cultures beyond our narrow USA focus. Work long enough with global companies and you can find disdain and stereotypes for other races, cultures, and religions all over the world.

I was on the phone with a black manager back in November discussing some problems we were having getting to done on some things with our new team from India, and he literally said "monkey-see-monkey-do"....in reference to how coin-operated they tended to be. I damn-near dropped the phone. Not that I ever would, but had I said such a thing and had I been overheard I would have been unemployed that same day - yes, I am the dreaded white guy who can never have a clue - trust me, you don't know me, don't know where I grew up, how much money we had, or what skin color my friends were - so don't jump to any prejudice opinions right out of the gate (guarantee you would be wrong).

There is a double-standard that I have run across with black folks in the States where they believe that they are somehow immune and exempt from the propensity to have pre-judgments (prejudices) born of fear and basic human nature when confronted with race, social, or religious groups that are different from them. 

I have worked enough, and visited India enough to know how poor folks are there. The remnants of their caste social system is alive and well, and women (although present) often are treated as if they do not exist in the meetings I chair - until I crush that attitude. That being said I have met many good folks that work very hard and I consider them friends, and I have met some who have lied and cheated and tried to "get over on me" just as much as other races - its a human thing apparently (imagine that). When the team from Bangalore that I am currently working with wanted to see pictures of my house with my Christmas lights up, they were floored that I have such a small family living in such a huge house  (I don't live in a mansion).

I can't speak for Gugny, but I don't have any hate for Tyrod, but his comments were inappropriate and are part of the problem here in the States and not part of the solution. Most of all they did not take into account the fact that his own limited performance may have been the factor for decision-makers at OBD moving on. It was small-minded, and a stereotype perpetuated by a victim-complex mentality that gets in the way of individuals looking in the mirror and asking themselves what they could do to be better at their chosen profession - whatever that is. It is much easier just to blame others and racism than being able to accept that perhaps others are better at playing a position in football than you are. 

He was hurt, maybe even setup by the reporter (got to be smarter in this day and age of 1st amendment suppression of everyone - because SURE people can solve things by NOT talking about them), but it is a stretch to think that the coaches and decision makers who had gone on the record for being proud of working with Cam Newton and wanting to find a QB with similar abilities wanted to move on because of the color of his skin. They saw a crop of QB's coming up in the draft and they felt that those prospects had a higher ceiling than Tyrod - no conspiracy, no race card, simply evaluating ability to take this team farther and needing the draft picks to make it happen.

Ask yourself, would it have been racism if Cam Newton 2.0 was available last year and OBD moved up and took that person in the draft? They sort of did, as Josh Allen has a lot of traits that Cam had coming out, cannon of an arm, can move around, a bit raw at the position - he just isn't black.

Not really the right forum for all this, but a good thing to discuss and air out. And although I do think I have seen the ceiling of Tyrod's abilities, I do think he is better than more than a few starting QB's in the league and hopefully he gets his shot with another franchise that needs to an upgrade to that position that they cannot address via draft.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, Gugny said:

“It’s always going to be twice as bad just because of who I am – an African-American quarterback,” Taylor says, echoing a familiar refrain among people of color, regardless of professional status. “Look across the league, man. We’re held to a certain standard. We almost have to be perfect.”

“I wouldn’t say it’s just an African-American quarterback thing. It’s an African-American athlete thing – or just an African-American thing,” he says, “And that’s not anything I just found out. It’s been that way since I was a kid.”

“They claim that we’re (Taylor, Newton, Wilson) not that accurate from the pocket. I’m not sure why,” Taylor says, before adding of Rodgers and Carr: “Even though they’re ‘mobile’ guys, they don’t necessarily take on the same criticism as others. It probably is unfair.”

https://buffalonews.com/2017/10/14/tyrod-taylor-unfiltered-win-everythings-great-lose-want-crucify/

Why are people upset about this statement? He's not singling you out. Just telling it like it is. People see this as "the race card" and all they can say is shut up about race? Why? I think we should talk about it more, not less. You can't fix problems by ignoring them or pretending they don't exist even if you personally are not actively engaged in creating that problem. Get over yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Why are people upset about this statement? He's not singling you out. Just telling it like it is. People see this as "the race card" and all they can say is shut up about race? Why? I think we should talk about it more, not less. You can't fix problems by ignoring them or pretending they don't exist even if you personally are not actively engaged in creating that problem. Get over yourself.

For some there is obviously an exacting and invisible standard African-Americans must meet if they wish to offer any comments regarding race. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Not upset in the least, but do believe Tyrod was not facing the reality of the situation.

That is, that his talents had been evaluated and found wanting rather than his skin color.

Not that it should matter, but he was evaluated by two front office individuals who often refer to Cam Newton as the kind of ideal QB they were looking for talent-wise. Big, mobile, with large hands to grip the ball in adverse weather...like Allen.

Cam was a project with a lot of upside coming out of college too.

I am with you that folks should be able to take a deep breath and talk about this topic, but it is a charged one where folks tend to lose their calm. Should not be a surprise.

On 2/1/2019 at 10:46 AM, Gugny said:

It was really awesome when he whipped out the race card after showing the world how horrible of a QB he was.  Of course, it wasn't that he sucked.  It was that he's black and people simply expect more of him because of it.

He's scumbag for keeping racism alive and well.  Not a first-class guy.  Not even coach.  He's a bum and the Bills were better the day he left.

The KKK thread is two doors down 

On 2/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, GreggTX said:

He honestly answered a question posed to him in an interview.

As a person (Hotrod) who has lived his whole life as a black man and I who have lived as a black man nary a minute, I'm going to deferr to his opinion on what it's like.

As to his statement about Buffalo, for me the feeling is mutual.

i find it funny that he was the best, most productive in wins and making playoffs since Flutie. Yet they are the most trashed on TBD. And for both of them once we got to playoffs they were told, "that's OK, we'll take it from here" and the team immediately went into the tank.

Edited by reddogblitz