Tyrod Taylor has 'nothing but love' for Buffalo

wppete

He was a bridge QB until Buffalo could come up with something better.  Beane took a chance a year ago by getting rid of Tyrod before the draft, but there were cap issues to be dealt with.  No ill will, but he proved in his time in Buffalo0 that he was never going to be the long term answer.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Nm the mountain of statistical evidence that demonstrates that black athletes (and people) are judged more harshly than their white peers. 

Care to share said "statistical evidence"?

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This kind of stuff doesn't advance the argument and really only causes the discussion to dissolve.  

While you are right that most athletes are black, you have to contextualize how the judgments are being made. In this context we are talking about QBs.  That is a position that has traditionally been held by white athletes.  So while black people are the majority in the NFL as a whole, they are the minority at that position.  Thus, they are judged more harshly. 

There are other applications, but you get the basic point. 

how did i know you were going to move the goal posts? i can tell you i am not psychic. you said, and i quote, 'black athletes'.

however, on to your goal post moved tangent... i maintain my initial argument in response. the QB is the most important position on the field. do you honestly believe that an owner, a coach, the players would not want to see the best qualified man at the position? of course they would, they want to win, period. the best way to win is to put the best player at that and all other positions. be they black, white, yellow, purple or pink, all that matters is who is going to give you the best chance to win.

i am truly sorry if you took offense to my stated position that the argument is just plain stupid. i have a belief that the reason we are in the societal mess we currently find ourselves in today, is because of all the stupid ***** PC that is rampant in the world because a bunch of idiot snowflakes are too sensitive. well guess what, the only remedy for that is to be completely ***** honest and damn the torpedoes. again, i am truly sorry if my words offended you but, too bad. put your big girl panties on.

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I did above.  You are like the second person to condescendingly ask for the statistical evidence.  I have a hard time believing that anyone who exists in our society is not aware of this.  

Can you explain how your stories have effected Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes ? 

Edited by Teddy KGB

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I did above.  You are like the second person to condescendingly ask for the statistical evidence.  I have a hard time believing that anyone who exists in our society is not aware of this.  

Look I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist. 

But the article that you posted literally gives ZERO statistical evidence. It gives one or two generalized statements with absolutely no "statistics." certainly not a "mountain of statistical evidence".

I think everybody knows how die-hard Bills fans are. I want my team to win. That is all I care about. I don't give a damn if the Quarterback is green, black, white, blue, or orange. If he plays well, I like him. If he doesn't play well, I don't. I'm pretty positive if Tom Brady happened to be black, not one damn Patriots fan would be calling for his benching when he has a bad game. If Jim Kelly had happened to be black, not one Bills fan would have called for him to be benched when he had a bad game. Football fans care about the performance of their team on the field, period. Tyrod wasn't/isn't a good quarterback. His race has nothing to do with it. We had the 31st ranked passing offense under Tyrod, and we were like 12 yards from being 32nd. I liked Tyrod, especially after his first year as our QB. I was so excited, thinking that since that was only his first year actually playing, that he would continue to improve and take our team to the next level. But he proved, with a couple of 56-yard passing games, that he just isn't good. Period.

Edited by CLTbills

4 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Can you explain how your stories have effected Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes ? 

Whats really disturbing about this response is that you took the time to edit it, and it still doesn't make any sense.  I have no idea what you mean by "stories" and what that has to do with Watson or Mahomes. 

2 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Look I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist. 

But the article that you posted literally gives ZERO statistical evidence. It gives one or two generalized statements with absolutely no "statistics." certainly not a "mountain of statistical evidence".

I think everybody knows how die-hard Bills fans are. I want my team to win. That is all I care about. I don't give a damn if the Quarterback is green, black, white, blue, or orange. If he plays well, I like him. If he doesn't play well, I don't. I'm pretty positive if Tom Brady happened to be black, not one damn Patriots fan would be calling for his benching when he has a bad game. If Jim Kelly had happened to be black, not one Bills fan would have called for him to be benched when he had a bad game. Football fans care about the performance of their team on the field, period. Tyrod wasn't/isn't a good quarterback. His race has nothing to do with it. We had the 31st ranked passing offense under Tyrod, and we were like 12 yards from being 32nd. I liked Tyrod, especially after his first year as our QB. I was so excited, thinking that since that was only his first year actually playing, that he would continue to improve and take our team to the next level. But he proved, with a couple of 56-yard passing games, that he just isn't good. Period.

The article cites to two different studies on this very issue. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Whats really disturbing about this response is that you took the time to edit it, and it still doesn't make any sense.  I have no idea what you mean by "stories" and what that has to do with Watson or Mahomes. 

Tell me more about “the man” and how the weight of “the man” caused Taylor to suck. 

How did racism make him pass for 56 yards in 4 quarter games specifically? 

Edited by Teddy KGB

Tyrod carried himself with class the entire time he was with the Bills, and some people are judged harsher because not everyone judges the same, its important to acknowledge the individual side of this.  Every situation is different, and in the Bills case, they did not bench Tyrod because he was black, that was based on his play.  And then they did the same thing with the white QB, benched him because of his play and decided it was too early for him to have played.  They then followed through with their plan on the rebuild and traded a QB that they could get a 3rd round pick for and hung onto the cheap rookie whom they were going to give more time, and to fill the void until their raw 1st round draft choice was ready to take the field.

Now, are there stereotypes that exist that could be perceived as racist, probably.  There is a stereotype that the RB should be someone that is black, and a stereotype that the QBs are white.  But I don't think GMs/Coaches/Owners would sabotage themselves by taking a less talented player just because he is white.  If talent level is close though, I could certainly see where they would be more likely to choose the player that fits the stereotype which is probably a level of racism is some eyes.

And I, like many here was an adamant Tyrod supporter, even before he got to Buffalo, I liked him a lot, but he always left us Bills fans wanting more from him.  Eventually, like many others I realized he was not going to lead us to a Super Bowl, and was ready to give others a chance.  I think it was very smart to trade Tyrod when we did because his stock would never be as high as after he led our Bills to the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

how did i know you were going to move the goal posts? i can tell you i am not psychic. you said, and i quote, 'black athletes'.

however, on to your goal post moved tangent... i maintain my initial argument in response. the QB is the most important position on the field. do you honestly believe that an owner, a coach, the players would not want to see the best qualified man at the position? of course they would, they want to win, period. the best way to win is to put the best player at that and all other positions. be they black, white, yellow, purple or pink, all that matters is who is going to give you the best chance to win.

i am truly sorry if you took offense to my stated position that the argument is just plain stupid. i have a belief that the reason we are in the societal mess we currently find ourselves in today, is because of all the stupid ***** PC that is rampant in the world because a bunch of idiot snowflakes are too sensitive. well guess what, the only remedy for that is to be completely ***** honest and damn the torpedoes. again, i am truly sorry if my words offended you but, too bad. put your big girl panties on.

I contextualized to simplify and illustrate the point to you.  The basic principle applies to all athletes.  I was trying to be nice because it is a topic worth teaching people.  Belligerently dismissing  what you don't want to hear as "stupid" or "snowflake" nonsense is why you remain so ignorant.  You aren't engaging with the point at all.  Of course QB is the most important position, and of course production is most important, but that doesn't mean black players aren't dismissed and criticized faster than their white peers.  

Take for example discipline in schools.  Studies show that black students are suspended 20% (i think thats the number-its around there) more often than their white peers for the exact same offense.  Its the same basic principle in sports.  

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Tell me more about “the man” and how the weight of “the man” caused Taylor to suck. 

Are you drunk? 

5 hours ago, MJS said:

I remember this. I'm not sure why anyone still holds this against him. He has every right to feel that way whether it's accurate or not, just as people have the right to claim that there is no racial motivation in sports whether that is accurate or not. Two halves of the same coin.

Exactly. For anyone to say there no longer exists a bias is either blind or stupid, probably both. Racism still exists in this country all the way to the highest levels of our siciety. TT made a valid observation based on what he has seen 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I don't think anyone (no sane, normal person) expects a quarterback to be better because he's black.

But I do think that every black quarterback has people who hate them because they're black.

Have you ever heard someone say, "well, he's black, so I expect him to be better." ??

This is what pissed me off about his comments.  He was saying that people think he and other black QBs should be better because they're black.  That is absolutely stupid to me.  And it unnecessarily injects race into a conversation about the ability to play QB in the NFL.

I don't think he's saying that.

Instead of considering Taylor, consider that Mitch Trubisky was drafted before Deshaun Watson.

From a football perspective, that makes absolutely no sense.  Watson was the better college player and had the vastly better college career.

But there were whispers before the draft that Watson was inaccurate, that he was a product of a system, that he couldn't complete NFL throws.

So the Bears selected a QB in the draft who started 12 games on a middling program over a guy who ripped apart Alabama in the National Championship game.

Maybe the Bears had legit reasons for making the choice of Trubisky over Watson (like straight-up incompetence), but to those who play the game, this decision is baffling.

Was race a factor? Who knows, but from the perspective of a black QB, you have to wonder what more Deshaun Watson had to do to prove to the Bears that he was a better choice  than Trubisky.

I think that's what Taylor's quote was driving at.  That there seems to sometimes be an extra hurdle that black QBs have to clear to earn their place in the NFL.

Was that hurdle there for Taylor? Probably not, he is a QB with limited skills.

Was that hurdle there for Watson? Eh, I don't know, but Trubisky over Watson is an extremely difficult football argument to make.

I wonder which triggers more posts with most sentiments falling toward each end of the spectrum - a Tyrod thread or a Whaley thread?  Tough call.

I liked Tyrod and wish him well.  He was easily the best drought QB we had.  Too bad only A. Lynn knew how to get the most from him.  Dennison was useless.

Tyrod will most likely be a backup for the rest of his career; lacks too many intangibles and Lynn can't be his OC. 

8 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I contextualized to simplify and illustrate the point to you.  The basic principle applies to all athletes.  I was trying to be nice because it is a topic worth teaching people.  Belligerently dismissing  what you don't want to hear as "stupid" or "snowflake" nonsense is why you remain so ignorant.  You aren't engaging with the point at all.  Of course QB is the most important position, and of course production is most important, but that doesn't mean black players aren't dismissed and criticized faster than their white peers.  ...

24 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

you are aware that that article is referring to sports journalism and their depiction of black athletes, right? nothing whatsoever about coaches, owners is spoken to in there. as such your argument is not based upon the supporting material provided.

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Take for example discipline in schools.  Studies show that black students are suspended 20% (i think thats the number-its around there) more often than their white peers for the exact same offense.  Its the same basic principle in sports. 

now you are trying to conflate two totally different issues into being on the same level here. that does not work, sorry. to do what you are attempting to do, you have to have apples and apples, not apples and oranges, kabisch?

5 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

I don't think he's saying that.

Instead of considering Taylor, consider that Mitch Trubisky was drafted before Deshaun Watson.

From a football perspective, that makes absolutely no sense.  Watson was the better college player and had the vastly better college career.

But there were whispers before the draft that Watson was inaccurate, that he was a product of a system, that he couldn't complete NFL throws.

So the Bears selected a QB in the draft who started 12 games on a middling program over a guy who ripped apart Alabama in the National Championship game.

Maybe the Bears had legit reasons for making the choice of Trubisky over Watson (like straight-up incompetence), but to those who play the game, this decision is baffling.

Was race a factor? Who knows, but from the perspective of a black QB, you have to wonder what more Deshaun Watson had to do to prove to the Bears that he was a better choice  than Trubisky.

I think that's what Taylor's quote was driving at.  That there seems to sometimes be an extra hurdle that black QBs have to clear to earn their place in the NFL.

Was that hurdle there for Taylor? Probably not, he is a QB with limited skills.

Was that hurdle there for Watson? Eh, I don't know, but Trubisky over Watson is an extremely difficult football argument to make.

It’s also pretty hard to look at all the Trubisky UNC tapes and not want him as your QB. 

Laugh out loud, for realz. You can't win in the eyes of TSW.

BAD sayers: A football personality says something bad, or even just a hint of bad, about Buffalo and they are publicly whipped and humiliated in the forums. Put in the stockades. (to wit: the hysterical reaction when some third bit media personality made a sleight of Buffalo recently in an effort to appear clever and woke)

GOOD sayers: Say something nice about Buffalo, and there are those at TSW who will find a perceived wrinkle in your past and blast you apart... despite the sincerity you had for saying something nice.  (there are those here who have excoriated Tyrod in this thread)

It's just crazy.